News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

prototype, engineering and pre production vehicles

Started by ssmustang, May 24, 2024, 02:05:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssmustang

Hello:

I am new to this forum but have been a member over at the Cobra Jet and Boss Forums for some time. I own a 69/70 engineering Mustang, won't use the P word as I have seen many heated discussions over that terminology, and I am not here to create controversy or represent my car as something it is not. I know I am quite late to the party but only recently found the Serendipity article on Lowells Shelby done back in 2009. I can't believe in my years of research I failed to include 'Shelby' in a search. My bad!

The article very much got my attention. Two specific items were the X designation which I have not seen before, and the second was the revelation that a 'Program Description Book' still exists.

My purpose here is to possibly expand the information base of these special vehicles. I was not there, some that were have helped me in my efforts and as we all know and have seen we continue to lose those that were directly involved in these programs.

A few things I am looking for or trying to sort out:

X vehicles - how many vehicles are known to exist with this designation?

Photos or video from 68/69 at any of the Ford test tracks (Dearborn, Romeo or APG). I have heard of a promotional video 'Torino' which reports to have footage from the Romeo proving Grounds, have not been successful locating it so far.

I know this one does not seem to interest many, but I have been trying to better understand the 'Asset tracking system' aka Brass tags.

I very much understand and totally agree that individuals who possess this information want to remain anonymous and not have certain documents, tags, etc. exposed. We live at a time when money incentivizes the creation of fakes and Photoshop becomes a great tool if you can start with something real. Thankfully, this site and others expose these vehicles quite quickly.

Thanks,

Coralsnake

I have not seen any references to Shelbys being called "x-vehicles".
That may be exclusively a Ford designation.

Brass tag cars were different to the best of my knowledge. They were cars assigned to Ford executives for the most part. I am aware of some brass tag Shelbys.

68-70 Shelbys there are very few preproduction cars. Most cars were built as Mustangs and then assigned to Shelby engineering for a specific purpose. (Lowells car is not like that)  During these years that number is probably around 60-70 cars

This video is from the test track in Dearborn. These were very early Shelbys. The red fastback, 9S02S100026, is a pre-Shelby production car. The convertible is Shelby car number 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fzTpCEP82M
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

ssmustang

Sorry Coralsnake, should have clarified that question. I know the X designation was a Ford thing but giving that Lowells vehicle had been tracked back to December 8, 1964 I would assume there may be more besides just Mustangs. Cougars, Torino, etc? Thanks as always.