News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Going to install one of these on my car

Started by deathsled, December 11, 2023, 11:56:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

98SVT - was 06GT

The + & - posts are different sizes on the battery. Install the cut out on the one it fits best. I prefer to install between the ground cable an grounding location.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

deathsled

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on December 11, 2023, 11:06:57 PM
The + & - posts are different sizes on the battery. Install the cut out on the one it fits best. I prefer to install between the ground cable an grounding location.
The negative fit best and appears to be the suggested terminal on the switch.  Everything works as intended.  How effective it might be remains to be seen.  I think it will deter a fast theft where you park the car for a short duration of time that is long enough to allow a theft to occur but thwarts a thief because you are not long enough away from your car for the thief to diagnose the problem and find a remedy.  Plus the manual transmission does not help auto thieves these days.  Anything that buys you some time is in the positive ledger.  Plus the battery discharges more slowly and the risk of a short leading to a fire is reduced while parked.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

deathsled

Quote from: 427heaven on December 11, 2023, 09:40:20 PM
SLED ..... Thats why you are a Lawyer.  It was fun to watch, but you over came all obstacles on your quest to install that damned new cut out switch. Congratulations! ;)
Well it works and performs as intended anyway.  I would like to learn how to build an engine some day.  That some day better arrive soon.  I am much older now and running out of time.

FL SAAC

Quote from: deathsled on December 12, 2023, 12:03:41 AM
Quote from: 427heaven on December 11, 2023, 09:40:20 PM
SLED ..... Thats why you are a Lawyer.  It was fun to watch, but you over came all obstacles on your quest to install that damned new cut out switch. Congratulations! ;)
Well it works and performs as intended anyway.  I would like to learn how to build an engine some day.  That some day better arrive soon.  I am much older now and running out of time.

May we suggest that you peruse through these fine periodicals
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

shelbymann1970

Quote from: greekz on December 11, 2023, 03:27:43 PM
I have been disconnecting the negative cable in using a rubber cap over the post for over 30 years.  No fires, no drained battery, no ugly add on.
+1 Real easy no problems. I've never used a rubber cap though. I just clean the terminal if it needs it. I got some caps though so will be adding them.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

shelbymann1970

So what little I know about electronics I'd say when you disconnect the negative cable you have now disabled the electrons flowing out of the system therefore any short that may occur doesn't because without the loop of the negative system on the battery there is no chance of drawing anything from the battery at this point to cause a fire. Real easy to check. ground out a courtesy light switch with the neg off and then the negative on-no blowing of the fuse so the whole system is dead. Never disconnect a pos cable first. Always the negative. Reverse order when installing.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

greekz

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on December 12, 2023, 08:54:02 AM
I have been disconnecting the negative cable in using a rubber cap over the post for over 30 years.  No fires, no drained battery, no ugly add on.
+1 Real easy no problems. I've never used a rubber cap though. I just clean the terminal if it needs it. I got some caps though so will be adding them.

I use a rubber cap just in case while using wrenches they do not accidentally bridge between the positive and negative terminals.  I have noticed as I advance in age, my dexterity is not what it used to be.
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

TA Coupe

Google remote battery disconnect switch. you will find several different kinds and they come with a key fob type thing to carry and just push a button and it will disconnect. Come back to your car and hit the button and you're ready to go.

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

6s1640

+2

Bob Gaines

FYI In the process of connecting and disconnecting the battery cables the negative cable is much less likely to crack from fatigue compared to the positive cable. That is one reason to use a battery disconnect contraptions to lesson the risk. This is very important to consider when using rare original assemblyline positive battery cables. Not so much when using easily replaceable repro cables. The genuine original Ford made negative battery cables are really as rare as hens teeth. There have been many in recent years that have been duped into buying first generation Marti negative battery cables (before he started using metric wire) as genuine and big money given their patina after 30+ years.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

FYI although authentic assemblyine looking battery cable terminals look to be made out of the same material ,the positive battery cable terminal is softer solid lead where as the inside of the negative battery cable is made of less likely to fracture brass before being tin/lead dipped.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

GT350AUS

I had one on mine years ago, I didn't see the benefit
Just put your battery on a good trickle feed.

Haven't had problem in 15 years on my classics and modern collection

pbf777

Just for thought:

Actually as defined the current flow is the directional movement of the free electrons thru a  conductor, but realize that since electrons are negatively charged they actually flow in the direction towards the positive terminal of the battery!   ;)

Ever wonder why many older vehicles were "Positive-Ground"?   ???

Scott.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: GT350AUS on May 10, 2024, 05:31:30 AMI had one on mine years ago, I didn't see the benefit

They were originally advertised as a theft deterrent. You unscrewed the knob and stick it in your pocket and walk away. Not advocating for how effective just relaying what it was originally advertised for.   

deathsled

Quote from: Bob Gaines on May 10, 2024, 11:04:21 AM
Quote from: GT350AUS on May 10, 2024, 05:31:30 AMI had one on mine years ago, I didn't see the benefit

They were originally advertised as a theft deterrent. You unscrewed the knob and stick it in your pocket and walk away. Not advocating for how effective just relaying what it was originally advertised for.   
It makes a quick theft much more difficult unless the thief has one in their goodies bag which is unlikely. It will take them time to figure out the problem which may be enough time to catch them before they succeed.  The device won't prevent a theft but it sure will slow down a thief's methodology.