News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Just business or shady dealing?

Started by cutter, April 29, 2018, 05:44:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cutter

yeah , had a deal on a different KR and the seller wanted cash, driven across several states    i said no.....

KR Convertible

Quote from: capecodmustang.com on May 01, 2018, 04:10:24 PM
I had a guy by a 67 GT 500 off me about 5 years ago...
He asked me ahead of time if he could pay cash...

I told him he could.

He brought a bank check and $50,000 in cash.

The cash was one's, fives and tens...
He owned a vending machine company...

WTF.....

$50,000 in twenties was bad enough!  Can't imagine ones, fives and tens.

Tried three banks, only one could do it in less than a week and a half.  Twenties was the best the bank could do on short notice, but they got it the next day.  They now have more of my business and the other two are done.  Pretty annoying when you can't get your own money within a couple of days!

In 1998 I bought a 3800 mile 1994 BMW 850Csi from a guy in Queens N.Y.

He insisted on cash. $66,000. I don't know what the hell I was thinking, but I flew all the way there with a briefcase filled with drisp $100 bills.

Right now, I have no clue why I thought this was a good idea. He picked me up at La Guardia, Drove to his house in Jamaica where he had a huge argument with his adult son and wife (not about the car) in front of me, Then we drove to White Plains as the car was at the BMW dealership there having a PPI. It was as advertised so I gave him the cash, which he counted 3 times in the lobby while, with title in hand,  I arranged with the BMW dealer to have the truck pick it up.

He could have shot me and dropped me in Longa Island sound.

Not to mention going thru the airport in Seattle, Chicago and New York with all that cash. The authorities could have easily seized that as potential drug money and made it my responsibility to prove it wasn't. (yes that happens all the time).

I will NEVER do that again. I now realize how mortal I really am.

Oh yeah, I sold the car a year later so I could dive into the stock market. Remember the dot.com days?   ::) That same car sells for around $75,00 today.

Alan

When buying or selling, I make arrangements with my bank to have the money wired.
Usually the seller end will have a bank/credit union ready for me to wire.
If I'm selling. I tell the buyer where I want it wired. Keep in mind, I
am always present. He doesn't leave with car and title 'til my bank's prez
says funds are safely transferred.
Max
'67    0029

cutter

wire is the only way, for transactions of those amounts, this guy isn't getting knocked off over a car deal...people will kill you for a lot less.

stangman39

Quote from: cutter on May 01, 2018, 10:57:41 PM
wire is the only way, for transactions of those amounts, this guy isn't getting knocked off over a car deal...people will kill you for a lot less.

I agree.
I work in banking. 
Over the years it amazes me how many people don't want to do a wire!  They say they don't want to give out their banking info!
At times people even say they will go to their bank and make sure it's ok to send a wire!  I've heard a bunch of times from sellers
"my bank said don't give out my bank info..."  Again, I work in banking and I've never said this to a single client...I've been in the industry close to 15 years!
Often I'll tell a seller who acts this way "do you have a checkbook...do you write people or strangers checks?"  Most of the time they say yes and yes.  I tell them the info
I need to send a wire is the same info on the bottom of their check!  At times I've had people say "you make a good point..."  and some still don't want to accept a wire!

Vernon Estes

Quote from: Shelby_0022 on May 01, 2018, 05:59:07 PM
  I felt like I was wearing see through clothes the entire way there.  ;D

Boy, there's a visual none of us needed  ;D
Junk dealer and the oldest young guy you will ever know.

QuickSilverShelby

About 10 years ago I found a low mileage 93 Mustang GT convertible in Tacoma Washington.   I reached a deal with the lady seller over the phone for $12,600.  On December 27th I drive to Tacoma to complete the deal pending an inspection of the car.

Me, being from a foreign country (Canada), I figure there's no way that the lady seller is gonna take a bank draft and I wasn't going to wire funds until I view the car so I take $12,600 in $100's. 

At the Canada/US border I know that I am supposed declare anything over $10,000 which I do.  The US border guard asks me to come inside which isn't surprising, so I head inside.  He asks me what the money is for and I show him the ad for the car that I'm gonna buy.  He counts the money and has a real good look at the cash and then sends me on my way, wishing me good luck.

When I get to the house in Tacoma it is located in a real nice neighborhood.  I ring the doorbell and am greeted by a man in his mid 40's.  He informs me his is the son of the lady seller and he invites me inside.  We head to the kitchen and the lady seller is there so we all sit down and talk.  After about half an hour we're all pretty comfortable with each other and are having a great conversation.

After talking for 1/2 an hour the topic of guns comes up at which point, the son of the lady seller, rotates his body to show me the fire arm he has strapped to the side of his belt.  He then points to another hand gun that is laying on the kitchen counter.  The son tells me how he has an "open carry licence" in the state of Washington and I tell him how I once shot a 22 rifle in Scouts when I was 10 ;D.  At that point I'm thinking "sure glad I didn't see that side arm when I walked into the house, I would have run away screaming like a raped ape".

I view the car and am happy with what I see so we complete the deal and I hand the sellers the $12,600 in cash.  They are surprised that I brought cash.  I told them I figured they wouldn't take a bank draft from a foreigner which made them laugh. 

In they end they are laughing at me because I brought $12,600 in cash and I'm laughing cause I just walked into a house with a couple of guns and upon entering that house I didn't even to think to "scope out the scene" for weapons or imminent danger  ;)

I still have that 93 Mustang and a crazy ass story about my American brothers.  I'd still carry cash but next time, I'll be a little more cognoscente of my surroundings and any possible fun that might occur :D

QSS

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Shelby_r_b

Quote from: QuickSilverShelby on May 02, 2018, 10:19:52 AM
About 10 years ago I found a low mileage 93 Mustang GT convertible in Tacoma Washington.   I reached a deal with the lady seller over the phone for $12,600.  On December 27th I drive to Tacoma to complete the deal pending an inspection of the car.

Me, being from a foreign country (Canada), I figure there's no way that the lady seller is gonna take a bank draft and I wasn't going to wire funds until I view the car so I take $12,600 in $100's. 

At the Canada/US border I know that I am supposed declare anything over $10,000 which I do.  The US border guard asks me to come inside which isn't surprising, so I head inside.  He asks me what the money is for and I show him the ad for the car that I'm gonna buy.  He counts the money and has a real good look at the cash and then sends me on my way, wishing me good luck.

When I get to the house in Tacoma it is located in a real nice neighborhood.  I ring the doorbell and am greeted by a man in his mid 40's.  He informs me his is the son of the lady seller and he invites me inside.  We head to the kitchen and the lady seller is there so we all sit down and talk.  After about half an hour we're all pretty comfortable with each other and are having a great conversation.

After talking for 1/2 an hour the topic of guns comes up at which point, the son of the lady seller, rotates his body to show me the fire arm he has strapped to the side of his belt.  He then points to another hand gun that is laying on the kitchen counter.  The son tells me how he has an "open carry licence" in the state of Washington and I tell him how I once shot a 22 rifle in Scouts when I was 10 ;D.  At that point I'm thinking "sure glad I didn't see that side arm when I walked into the house, I would have run away screaming like a raped ape".

I view the car and am happy with what I see so we complete the deal and I had the sellers the $12,600 in cash.  They are surprised that I brought cash.  I told them I figured they wouldn't take a bank draft from a foreigner which made them laugh. 

In they end they are laughing at me because I brought $12,600 in cash and I'm laughing cause I just walked into a house with a couple of guns and upon entering that house I didn't even to think to "scope out the scene" for weapons or imminent danger  ;)

I still have that 93 Mustang and a crazy ass story about my American brothers.  I'd still carry cash but next time, I'll be a little more cognoscente of my surroundings and any possible fun that might occur :D

QSS

That is amazing!  What a great story - thanks for sharing!!
Nothing beats a classic!

Shelby_r_b

Quote from: Vernon Estes on May 02, 2018, 08:59:37 AM
Quote from: Shelby_0022 on May 01, 2018, 05:59:07 PM
  I felt like I was wearing see through clothes the entire way there.  ;D

Boy, there's a visual none of us needed  ;D

LOL!

Yeah, my wife has to deal with that visual every day.  And, let me tell you, for those who have met me, I definitely married up!  ;D
Nothing beats a classic!

shelbymann1970

Speaking of cash stories the one that had me shaking my head was when a really good friend sold his 71 all original HEMI N96 Challenger around 2004. He sold it thru Galen to a guy in the middle of Mn and cornfields. The guy had a lot of ex super stock HEMI cars. Ed Meyer knows the guy. Car sold for 195K. Guy wired 10K and my friend offered to deliver. Guy called the bank and had the banker open up the bank to pay my friend. He drove home back to Mi with a briefcase with 185K in it. Ed later told me the car ended back in Mi not long after. My 68 Shelby went to France. Guy wired me the $$$$. Seems the best way to deal with a lot of money-unless you don't want to pay Uncle Sam capital gains tax.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

shelbymann1970

Another was when another friend bought a 67 GT500 a few years ago. Sellers wanted 100K. He walked into the house. sat at a table. Pulled out his firearm and set it in front of him them offered 80K for the car pulling out the cash. Cash deal he told them. No bank transactions. No capital gains.....they took the cash.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

stephen_becker

shelbymann1970

Nicely Done!!!

i have an on-going deal with a seller and his wife who want only 20 dollar bills for the car that they have owed since 1971 - 125,000 - I said no way - not happening on my dime and they said one day someone will show up with cash and they will sell that person the car - I hope when/if the person does they have an UZI because these folks live in the middle of no where and a body would be easy to never be found....... "I hear banjos"!!

SGB

cutter

Comon steven,  you got that in petty cash....you ever hear anymore about the estate with the KR.??

Tim

cutter

Hey....speaking of that, what are the capitol gains tax laws on a purchase such as a 6 figure shelby??