News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Tri power intake

Started by deathsled, May 06, 2024, 04:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

I might have a bead on an old Ford three-two barrel setup and was wondering if it would add some decent power to the car.  As everyone probably knows by now, my car is a day two car with a 302 roller rocker setup. Edelbrock midrise intake and Holley 650 double pumper currently. (Original Cobra intake in closet with engine).  I believe that the Monte Carlo bar would clear such a setup though it would be a close shave.  I'd rather keep the original bar intact than go for a curve at the center of the bar that defeats the purpose.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

SFM6S

The three-2 setup would look good and once properly set up will be very driveable. The Monte Carlo bar will have to be removed to clear the air cleaner.

deathsled

Quote from: SFM6S on May 06, 2024, 05:26:39 PMThe three-2 setup would look good and once properly set up will be very driveable. The Monte Carlo bar will have to be removed to clear the air cleaner.
I really don't want to remove that bar. What about individual air cleaners being one over each carburetor?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: deathsled on May 06, 2024, 04:27:04 PMI might have a bead on an old Ford three-two barrel setup and was wondering if it would add some decent power to the car.  As everyone probably knows by now, my car is a day two car with a 302 roller rocker setup. Edelbrock midrise intake and Holley 650 double pumper currently. (Original Cobra intake in closet with engine).  I believe that the Monte Carlo bar would clear such a setup though it would be a close shave.  I'd rather keep the original bar intact than go for a curve at the center of the bar that defeats the purpose.
I would go with different heads before I tried to reinvent the wheel with the tri power setup. Especially if you wanted more power and still a somewhat original look. The heads will not look so out of place like a tri power set up will . The 650 double pumper and linkage is a no brainer . The tri power not so much. Just my 2 cents you do you. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Fastbackfred

That is way too much fuel for anything other than high rpm racing. I'd stick with the 650.

shelbydoug

Somewhere there is a picture of Jeff Burgy's '66 GT350 with the 3x2 intake and a Cobra oval air cleaner.

He has the Monte Carlo bar running through the air cleaner. It can be done.

As far as heads go, there are lots of reasonably priced aftermarket aluminum heads available that out perform anything from the '60s including the factory race heads.

If you are thinking of going that route I will point out that the 3x2 intake manifold itself is not cabable of flowing the same numbers as the current aftermarket heads.

For example, the heads that I am using are AFR 195's. Out of the box they flow 296cfm @ .550" valve lift. They come fully CNC ported with 2.02" intakes and 1.60 exhausts.

The 3x2 intake will not match up flow wise with that. At best you are looking at 225cfm ported. The restriction is in the intake manifold itself.

You need to go to the 2x4 Trans Am intake to get into the ball park and that is only good for about a 255cfm flow.

Apparently the '66 has less hood clearance for these multi carb set ups. My 68 uses the Monti Carlo bar, the Cobra air cleaner and the C60E 2x4 intake and has room to spare.

Bring the car to me, a suitcase full of cash and I'll get it all to fit and work. ;D
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

deathsled

Thank you for all of your insights gentlemen. I have decided to leave it alone and stick to the 650 double pumper.

trotrof1

If you have the heads re worked to R model specs then even the 715 works as it should.

TA Coupe

I don't know about hood clearance for the different years but I have the same 2x4 setup that shelbydoug has and I used 1in. phenolic spacers under the carbs in order to clear the export brace and monte carlo bar. 3x2 setup should be great for a daily driver that you just jump on once in awhile and give you better gas mileage and in my opinion they look good. If performance is what you're after then stick with what you have or go with a 2x4 setup if you also want the WOW factor.

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

deathsled

I need to really learn the ins and outs of carburetors first.  I have two Holleys sitting around and plan to deconstruct one to see what makes it tick.  I have a rudimentary comprehension of how they work but need to take the deep dive.

FL SAAC

Quote from: deathsled on May 07, 2024, 12:16:25 AMI need to really learn the ins and outs of carburetors first.  I have two Holleys sitting around and plan to deconstruct one to see what makes it tick.  I have a rudimentary comprehension of how they work but need to take the deep dive.

Funny that you mention this;

6 Things That Make Living with a Carburetor Easier

https://www.saac.com/forum/index.php?topic=26779.0
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

shelbydoug

Quote from: deathsled on May 07, 2024, 12:16:25 AMI need to really learn the ins and outs of carburetors first.  I have two Holleys sitting around and plan to deconstruct one to see what makes it tick.  I have a rudimentary comprehension of how they work but need to take the deep dive.

There should be no parts left over when you are re-assembled.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

tesgt350

Quote from: shelbydoug on May 07, 2024, 07:47:27 AM

There should be no parts left over when you are re-assembled.

Come on now, don't lie to the man, there are ALWAYS Parts left over........... ::)

deathsled

Much like an unmatched sock coming out of the dryer.

TA Coupe

I keep looking for those sock thieves but can never catch them.

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.