News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Removing and straightening a steering wheel

Started by deathsled, May 05, 2024, 08:39:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

Looks like it worked out okay.  Note how I wrote "looks like." Opinions may vary.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

CharlesTurner

When the front end is properly aligned, the steering box shaft index mark should point to the 12 o'clock position.  This centers the worm gear/sector shaft the same turns lock to lock.  There is a mark on the steering wheel where the marks should line up.  I'd put the steering wheel on the proper alignment to the shaft and take it back to whoever did the alignment and have them re-do it.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

deathsled

Quote from: CharlesTurner on May 05, 2024, 09:51:43 PMWhen the front end is properly aligned, the steering box shaft index mark should point to the 12 o'clock position.  This centers the worm gear/sector shaft the same turns lock to lock.  There is a mark on the steering wheel where the marks should line up.  I'd put the steering wheel on the proper alignment to the shaft and take it back to whoever did the alignment and have them re-do it.
Thank you for the information.  I had it aligned a while ago like maybe four years ago maybe more.  I will take it for another alignment, somewhere else.  Slow and steady wins the race.  My friend RIP always asked what about "Fast and steady?"

deathsled

So as I thought more about your observations Mr. Turner, does the mark being more to the left when the alignment was done therefore translate to my steering wheel being unable to turn full left to its maximum lock and being able to turn too far over to the right?  That sounds a bit perilous.

CharlesTurner

Quote from: deathsled on May 05, 2024, 10:56:41 PMSo as I thought more about your observations Mr. Turner, does the mark being more to the left when the alignment was done therefore translate to my steering wheel being unable to turn full left to its maximum lock and being able to turn too far over to the right?  That sounds a bit perilous.

That's correct.  It's probably not too noticeable being about a 1/4 of a turn off, but should be fixed.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

deathsled

Quote from: FL SAAC on May 06, 2024, 07:43:55 AMGreat tutorial,  keep them coming!
Welcome. Everyone on this site has done this. Like child's play for them. A new experience for me. Very rewarding when it works.  I also suspect my turning radius counterclockwise has diminished because the wheel was not centered during the alignment. A lot of thought went into making these cars. I remain very impressed with this car.