News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Should we remove members post counts from the forum?

Started by Bill, September 13, 2023, 06:22:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pbf777

Quote from: Coralsnake on September 13, 2023, 06:01:24 PM
I must say, more people have posted here than any previous post of mention.

And unfortunately, from the temperamental tone of many of the respondents, this also is one of those postings, that for the good health of the forum, apparently should not have been presented in such fashion!  Rather if the true issue is as being so often alluded to here, it should have been addressed directly with those whom are involved and the assigned moderators;  that rather than inciting a riot among the masses, or if just simply airing ones' dirty laundry in public.   :o

Scott.

Bigfoot

RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

gt350shelb

Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

67 GT350

RARE  Signature Delete

Kent

I would add saac member since, shelby owner since and what I really like is when you can give people likes or something that show the users which people help with their posts.
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

Smallblock

Long time reader. I really appreciate Coralsnake (Pete) and Bob Gaines who have helped me over the years with questions about my 68. I usually go outside of the saac forum these days and go direct for help without being a pest. I think the administrators job is very tough. Wondering if there is that much junk coming from a member that there account could be suspended (temp or permanent)based on criteria that is established. Its funny how you can pinpoint a few bad eggs just by their posts. Good Luck!

Harris Speedster

PBF 777,
The heart of the topic ?

I believe the intended value in the posting counts feature is that this perhaps provides some guidance to the readers as to the possible validity of the comments being made, as otherwise with proper regulation the disfavored poster would shall we say..........have been tarred & feathered, and run out of town!   ::)
Scott.

Great statement in this old dogs opinion.
Perhaps screen the un-scrupulous type differently, many that have posted seem to have the same feeling ?
Deathsled, as always a great thought out post, thank you for including me in your list, I am humbled by the knowledge of many on & off your list !

John from Utah, as big Jim Cowles aka'd as in the late 80's.
Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

shelbydoug

Quote from: Harris Speedster on September 14, 2023, 09:37:44 AM
PBF 777,
The heart of the topic ?

I believe the intended value in the posting counts feature is that this perhaps provides some guidance to the readers as to the possible validity of the comments being made, as otherwise with proper regulation the disfavored poster would shall we say..........have been tarred & feathered, and run out of town!   ::)
Scott.

Perhaps screen the un-scrupulous type differently, many that have posted seem to have the same feeling ?
Deathsled, as always a great thought out post, thank you for including me in your list, I am humbled by the knowledge of many on your list !

Speaking as an old dog who didn't make the list, I wonder if I am even relevant any more? I suspect not. I am not fitting anyone else's agenda and there are agendas here apparently.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Harris Speedster

Doug,
QUOTE; Speaking as an old dog who didn't make the list, I wonder if I am even relevant any more? I suspect not. I am not fitting anyone else's agenda and there are agendas here apparently.
You have high value here !
I went back and added a bit to my post.
You are a wealth of information, and I for one enjoy your posts, as they are always on point.
BTW, sorry for the delay in getting back with you >>> RE; your work/knowledge in concourse awarding winning stamps etc, but not limited to as such.
Your buddy,
John
Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

Cobrask8

Reading through, good topic.

Maybe move the post count to the profile of each forum member? While not quickly accessible, it still can be seen if anybody wants to look. Been a SAAC member since 1990, but not alot of post on this forum.

I do agree to limiting to SAAC members. Makes the moderators have to cross-check each new application.

Create a section for non-members? I would think that if they were limited to a small section, most spammers and nuisances would go away knowing they will be limited.

Just some thoughts.

Dan

deathsled

Quote from: shelbydoug on September 14, 2023, 09:43:48 AM
Quote from: Harris Speedster on September 14, 2023, 09:37:44 AM
PBF 777,
The heart of the topic ?

Scott.

Deathsled, as always a great thought out post, thank you for including me in your list, I am humbled by the knowledge of many on your list !

Speaking as an old dog who didn't make the list, I wonder if I am even relevant any more? I suspect not. I am not fitting anyone else's agenda and there are agendas here apparently.
I added you to the list, shelbydoug.  I always enjoy your philosophical and level headed approach to all topics plus your automotive knowledge for sure.  Sorry I missed you. I was a tad heated when I wrote that treatise which in the end means nothing because I am but one pathetic squeaky voice in this big world and I have thus far done nothing great or notable that would make me memorable in life or after death.  Being a lawyer does not impress me in the least.  It's a living sometimes full of vitriol is all I can say.  Being a noted author with something to say or a composer is a far greater aspiration.  I won't be remembered but for five minutes after I die, likely by the graveyard attendants before they shovel that last bit of earth and go to lunch.  That said, my SAAC list is inconsequential in the greater sense of things from someone who is also inconsequential, but all of you mean a lot to me and I apologize for missing one or more of you.  Now, I will endeavor to get off of this site and refrain from "irrelevant" posts as the benefit of my absence.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

s2ms

Personally I don't care either way, but....

Why not keep the post counts but have them hidden and only visible if searching for member info under the "Members" section like all other member stats? That way if someone's post count is important you can easily look it up, otherwise not shown.
Dave - 6S1757

427heaven

Can a few BAD apples spoil the entire bunch... They sure can, and have, and will continue to run people off! This has been going on for years, we all know of the 5-6 BAD ONES- They know who they are, and listening to what some spew here... runs off many a good person. Not to mention any names here, but not TOO long ago one of our own top notch restoration guys was Brow beat, Belittled, Chastised and was basically informed he was not very knowledgeable in his craft. What we have since learned that he is VERY qualified, much more then those that gave him the proverbial Bitch slap... and many top notch people are waiting for him to restore their cars... Thanks for sticking around! It is pretty easy to navigate around the good ones and the bad ones, just listen to their responses. High number counts, smiley faces or thumbs up wont cover up or hide the Bad Ones. We have many little cliques in here and need to cater to all. We have the old rich guys that own fantastic cars but cant change their oil, We have Big Mouths that are never helpful, We have guys that are ready, willing, and able to promote the group in our modern world and we try to run them out of town, We have guys that live for their number count and feel this gives then credibility. What ever reason people come here for, they should have that ability to share openly, and willingly! Small group and getting smaller, time to let others steer the ship out of what some refer to, as a cesspool of discussions. Thin skinned and or Newbies dont stick around very long. Little more positivity will go far...

shlby66

Why not remove post numbers? Does it have any real influence, on how we take care of our Cobras and Shelbys?
   If I remember correctly, about 10 or 12 years ago we had the "Capt. Dave" episode, where he was flooding the
   Forum with one-word posts, continuously, similar to what's going on with the Florida rudeness and it's boring. I don't
   need to have any post numbers, to feel good about. Get rid of them.

Doug C

PS.  I'm also one of those, who have chosen, to no longer present technical information, on this Forum, due to
          the rude and nasty responses, to information presented. I'll just let them find out the hard way.