News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

428 Cobra Jet heat shield pan under intake

Started by Bob Gaines, May 09, 2024, 08:58:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Gaines

Good to know and thank you for the input. I will not need the pan. I have decided to block off the heat riser cross over and hoping to eliminate the tendency for the BB to boil the gas on a hot summer day under a cramped Mustang/Shelby engine compartment. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

vtgt500

Quote from: Bob Gaines on May 11, 2024, 05:01:28 PM
Quote from: vtgt500 on May 11, 2024, 04:26:18 PMIn the late '70s while working at Ford T&C I spent my free time hanging out at a couple of the more successful engine builders in Livonia.  Was told the benefit of using the turkey pan was to keep the intake charge cool as possible.
I think you are mixing up two different pan terms. The Turkey pan is normally used to describe a enclosure around the carb which resembles a thanksgiving turkey pan. It is seen mostly used on competition Cobras to keep the cooler air from the hood scoop near the carb . By contrast the sheet metal heat shield underneath the intake is to keep oil away from the high temperature at the bottom of the intake heat riser crossover. The bottom of the intake becomes so hot (not cool)from the heat riser crossover that the oil can break down and burn leaving a coke deposit residue.

I've seen the carb insulator barrier you describe, not knowing what it was called.  The lifter galley pan used on Clevelands and FEs was also called a turkey pan within Ford engine manufacturing plants.  Combined with blocking off the crossover is effective in reducing intake manifold temperature.  Objective being, an attempt at
 suppressing detonation.  Today, air gap intake manifolds seem to fill that role. 

Bob Gaines

Quote from: vtgt500 on May 13, 2024, 03:31:10 PM
Quote from: Bob Gaines on May 11, 2024, 05:01:28 PM
Quote from: vtgt500 on May 11, 2024, 04:26:18 PMIn the late '70s while working at Ford T&C I spent my free time hanging out at a couple of the more successful engine builders in Livonia.  Was told the benefit of using the turkey pan was to keep the intake charge cool as possible.
I think you are mixing up two different pan terms. The Turkey pan is normally used to describe a enclosure around the carb which resembles a thanksgiving turkey pan. It is seen mostly used on competition Cobras to keep the cooler air from the hood scoop near the carb . By contrast the sheet metal heat shield underneath the intake is to keep oil away from the high temperature at the bottom of the intake heat riser crossover. The bottom of the intake becomes so hot (not cool)from the heat riser crossover that the oil can break down and burn leaving a coke deposit residue.

I've seen the carb insulator barrier you describe, not knowing what it was called.  The lifter galley pan used on Clevelands and FEs was also called a turkey pan within Ford engine manufacturing plants.  Combined with blocking off the crossover is effective in reducing intake manifold temperature.  Objective being, an attempt at
 suppressing detonation.  Today, air gap intake manifolds seem to fill that role. 
Here is the picture of the enclosure that looks the part of a turkey pan that the carb sits in on top of the intake.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby