News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Early GT350 grill badge

Started by 65GT350dragster, April 09, 2024, 09:07:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

65GT350dragster

Hey yall.  Anyone ever seen the round Shelby emblem used on the grill in this attached pic from 1965?
We still have it on the car today, never seen it on another car.  Curious the story here.

J_Speegle

Looks like the ones included in the Shelby Kits. IMHO likely the source. Often installed on/in the fender  (double posts if I recall correctly)

Its possible that that is the source and the owner only had one rather than two so he choose the grill instead of the fenders  IMHO Day #2 modification
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

65GT350dragster

Shelby kits sold in 1965 to install on stock Mustangs?
This car was delivered to Harr Ford from Shelby American in street configuration and dealer modified for drag racing at the dealership by my father, Gus Zuidema and I'm sure a number of other Harr technicians.
My father entered the car in concours event at a SAAC meet in S Mass sometime around 2010.  The judging hit him up for a loose badge, but not the style.  Sadly, he has since passed.  Can I assume this round badge is period correct and appropriate?  Hell, it's in pics from 1965! I'm looking to tighten the car up some.  It has the wrong alt belt, voltage regulator, and color battery cable.  Easy peasy stuff for me.

deathsled

The dragstrip livery looks great to me.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

68blk500c

See the bottom of this page for sources of thatYou cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment. Cobra badge.  Your father and his co-workers had ample access to such kits through the dealership service/parts departments.  It has been added to the car at some point.  It is not factory.

Very cool car and photos.  You are one lucky guy.

J_Speegle

Concours judging is very different compared to 2010 or even earlier

Quote from: 65GT350dragster on April 14, 2024, 02:56:22 PMShelby kits sold in 1965 to install on stock Mustangs?

Yes and other Fords

Here is a picture of a dress up kit and two of the round emblems included

Quote from: 65GT350dragster on April 14, 2024, 02:56:22 PMMy father entered the car in concours event at a SAAC meet in S Mass sometime around 2010.  The judging hit him up for a loose badge, but not the style.  Sadly, he has since passed.  Can I assume this round badge is period correct and appropriate?  ....................

If entered now I would think that the Concours team in div II would discuss the badge and make a comment. A very small deduction for it would not surprise me or they might just talk to the owner about it and suggest that next time its removed before showing.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

65GT350dragster

Y'all are a wealth of information!  Thank you for taking the time to educate me.  I spent an hour online looking for what these "kits" might look like...love that you had literature to share! 
JP

Dan Case

Depending on when the accessory kit pieces were gathered and packaged for sale, three different "COBRA" emblems were used in sequence. I have personally seen these three versions used in kits Ford sold.

"S1CS-19523-B Emblem, AC_Cobra 2 9/16", in this case the second of two versions used in new Cobras and the first for two versions sold as service replacements and accessories until Shelby's California works stopped selling parts.

The "S1CS-19523-C Emblem, AC_Cobra" part was used in new Cobras CSX2133-CSX2589 and sold as an accessory while supplies lasted. Shelby American arranged for this part to be made.

The "Ford C3RA-14225-A 2" part was used in 427 Cobras and sold in large quantities as separate parts and in accessory kits. Ford Motor Company had these parts produced. The C3RA-14225-A part became the service replacement for the S1CS-C part circa 1966 and later the replacement for the S1C-B part also for all Cobras and 427 Cobras.
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

mr68shelby

The following letter was in some Ford Dealer paperwork I recently acquired. It is dated Jan 10, 1964. Evidently the emblems were not available during some time period. Mike