News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1967 GT500 on Bring A Trailer # 1121

Started by silverton_ford, January 18, 2021, 10:05:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverton_ford

Link to the auction - https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-shelby-mustang-gt500-5/

This Shelby Mustang is one of 2,048 GT500 fastbacks produced for the 1967 model year and was completed by Shelby American, Inc. on April 5, 1967. The car was delivered new to McAnary Ford in Gary, Indiana and later relocated to Colorado, where it was refurbished with a repaint and interior overhaul in 2013. Power comes from a replacement 428ci Police Interceptor V8 backed by a four-speed manual transmission, and additional equipment includes the Extra Cooling Package, power steering and brakes, a tachometer, and a fold-down rear seat. This GT500 was acquired by the seller in 2014 and is now offered in Minnesota with a reproduction window sticker, an Elite Marti Report, a SAAC Shelby Registry Report, and a clean California title in the seller's name.

The GT500 was introduced in 1967 as a higher-powered alternative to the Shelby GT350, and featured special exterior details including an elongated fiberglass hood and nose extension, a fiberglass trunk lid, a Kamm-type rear end with an integrated, horizontal sequential taillights, and functional brake ducts in the rear quarter panels. This example was  finished in Wimbledon White (1619-A) from the factory, and was repainted in 2013. Guardsman Blue racing stripes replaced previous lighter blue versions according to the seller.

Kelsey-Hayes Mag Star-style alloy wheels are mounted with Goodyear Speedway 350 tires sized E70-15 all around. The power-assisted braking system features discs up front and drums out back.

The refurbished cabin is trimmed in black vinyl with matching carpets and brushed aluminum accents on the dash and door panels. A Shelby-specific roll bar is retained, and amenities include the Interior Decor and Courtesy Light groups as well as three-point front seatbelts, a fold-down rear seat, and a RetroSound stereo.

The wood-rimmed steering wheel wears a Shelby horn button and frames a 140-mph speedometer and a tachometer with a 6k-rpm redline. Stewart Warner gauges for oil pressure and amperage are mounted under the dash. The five-digit odometer shows 57k miles, approximately 500 of which have been added by the seller.

The replacement 428ci Police Interceptor V8 is fed by dual Holly four-barrel carburetors and wears a Cobra air cleaner as well as matching ribbed valve covers. The car was ordered new with the Extra Cooling Package. Additional underhood details include a vintage Autolite-style battery cover, a windshield washer fluid bag, an export brace, and a Monte Carlo bar.

Power is sent to the rear wheels via a four-speed manual transmission. Additional underbody photos are included in the gallery below.

Refurbishment photos depict various stages of bodywork with the car partially disassembled.

The Elite Marti Report lists factory colors, options, and production data, and is accompanied by reproduction window sticker. A copy of the Shelby daily production log listing GT500 # 1121 is also included along with a Shelby Registry Report from the Shelby American Automobile Club.

acapulco350

that's clean looking machine

the snow and blue wall make it look even better

I am sure it will be another high dollar car like all the others have been lately

it would look good parked in my driveway  :)

Snow also illustrates how different Wimbledon white is from a true (untinted) bright white.

Bob Gaines

The snow doesn't cover up the fact that the car has what appears as two torque boxes and and covered up 68 marker lights. ;) Anyone care to extrapolate what that signifies?
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Coralsnake

OOOOOOooooo, OOOOOooooo

Pick me , pick me!

Two torque boxes means there is a high likely hood someone has seriously messed with the body, that is of course, if that is the original body?

One torque box is standard on a 1967 fastback and I believe it's on the driver's side only.

And that's a hideous detailing job to boot.

The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

KR500

Quote from: Bob Gaines on January 18, 2021, 01:13:52 PM
The snow doesn't cover up the fact that the car has what appears as two torque boxes and and covered up 68 marker lights. ;) Anyone care to extrapolate what that signifies?
First off I know nothing about this particular car. The holes in the quarter panels are not as either style of 68 markers lights would be but as a 69 would IMHO. I have also seen someone add the right hand torque box to a 67 Shelby. Not that this is the case but just saying. It does raise some red flags.   
Rodney Harrold,Ohio SAAC Rep,SAAC 68 Shelby Concourse Judge,68 GT500KR 02267

67_1183

Here is a picture of the marker light from the July 2013 eBay listing.
2nd owner of 67 GT500 #1183 since September 1976

Shelby4Life

I asked about the rear marker light holes, and he responded that they were added by a previous owner, that the quarters weren't replaced.
1967 Sprint 289 Auto, Deluxe, AC.
1967 S Code GTA Deluxe, AC.
2004 Gated 6-speed Ferrari 360.

Coralsnake

1967 and 1968 quarters are different. In the other photos they appear to be 1967 quarters.
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

honker

There was another '67 on the forum in the last while that also had the side markers added, it was in Colorado, owned by a lady ?

can't find it in files at the moment  ::) in the description it said they were added in '70 because it was mandated for cars from '68

onwards.

Mike

PS:  found it   ;) corrected my post, the car was a GT500 #01847. with all this down time, I should be better organized !

Bob Gaines

I find it funny that there seems by the responses more concern about the covered up marker lights then the additional torque box typically only seen on 68's. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

Quote from: honker on January 18, 2021, 05:31:07 PM
There was another '67 on the forum in the last while that also had the side markers added, it was in Colorado, owned by a lady ?

can't find it in files at the moment  ::) in the description it said they were added in '70 because it was mandated for cars from '68

onwards.

Mike

PS:  found it   ;) corrected my post, the car was a GT500 #01847. with all this down time, I should be better organized !
I haven't seen extra marker lights on other pre 68 US driven cars before. It may be a regional thing or some overzealous DMV dictator given such a minuscule percentage of pre 68 cars seemed to have gotten retrofitted with them . I have only heard accounts of this ever being mandated on EU and UK cars.

6s2055

Don't remember the brace in front of the carbs! Know mine didn't have it.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 6s2055 on January 18, 2021, 06:55:02 PM
Don't remember the brace in front of the carbs! Know mine didn't have it.
The Monte Carlo was not used on any 67 Shelby regular production cars from the factory. The bump out curve on the tube in the auction car is a cosmetic aftermarket addition to accommodate oval air cleaners. Ironically the bump out curve effectively negates the stiffing effect that the bars purpose was on 65/66 GT350's by allowing side to side flex in that area . A straight bar of course will not flex side to side .

JD

Quote from: honker on January 18, 2021, 05:31:07 PM

onwards.

Mike

Here's a photo of it...
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0