News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Was not sure where to list this....

Started by 67 GT350, April 22, 2022, 05:30:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

67 GT350

In Knoxville today it was sunny and 80 plus degrees. Took my 3 cars out for a ride.

66 GT350, guage shows hot but that might be The Normal? no signs of overheating, I did top it off so it did spew a little, but not much, upper hose was hot and tire to squeeze.
67 GT350, guage almost midway, not really overheating, but it did spew more, upper hose same as the 66. I did top it off.
70 Boss 302, guage shows nice, but it spewed, upper hose same as above, topped it off also.

Is it because I topped them off? I have done that before and once they are done spewing, they seem fine however level seems very low. Are any factory gauges to be trusted? All radiators have been cleaned and serviced. Not sure on the caps but the 66 has a 14 on it, the other two have a 13 with the 67 being the loosest and the 66 being super tight.

Do I have issues? I would like to take one to cars and coffee Sunday?
RARE  Signature Delete

shelbydoug

You most likely need to pressure test the caps. The caps should be able to hold the 12 or 14 psi they are rated at.

It is very common for the caps not to be holding pressure. I can say that because I have invested in a pressure tester and has become part of a regular maintenance routeen to test all of my caps annually.

The Stant kit is about $110.

The fluid level cold on any of those cars should not be more then about 1/2" over the tops of the fins.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

67 GT350

Good info! The 66 has a super tight cap, and maybe the others need that also...I will look into a tester.
RARE  Signature Delete

98SVT - was 06GT

Water expands when it gets hot. Topping them off will mean some gets expelled when they come up to temp. About 1/2 below the neck is normal fill.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

FL SAAC

What they said and :

Look at the lower hose it may be soft  or collapsing causing to heat up.

But more than likely you topped it off and it's just belching the excess

Buena suerte  !
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

TA Coupe

If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

J_Speegle

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on April 22, 2022, 05:55:32 PM
Water expands when it gets hot. Topping them off will mean some gets expelled when they come up to temp. About 1/2 below the neck is normal fill.

+1  You can keep filling them all the way to the top and they will just keep spitting it out. Easy to forget though ::)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge