News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Ford Blue engine paint

Started by TS69GT500, January 20, 2021, 04:14:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TS69GT500

Who is producing the most accurate late 60's (if that makes a difference)  Ford blue engine paint at this time?
Or are the top restorers having theirs custom mixed ?
I have spray equip and a compressor,  so no spray bomb no problem.

Thanks,
TonyS

Corey Bowcutt

As far as spray bombs are concerned I tried no less that 5 different brands and found the OMNI-FILL AP-EB Ford Dark Corporation Blue to be the best match for the color of my 68 302.  But there is no guarantee that my engine is the correct color so by all means get other opinions.

Corey

TOBKOB

There were more than one color of Ford blue paint used... :)

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

Bob Gaines

Quote from: TS69GT500 on January 20, 2021, 04:14:04 PM
Who is producing the most accurate late 60's (if that makes a difference)  Ford blue engine paint at this time?
Or are the top restorers having theirs custom mixed ?
I have spray equip and a compressor,  so no spray bomb no problem.

Thanks,
TonyS
Many restorers use the professional line factory packaged PPG Ford engine blue and then add flattener to adjust the sheen as it is too glossy . Use the search option to get the exact PPG code if your PPG store can't find it.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

This might help with using the search function. (If you can't give it an exact name....well good luck on it giving you any decent results).

Anyway, this was in my files;

PPG Delstar # DAR13358 Blue.

Royce Peterson

1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

shelbydoug

I personally have seen three different shades of "Corporate Blue" on original Ford engines.

Using the PPG I suppose to standardize the shade has it's merrits but have doubts as to it's 100% accuracy.

It is my understanding, right or wrong, that the color is somewhat of a "batch color" and varies at least from plant to plant.

Probably the closest answer to your question is to ask someone in authority like a head judge, what they would "expect" to see on an engine, if not even a specific engine series, since the shade does seem to vary for instance from a 428, to a 351 and a 302. Some lighter. Some darker.

"Good luck with that", in determining which is right since I don't think there is any sort of "Standardization", just more common opinions based on observations?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Coralsnake

QuoteProbably the closest answer to your question is to ask someone in authority like a head judge, what they would "expect" to see on an engine.

That worked really well on the under carriage, after three national judges chimed in.

🤷‍♂️
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

shelbydoug

Quote from: Coralsnake on January 21, 2021, 09:58:59 AM
QuoteProbably the closest answer to your question is to ask someone in authority like a head judge, what they would "expect" to see on an engine.

That worked really well on the under carriage, after three national judges chimed in.

🤷‍♂️

It's probably the best advice to give. Some are just looking for standardization where it's entirely possible and arguable that there isn't any?

It doesn't really matter who is right as long as someone is. I'm not the one who needs to be right. I can't speak for others. Many do an excellent job of shooting themselves in the foot without me even encouraging that.  8)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on January 21, 2021, 09:51:52 AM
I personally have seen three different shades of "Corporate Blue" on original Ford engines.

Using the PPG I suppose to standardize the shade has it's merrits but have doubts as to it's 100% accuracy.

It is my understanding, right or wrong, that the color is somewhat of a "batch color" and varies at least from plant to plant.

Probably the closest answer to your question is to ask someone in authority like a head judge, what they would "expect" to see on an engine, if not even a specific engine series, since the shade does seem to vary for instance from a 428, to a 351 and a 302. Some lighter. Some darker.

"Good luck with that", in determining which is right since I don't think there is any sort of "Standardization", just more common opinions based on observations?
Yes there is a range of slight shade changes. Just like many things that have a range of expectations the concours judges use their expertise to make a call. I suggested the PPG shade and product because first the shade is well within the accepted range of expectations for 66-70 Shelby and two because the two part paint has superior durability.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

CharlesTurner

NPD matched the original 13358 for spray cans.  It probably will hold up ok on cars with minimal use.  There are other options with using urethane with hardener that might be a better choice.  Although, any of these are dependent on surface preparation.

As to different shades of blue, yes that happened, but with age/heat cycles on painted parts over time, that's something that would be hard to say one way or the other...  especially on a restored car.  Also consider that the shade of paint is also dependent on how much is applied and we have seen original paint engines with very little paint to runs all over the oil pan.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

shelbydoug

Quote from: CharlesTurner on January 21, 2021, 10:37:33 AM
NPD matched the original 13358 for spray cans.  It probably will hold up ok on cars with minimal use.  There are other options with using urethane with hardener that might be a better choice.  Although, any of these are dependent on surface preparation.

As to different shades of blue, yes that happened, but with age/heat cycles on painted parts over time, that's something that would be hard to say one way or the other...  especially on a restored car.  Also consider that the shade of paint is also dependent on how much is applied and we have seen original paint engines with very little paint to runs all over the oil pan.

Ah, that leads me to another tech question which I will start a new post on rather then derail this one. ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

TOBKOB

On my car I was able to take the snorkel off the air cleaner and match to the unexposed original paint between the two parts... :)

TOB

Bob Gaines

Quote from: TOBKOB on January 21, 2021, 09:23:04 PM
On my car I was able to take the snorkel off the air cleaner and match to the unexposed original paint between the two parts... :)

TOB
It was not unusual for the snorkel to be a slightly different shade compared to the ram air base.

TOBKOB

The paint between the snorkel and base was the same shade and very good condition and that is where I matched the color. My air cleaner base and snorkel seemed to me to be a match, at least not a noticeable difference. Some may vary but I don't think mine did. :)

TOB