News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Annoying words sellers use when advertising a car

Started by BGlover67, November 05, 2018, 11:10:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbydoug

67's or '68's for sale claiming to be all original with Lemans stripes.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Peter L.

....or headers, chrome valve covers, aftermarket wheels etc......ya right, all original.
KR 4052
1969 Fairlane Cobra formal roof drag pack

papa scoops

kjspeed

After reading this description I wondered if it was posted in the wrong thread: http://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=3815.0

With all due respect to the seller Paul, and conceding this car would be fun to drive, this checks off several of the most annoying sales pitches to wit:

Hard to find (in this case that probably is true. Not many people have taken a Lime Gold C code to this extent) 1967 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 CSS big block 594HP, #014 Car is in the Shelby "SAAC" registry. (Umm no, not the SAAC Registry) Built under license with Carol Shelby & Shelby American. 468 all aluminum Shelby big block & 5 speed manual with air conditioning, 4 wheel disc brakes, power steering, 17" x 10 inch" wide staggered (back) Shelby Alloy Wheels,("staggered rear wheels"? What does that even mean?) etc. (etc., etc., let your imagination run wild!) Being a Continuation Shelby adds the value.(if you don't believe it just check the current price of a Lime Gold 289 2bbl auto) The car will forever be in the Shelby Registry (however it will NEVER be in the actual SAAC Registry) and with the upgraded parts (twice as much fiberglass as the original but with the same humped up hood) that make the car more modern it falls into the category of a restomod rather than just a restored car. (based on my math, that should add at least $100k to the price) Ran it at Texas Motor Speedway this car is a Beast! (check out the pictures of it running away from the General Lee at TMS - hoo boy it's FAST!)THE CAR WAS FIRST SOLD BRAND NEW ON APRIL 23, 2012 (except for the actual REAL first time it was sold back in 1966) AND  BOUGHT AT 225k THE BILL OF SALE IS WITH ALL THE PAPERWORK. THIS IS YOUR CHANCE TO GET IT NOW FOR A STEAL (c'mon, buying a car that someone once bought for $225k for only $145k - that's almost like robbing $80 grand from a bank and getting away with it!) ONLY HAS 1215  MILES. (that's only 810 laps around TMS - less than 2 races!) I'm a private owner Grubb Motorsports maintains and stores my classic cars. Title in hand. (and I'm gonna hold it right here in my hand until someone buys it just so I don't lose it) Make sure to watch the YouTube video on the bottom of the page. DONT HIT THE BUY IT NOW OR BID ON THIS CAR IF YOU CANT AFFORD IT (even though it's a "steal" I will actually need the cash before you get the keys) I'VE HAD THIS INCIDENT HAPPEN TWICE!! (therefore I am warning you IN ALL CAPS and I've put an extra exclamation point at the end - don't make me relist it with 3 exclamation points!!!)
1968 Shelby GT350
1968 Mustang GT S-code
2009 Mustang Bullitt

CSX2259

"......and will be registered in the SAAC Registry"

shelbydoug

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

SNAKEBIT

My HUGE pet peeve, is when an idiot calls it restored, AND IT'S NOT!!! I hate seeing these ads, video or otherwise, when they say its been restored, then I see it and ask myself "restored to WHAT exactly?" The paint is not the correct shade, the tires are not factory and lots of other stuff I see, is not factory. Why can't they just be honest and say, it has been refurbished with all new parts, some of which, are not factory-correct. Wouldn't that just be so much more honest and in keeping with someone who wishes to be seen as being on the up-and-up? Geeesh! >:(
Waitin' for the day I get my first '70 Shelby convertible!

69mach351w

SNAKEBIT, that's because they're ignorant and need to be taught. I hear the word restored all the time on eBay,Craigslist,etc., and they are clueless as to what the word actually means.

For years the word restored simply meant painting the vehicle, rebuilding the motor, putting on wheels and tires.

And to this day most think that's still what is meant by the word restored. If you're in the market to buy something, simply just look over their ignorance when you go inspect a possible purchase and go from there.

Like one said here earlier, you'd be amazed at what you can find from people that are simply clueless to any condition of a vehicle and just throw the "restored" word out there.

1967 eight barrel

I'd be careful slinging the word "Idiot" around. You can restore a vehicle without it remaining as factory.  I did more in the line of restoration than many so-called Shelby specialized shops do. I would never own a trailer queen. So there are some practical safey-related changes and a few factory chrome plated parts but it remains in stock external form. Just shiny and a much nastier engine.  Not a single nut or bolt was left on the unibody. It was a rust-free low mileage vehicle that a young driver found the back of a cement truck with.
The entire vehicle was done with AMK fasteners, or re-plated factory items, many NOS and original restored components as well. I did all the work but paint and machine work myself. Countless hours blasting parts and painting them, many having to be repaired.
The difference is my vehicle doesn't look like every other Shelby. Cold, stock and more often than not in mediocre condition.
The inside of the vehicle and the quality of work I did is self-evident. In my opinion 1967 has the most stunning interior of them all, especially White/Parchment.
I put my 15" Magstars away because rubber choices in 15" aren't really practical for any high horsepower application.  I'll pass on Throughbred and Concours class competition for a well running safe vehicle.
There is nothing done that isn't easily returned to the way it was made. No Rack and pinion steering, Coyote motor, chopped up transmission tunnel for a six speed. Just a fire-breathing 512 HP FE with a four speed and a 3.50 locker.
I did wire 1967 Cougar sequentials in. Nothing cut under the dash. The extra electrical was hidden in the left side quarter area.

Just remember, not everyone has the same taste but not one can accuse me of butchering anything on the vehicle to make anyone but a stalwart cringe because their vehicle lives on a trailer.  They are meant to be driven.

SNAKEBIT

Eight Barrel, I think we have a much different idea of what restored it. Restored to what, is the question that comes to mind when I see or hear that word out of someone's mouth. I reserve the word "idiot" for people say restored, which does imply that it is restored back to, what else?, FACTORY, not restored back to when it was 10 years old and had a few mods done by some past owner. It means and it implies, restoration to what it originally was. I give you Miriam-Webster . . . "3 : to bring back to or put back into a former or original state : renew".
Waitin' for the day I get my first '70 Shelby convertible!

Chris Thauberger

Quote from: SNAKEBIT on November 26, 2018, 09:11:53 PM
Eight Barrel, I think we have a much different idea of what restored it. Restored to what, is the question that comes to mind when I see or hear that word out of someone's mouth. I reserve the word "idiot" for people say restored, which does imply that it is restored back to, what else?, FACTORY, not restored back to when it was 10 years old and had a few mods done by some past owner. It means and it implies, restoration to what it originally was. I give you Miriam-Webster . . . "3 : to bring back to or put back into a former or original state : renew".

+1

This is why it's an annoying word sellers use. Even on this site some have differing definitions  ;)

Chris
Being the "All time post count king" on a forum is kinda like being rich in Monopoly

Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500

Restomod is another word that varies greatly in definition.

JD

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Chris Thauberger

Quote from: 2112 on November 26, 2018, 10:15:09 PM
Restomod is another word that varies greatly in definition.

I don know, either your car is restored or it's a restomod.

We used to just say it was custom.

Chris
Being the "All time post count king" on a forum is kinda like being rich in Monopoly

Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500