News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Stuck drivers door

Started by kasearch@ix.netcom.com, May 07, 2024, 01:51:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kasearch@ix.netcom.com

I don't know how it happened, but when I closed the drivers door on my car, it is now stuck and will not come open using the outside push button or the inside door release.  I cannot get the lock button to move either.  Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get the door open. And what could cause this condition, so I can fix the issue? This is a 69 GT500.

tesgt350

Sounds like something in the Door Latch might be is a bind.  Try using your Hand and hitting the door hard (without denting it) a few times and see if that jars it enough to unbind it. 

Lincoln tech

Coralsnake

I would suggest:

Make sure the door catch is fully engaged by pushing the door shut, if its not fully closed

..unscrewing the plastic lock knob on top of the  door. Trying grabbing the rod with a vise grips and see if you can pull it up.

If that doesnt work, you will have to try to remove the door panel from the inside

There are not many other options everything is internal. It either was  not assembled correctly or something is broken

The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

Bill

Quote from: kasearch@ix.netcom.com on May 07, 2024, 01:51:21 PMI don't know how it happened, but when I closed the drivers door on my car, it is now stuck and will not come open using the outside push button or the inside door release.  I cannot get the lock button to move either.  Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get the door open. And what could cause this condition, so I can fix the issue? This is a 69 GT500.

Is the button on the outside of the door stuck in the pushed in position?
Can you open the door from inside the car?

Just asking for a little clarification.

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

kasearch@ix.netcom.com

The button is pushed fully in, and I can feel that the rod that the button is on, is stuck. With a piece of tape, I can pull the button out and to the end of the rod, but the mechanism is still in the pushed in position. I cannot open the door from the inside by pulling the inner handle. I have tried to push against the door from the outside, but no luck.

Bill

Quote from: kasearch@ix.netcom.com on May 07, 2024, 03:43:22 PMThe button is pushed fully in, and I can feel that the rod that the button is on, is stuck. With a piece of tape, I can pull the button out and to the end of the rod, but the mechanism is still in the pushed in position. I cannot open the door from the inside by pulling the inner handle. I have tried to push against the door from the outside, but no luck.

This is going to sound strange, did you try to lock and unlock the door with your key before doing anything else? Try it, then try opening the door from the inside again. Forget about whether it moves the pull lock rod above, try turning the key (gently as normal) one way fully, try the door, then the other way, try opening the door.

I also think you need to respond to Pete's question above asking about the door being firmly closed all the way. Also check on his suggestion to try and pull up on the lock mechanism rod at the top rear of the door panel. Then try to open door from inside the car again and let us know how that goes.

Bill

Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

kasearch@ix.netcom.com

The key does NOT turn at all. I removed the lock button and tried pulling the rod using vice grips - no luck.  And the door is firmly closed.  Sorry about not answering that question.

67 GT350

It happen to me, I kept on working all three inside, outside and door lock....and as I moved each one slowly I tapped with my hand around those points on the outside of the door and inside, got a slim jim and got it to open, not sure what really got it open but its all good now!
RARE  Signature Delete

Coralsnake

Actually, if you can find someone that has a slim jim that is a good idea. Am old school two truck driver maybe able to grab the inner workings and pull it open
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

J_Speegle

Quote from: Coralsnake on May 07, 2024, 06:23:55 PMActually, if you can find someone that has a slim jim that is a good idea. Am old school two truck driver maybe able to grab the inner workings and pull it open

+1 Much easier than another option of pulling the door panel and getting at it from that side. If the rod has fallen off the lock cylinder your have to try and find (with the slim jim) arm at the door latch. That's going to be fun. Used these a fair amount on the job and carry a full set of lock tools in the truck for some reason  ::)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Royce Peterson

Had the same issue recently. It turns out (in my case) one of the springs in the latch assembly had rusted away causing the latch to fail. I had to remove the door panel (wrecked it) and then was able to open the door. I was able to make another spring using a spring from Ace Hardware. Put the latch back in and it works fine.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock