News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

FE Oil Pump Priming

Started by RSOHC, March 07, 2021, 01:46:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RSOHC

I tried turning the priming tool by hand.  It is very easy to turn clockwise.  It is more difficult but possible to turn counter clock wise.  When removing my hand from  the tool, the tool rotates by itself back in the clockwise direction about 20 degrees.
From this, I would say that the tool is connected to the pump.

My priming tool is a modified FE distributor with the cam gear removed and a socket welded to the top so it can be turned by a drill  or an air ratchet.

pbf777

Quote from: RSOHC on March 09, 2021, 03:42:02 PM
I tried turning the priming tool by hand.  It is very easy to turn clockwise.

Because your turning the pump backwards and not making any pressure!       ::)

QuoteIt is more difficult but possible to turn counter clock wise.  When removing my hand from  the tool, the tool rotates by itself back in the clockwise direction about 20 degrees.

Both would be a consistent result in making pressure which counters with resistance!     ;)

QuoteFrom this, I would say that the tool is connected to the pump.

I'm not there making the observation, but I would tend to agree.    8)

QuoteMy priming tool is a modified FE distributor with the cam gear removed and a socket welded to the top so it can be turned by a drill  or an air ratchet.

Again, I recommend against using a power instrument, use a "speed-handle" to have a little more "feel" for what our doing.

Scott.   

OldMil

Sounds to me like you have some pressure.  Did you check the gauge?  Or the line to the gauge? Disconnect and it should squirt oil if there is any amount of pressure.  If you have a little pressure, you should have an amount similar to when you removed the pan.

RSOHC

The gauge is electric and not reading any pressure.

RSOHC

I have ordered an ARP distributor drive shaft.   Would that be installed from the top with the oil pan on or from the bottom?

pbf777

Bottom!    ;)

Scott.

RSOHC

When I removed the oil pressure sending unit, I found that oil flowed from the housing when the priming tool was turned by hand counter clock wise.  I installed on a temporary basis, a fuel pressure gauge with the range of zero to 15 psi. in the housing.  When  the priming tool was turned counter clock wise with an electric drill, the pressure reading on the gauge exceeded a pressure of 15  psi. From these observations, I have concluded that the oil pump is producing oil pressure.  I have ordered a replacement sending unit for the oil pressure gauge in the console.         

Bob Gaines

Quote from: RSOHC on March 15, 2021, 08:24:46 PM
When I removed the oil pressure sending unit, I found that oil flowed from the housing when the priming tool was turned by hand counter clock wise.  I installed on a temporary basis, a fuel pressure gauge with the range of zero to 15 psi. in the housing.  When  the priming tool was turned counter clock wise with an electric drill, the pressure reading on the gauge exceeded a pressure of 15  psi. From these observations, I have concluded that the oil pump is producing oil pressure.  I have ordered a replacement sending unit for the oil pressure gauge in the console.         
It would be prudent to make sure the oil sender is a SW sender to match the SW gauge in the console otherwise the reading will be somewhat inaccurate. A SW sender was what was used originally.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

RSOHC

I have ordered a Stewart Warner Replacement Sender M-279A with a range of 0 to 80 psi and 1/6 inch-27 NPT.

6s1640

I was helping my neighbor on his recent acquisition,  circa 1957 International Harvester Cub, Lo-Boy.  He got the thing running, only for a couple of minutes and then shut down.  The tractor engine was not producing any oil pressure reading.  Sound familiar?  His farmer father thought the oil pump had lost it prime from him working on it.  If you knew where the oil pump was, you would quickly see the oil pump could not be primed like the ones in our cars.  His father suggested pressuring the oil sump through the oil fill with compress air and removing the oil pressure gauge to allow the oil to flow into the pump.  No distributor drive shaft to turn.  I am happy to say it work beautifully.   He fired up the tracker and the oil pressure gauge shot right up to 35 PSI.  So if you got this far, Thank you for reading.  I learned a new trick and it make sense.

This trick will also allow you to check your system if pressure is getting to the gauge with the gauge re-installed.  You will have to plug the oil fill and and PCV in the valve covers to create a little back pressure.

Take care

Cory

RSOHC

The oil pressure sending unit has been installed and the oil pressure gauge is working perfectly.  Thanks to all for the help.