News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Original 66 Mustang Owner's Manual?

Started by deathsled, December 16, 2023, 06:25:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

Had a Shelby buddy over today and we were going over stash of leftover bolts and hardware for Mustang/ Shelby stuff and found this among my father's car stash. I saw it while I was packing his stuff in Toronto but was dismissive of it being original. Upon closer look it might be original because they would not make reproductions in English and French I suspect. Opinions? I was admonished for leaving the crankshaft (believed to be part of the heart of 843) in the garage. The crankshaft is now safely in my bedroom closet along with the engine. My buddy said the crankshaft should have an orange paint dot where the factory hit it with a hammer to determine something about nitride or the like. It does not have the dot but said it might have washed off in a hot tank if the crankshaft was cleaned.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Bob Gaines

Quote from: deathsled on December 16, 2023, 06:25:12 PM
Had a Shelby buddy over today and we were going over stash of leftover bolts and hardware for Mustang/ Shelby stuff and found this among my father's car stash. I saw it while I was packing his stuff in Toronto but was dismissive of it being original. Upon closer look it might be original because they would not make reproductions in English and French I suspect. Opinions? I was admonished for leaving the crankshaft (believed to be part of the heart of 843) in the garage. The crankshaft is now safely in my bedroom closet along with the engine. My buddy said the crankshaft should have an orange paint dot where the factory hit it with a hammer to determine something about nitride or the like. It does not have the dot but said it might have washed off in a hot tank if the crankshaft was cleaned.
Originals manuals typically had a coupon in the back which had lines and perforations in the paper to show you and so it would tear out . Repros took short cuts and just put the lines on the paper with no perforations. Regardless it is too damaged to have any real resale value only nostalgia value at this point IMO. DO NOT STORE the crankshaft laying down on its side. Only store standing up.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

deathsled

Quote from: Bob Gaines on December 16, 2023, 07:50:14 PM
Quote from: deathsled on December 16, 2023, 06:25:12 PM
Originals manuals typically had a coupon in the back which had lines and perforations in the paper to show you and so it would tear out . Repros took short cuts and just put the lines on the paper with no perforations. Regardless it is too damaged to have any real resale value only nostalgia value at this point IMO. DO NOT STORE the crankshaft laying down on its side. Only store standing up.

Yes agreed, even if original, it is too damaged (also admonished by friend regarding its condition).  It was my father's and he never had a 66 so maybe he got it from someone.  It is in its found as condition.
Regarding the crankshaft I screwed up.  It has been lying on its side since I moved into the house back in 2006.  I suspect your storage suggestion is to prevent the crankshaft from warping or developing a bend?  It's way too late now.  Not cool what I did to it.  Not cool at all.

deathsled

More photos of manual. It is a curiosity piece for me. And the crank is missing the AAA, triangle and X markings that indicate a Brinnell test.
Found one lonely K stamping. Adding it here.

CharlesTurner

Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

s2ms

Check the crankshaft rear counterweight for a polished area on the outside surface...
Dave - 6S1757

deathsled

Quote from: s2ms on December 17, 2023, 02:42:08 AM
Check the crankshaft rear counterweight for a polished area on the outside surface...
I took a look. Perhaps this is the polished area? Ultimately, even if it is an original hipo crank, isn't it junk given its age and compared to what we have today? Hasn't its tensile strength weakened over time? It is a curiosity however.

deathsled

Looked at some photos online. I don't think that is it. Polish is much more prominent on other pictures and bigger and not in that spot.