News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Battery Heat Shield

Started by snakeoil, March 11, 2021, 01:11:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snakeoil

Attempting to ascertain whether a 4spd 68 GT500 non AC car would have had a battery heat shield. I have found no concrete info that they came with one. I have info that most high perf Ford cars had them for larger engine sizes starting in 67.  Can anyone in SAAC land help me out? Thanks

Coralsnake

Big blocks with AC sre the most common, probably not used on the other applications
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

Special Ed

I seen a 68 302  cougar with a/c  all original car back 35 years ago and it had an original battery heat shield still in the car and last year i bought a 69 351 xr7 cougar with a/c from an estate sale original lady owned low mile car and still has all original battery cables and black battery heat shield in place. This cougar is unmolested but all the double wire clamps including the gas filler neck wire clamps were changed out to worm drive clamps of which i thought was odd. I looked thru all the paperwork and their was a letter sent to the out of state dealer she bought it from saying she wanted those  new wire type clamps to be changed out before the car was shipped so she must have thought the new wire clamps werent safe even the gas filler neck clamps that arenot under any pressure were changed out.

jguyer

Don't know about GT500, but my KR convertible with no AC has one.
"Never trust a man that don't eat cornbread, or a woman that don't cook it"

snakeoil

Also my friends 70 428SCJ which he bought new has one also  --non AC car. Was there anything on build sheet to state it came with heat shield? Thanks for your responses

Bob Gaines

Quote from: snakeoil on March 11, 2021, 04:39:06 PM
Also my friends 70 428SCJ which he bought new has one also  --non AC car. Was there anything on build sheet to state it came with heat shield? Thanks for your responses
If you look in the assemblyline manual illustrations for the battery and heat shield it states for BB with A/C. It seems that for the 67/68 year which is what the inquiry started about that the heat shield was meant to be on the BB A/C cars according to the engineering drawings and direction. If some ended up on others in those years it was more likely a anomaly then regular production procedure. Something for a reasonable person to consider is the fact that IF they came on all regardless of if A/C or non A/C there would be a lot more out there to be found. That is not the case.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

Often discussed subject over the decades

We should also consider that in replacing the original battery - at about 5 years at the latest its likely many were not replaced

Thought I recall a mention of Thermactor related note also in one or more Ford documents/manuals.

Different car or year that the section title - sorry
Here are a couple of period pictures both from road tests

68 Torino/Talladega

70 Boss 302

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

snakeoil

Thanks to Mr Gaines and Mr Speegle for your replies. I will not be putting one on. More $ for other parts!

J_Speegle

Quote from: snakeoil on March 11, 2021, 04:39:06 PM

No box on the buildsheets that indicate or identify the installation of a battery shield that I've every seen
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

whiteykr

Many of us know the story about the red KR fsbk  with 8k miles sold at auction in Indiana. It was an original owner car  4 spd  no air car. I bought the battery heat shield  and starter delay from that car that day. I know someone could say how do I know that heat shield goes with that KR? This family only had 1 BB Shelby or mustang. And this red KR had been Ziebart all over including this heat shield.I will need to clean the undercoating off of this if I ever used it.
Is this an anomaly? I do not know. I believe some no air cars came with heat shields.
I cannot remember if I threw away the heat shield on my fathers ,original owner 69 GT500 or if it had one.

Special Ed

Whiteykr  was that heat shield black or grey?  I was at that indy kr auction and was shocked to see what that kr sold for as the claimed mileage never made sence after looking at the car (if u know what to look for and expect from a low mile car). They cleaned out the guys garage and some car parts were mixed in with other items at auction and we both know who was digging around those boxes haha.  Jeffs photo of The 70 boss 302 shows a grey c7za shield and that car has california  fuel evap and  looks like a dearborn car and must be early built because sometime in 70 the heat shield changed to a black doof type.  We bought a NJ 69 428 cj Non a/c mach1 from original owner and it had a black shield so has anybody documented a 69 dearborn 428 cj car having a grey shield?

gt350hr

Jeff's picture of the 68.5 Torino shows a gray heat shield and that's mostly where I have seen them. My April built 68.5 CJ FB has a black shield. "Some" were left off when the battery was changed . Years back I bought three from a guy that worked at a tire store changing batteries. He never put them back on the cars.
   Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

whiteykr

Ed,
I just looked at the battery heat shield and it is grey. Part # C7ZB
I am 100% certain this heat shield came with this KR as I am with the starter delay.
Yes,price was crazy for that car. We can debate the mileage on the car for yrs. as I looked at the car underneath for at least an hour. I remember people saying when I was underneath ,what is he looking at? Always thought that was funny.
Hope this helps
Brad

Bob Gaines

Quote from: whiteykr on March 12, 2021, 02:27:59 AM
Many of us know the story about the red KR fsbk  with 8k miles sold at auction in Indiana. It was an original owner car  4 spd  no air car. I bought the battery heat shield  and starter delay from that car that day. I know someone could say how do I know that heat shield goes with that KR? This family only had 1 BB Shelby or mustang. And this red KR had been Ziebart all over including this heat shield.I will need to clean the undercoating off of this if I ever used it.
Is this an anomaly? I do not know. I believe some no air cars came with heat shields.
I cannot remember if I threw away the heat shield on my fathers ,original owner 69 GT500 or if it had one.
I don't think you will get a argument from many on that. In the context of 67/68 Mustang only that the belief that every big block got them is where you wouldn't want to bet the farm . ;)
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Special Ed

i think the grey vs black shield was also an assembly line thing and was also used on other cars besides mustangs cougars torinos fairlanes etc as i found 2 on 428 t-birds in a yard in AZ back years ago and they had the top rear corner cut off and not  trimmed back with the c70b long part still on the shield like the fairlanes had as these shields were moulded being long and shortened or corner trimed off  depending on the car it was going on.