News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

original engine v/s non original?

Started by shelbyhertz66, January 15, 2019, 07:21:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbyhertz66

Hi All,
I know this has been asked before but I would like to ask for opinions in a slightly different way.
So you have 2 identical 67 GT-350's .  Car "A" has born with matching engine .  Car "B' has a correct
engine but not original to the car.  If there is a price difference for car "B" typically how much less should it be?
Also would this be a large negative on buying car "B" as far as desirability is concerned ?
Any opinions much appreciated!
Dave

427heaven

The number seems to float around 10-15 percent but many are not hung up on it one way or the other.

Shelby73

In my opinion if both cars were identical color, condition, body's were totally the same condition etc. the one with the original engine is worth more of course. If the car with the replacement engine is correct for the car and is dated the same year but has a better body and maybe a better color, plus may have better documentation it could be worth more. Cars have a lot of veribles. It is not unusual to see an early Shelby without the original engine, along with all the other performance cars.
67 Cobra CSX3251  65 K-code Conv
65 5S073.               65 A-code fastback
66 6S304.                67 390 GTA Conv.
66 Hertz 6S1863.      67 Playboy Coupe
68 KR Conv. 2529.     70 Mach1
07 Shelby Hertz Conv. 69 Z/28
66 MK1A Tiger.            66 Vette coupe
13 GT500                   
69 Boss 429

J_Speegle

Quote from: shelbyhertz66 on January 15, 2019, 07:21:13 PM
...........Also would this be a large negative on buying car "B" as far as desirability is concerned ?

As stated in other threads it all depends on the potential buyer. In some cases "B" would not even be considered for purchase due to the situation. Have seen more recently buyers focusing on all original sheet metal (at least uni-body) over original engine but again this is a case by case issue completely driven by the buyer.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

SpartanSmoke

As the owner of a car with a "not correct" engine this is something that I have looked into recently.  My car has had a 302 for at least 35 years and I have always wondered how it affected the value.  From what I've been told by people with knowledge in the market was to expect a decrease of about $ 20,000.00.  That number seems reasonable to me.  I am currently in the process of having a correct 289 Hipo installed and only part of the decision was added value.  I think the car deserves to have the engine it was produced with even it isn't the exact one.  I will never know the exact effect on the value but I do know I can't wait to get behind the wheel!

Hope this helps,
Mike

Harris Speedster

Veered off track from the actual question;

Yes, having the original engine, backed by a stamped serial number, does and always will have an impact on a Collectors choice for Investment.

Been at this for decades, as well as others you are debating.
Sheet metal, carbs, date coded panels, original tires, as in the 2 million dollar Super Snake, add tremendous value

BTW, not to be ignorant, but guys with GM stuff, with re-stamp kits available on line, stamp serial numbers back in blocks , why would they do that?

I think 427 heaven is close at 10-15 % lesser value, BUT, many investors will not invest in any type of car unless it has the " born with serial numbered engine," if stamped from original.

My own thoughts, if I could not find a numbers matching car, of same type, make model and condition, 25%
99% of the time >>YOU get what you pay for !!!!!!!!!!!!
Respectfully submitted,
John
Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

427heaven

You might want to pay 25 percent less but no one is willing to sell their ride for 25 percent less... Just saying ;) respectfully thrown out there.

shelbydoug

Quote from: 427heaven on January 16, 2019, 11:12:13 AM
You might want to pay 25 percent less but no one is willing to sell their ride for 25 percent less... Just saying ;) respectfully thrown out there.

It's difficult to put any kind of a number on this except to say that to some, complete originality is more desirable. I don't know if that means the buyer would then be energized to spend more for it? It depends on the nature of the top buyer at that point in time. They may be motivated today but not tomorrow.
The cars are still inexpensive enough to be driven and not strictly museum pieces in glass display cases. Even the Cobra Coupes are still being driven in historic events occasionally. There aren't too many more irreplaceable items then they are.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

8T03S1425

When it comes to trying to determine correct market pricing for Shelbys, whether or not the cars have original drive train, interior/exterior components, or VIN tag, consider this one word; the be-all and end-all of Shelby pricing examples...

ELEANOR (2nd generation)

How can they be worth 6 digits, to the left of the decimal point?  ::)
I have owned 8T03S-01425 since 06/76.
I owned 6S2295 in 1973 & '74.

Richstang

Quote from: SpartanSmoke on January 16, 2019, 10:18:19 AM
As the owner of a car with a "not correct" engine this is something that I have looked into recently.  My car has had a 302 for at least 35 years and I have always wondered how it affected the value.  From what I've been told by people with knowledge in the market was to expect a decrease of about $ 20,000.00.  That number seems reasonable to me.  I am currently in the process of having a correct 289 Hipo installed and only part of the decision was added value.  I think the car deserves to have the engine it was produced with even it isn't the exact one.  I will never know the exact effect on the value but I do know I can't wait to get behind the wheel!

Hope this helps,
Mike

Mike,
Putting it the correct K code motor is a very wise choice IMHO. Financially it should bridge the gap of any value decrease substantially.
I agree with many others here, original rust free body panels are far more important on the list of desired choices.
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

IMO, these are the issues, in order of importance to me that determine how I would value a car.

1) no signs of wreck or major metal replacement due to rust
2) Original fiberglass/rollbar etc
3) Color combination
4) drivetrain combination
5) solid history with registrar

As John noted above about the GM guys restamping parts, who is to say that hasn't happened with Fords too?

These cars were driven hard and known to blow engines. How did so many #s matching cars come thru all that mayhem back in the day?

greekz

I know on the old Forum there were conversations pertaining to not all 1967 GT-350's had the vin stamped block.  If my memory serves, it was some of the later cars.  Therefore, casting dates are critical to determine if original to car?

Just a question.

Greek
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

capecodmustang.com

Greek:....You are correct ...

Not all 67 GT 350's had a VIN stamped on the block.
Throughout the run there were blocks of 289HP's that didn't have VINs....And then others would..

Bret

greekz

Bret,

Thanks, for the confirmation.

Greek
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

Bigfoot

If the 2 Shelby vehicles are absolute "apples to apples" I think 20% is what one should budget.
The more valuable the vehicle the more it can matter.
Unless it's a race car or similar.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI