News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Are 66 Shelbys stock three core or two core radiators?

Started by deathsled, December 10, 2023, 12:55:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

That was a question asked by a fellow enthusiast that lives in my area.  I have an aftermarket radiator in mine so I didn't have an answer.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

FL SAAC

Well good afternoon fellow real shelby owner. How's the weather treating you today ?

We cant complain just hot back from a a little spirited outing with out topless 07 GTH. What a beauty !

Getting back to the question you posed :

Our real 66 GTH has its factory correct  two core radiator.

So it's two core.

We bid you ''adieu"
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

deathsled

Two core.  Thanks Tony.  Mine is an aftermarket replica three core apparently determined by opening the cap and counting how many vents or holes you see in one row.  I still have the desert radiator that was optioned for non Shelbys in 66 that were destined to the hotter states and ordered as an option by the customer if I am not mistaken.  Not sure how many cores it has.  I will need to go downstairs and count them.

J_Speegle

Quote from: deathsled on December 10, 2023, 04:15:22 PM
Two core.  Thanks Tony.  Mine is an aftermarket replica three core apparently determined by opening the cap and counting how many vents or holes you see in one row.  I still have the desert radiator that was optioned for non Shelbys in 66 that were destined to the hotter states and ordered as an option by the customer if I am not mistaken.  Not sure how many cores it has.  I will need to go downstairs and count them.

from pictures the Mustang desert cooler looks to be three fat/wide ones
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

deathsled

Quote from: J_Speegle on December 10, 2023, 04:31:46 PM
Quote from: deathsled on December 10, 2023, 04:15:22 PM

from pictures the Mustang desert cooler looks to be three fat/wide ones
Okay, cool.  Pun intended.

Bob Gaines

Correct SJ side straps, correct dated WMO top tank, top tank tag, and correct bottom tank are typically much more noticeable when evaluating how authentic a 66 Shelby radiator looks. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

FL SAAC

I have all UNGOLD cars

S7MS427

Take a look at my radiator restoration / modification webpage. Clearly visible in photos R184956 and R184852 is the original radiator core. Proof positive that this is a two row core all the way.

http://www.s-techent.com/Shelby_Web_Pages//66_GT350H//GT350H.htm and navigate to "Radiator Restoration".
Roy Simkins
http://www.s-techent.com/Shelby.htm
1966 G.T.350H SFM6S817
1967 G.T.500 67400F7A03040

deathsled

Quote from: S7MS427 on December 11, 2023, 09:57:02 PM
Take a look at my radiator restoration / modification webpage. Clearly visible in photos R184956 and R184852 is the original radiator core. Proof positive that this is a two row core all the way.

http://www.s-techent.com/Shelby_Web_Pages//66_GT350H//GT350H.htm and navigate to "Radiator Restoration".
Thanks for the website link!  I have been pouring over it.  Very detailed and an enjoyable read navigating through the details of your car. 

S7MS427

deathsled, glad you like my website. I've got 46 and 45 years of stories respectively between the two cars. That should keep me busy for quite some time, provided I can remember them all. Current project is restoring the original engine for 6S817. The block has been sitting in my garage for for decades and I noticed it wasn't assembling itself (what's up with that?) so I figured I'd better get to it. So can I claim that I'm rebuilding the original engine when all that is original to the car is the block, the connecting rods, and the rocker covers?
Roy Simkins
http://www.s-techent.com/Shelby.htm
1966 G.T.350H SFM6S817
1967 G.T.500 67400F7A03040

FL SAAC

Quote from: deathsled on December 12, 2023, 12:02:27 AM
Quote from: S7MS427 on December 11, 2023, 09:57:02 PM

Thanks for the website link!  I have been pouring over it.  Very detailed and an enjoyable read navigating through the details of your car.

Agreed this is a exemplary site. Mr Simkins posted awhile ago and I visited his site. Totally amazed and keep up the good work

I have all UNGOLD cars

papa scoops

1122 original radiator 2 core, currently stored in box, with coolant. and cap, plugged.have am in it now, for driving

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

1431 original radiator is restored and stored away
It's a two core radiator
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎