News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Installing Scott Fuller exhaust 1966 GT 350

Started by 6s1640, March 13, 2021, 03:29:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6s1640

Hi all,

On the Scott Fuller exhaust for 66 GT35O, it comes as one piece from the H pipe back. To install on a car do you have to drop the rear axle or can it  be installed with a tire and wheels removed and fed over axle?  If not how does one install?

Thanks

Cory

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 6s1640 on March 13, 2021, 03:29:26 PM
Hi all,

On the Scott Fuller exhaust for 66 GT35O, it comes as one piece from the H pipe back. To install on a car do you have to drop the rear axle or can it  be installed with a tire and wheels removed and fed over axle?  If not how does one install?

Thanks

Cory
You don't have to have the wheels and tires removed but the car does need to be up high on a lift . I have not done one over a grease pit which would be harder. The extra room allows you to angle the pipes up and over the rear end housing. I have never done one on the ground and can only imagine how hard and how many extra steps that would be..
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

DRGT350

Cory, 

Bob is right-  car needs to be off the ground on a lift quite a bit to snake them in. I took the lower shocks off the perch to pivot them out of the way a bit, and removed the vent hose on the drivers side.

Dave

CharlesTurner

Cover the rear housing with a blanket when installing the exhaust like that.

On the assembly line, the exhaust was hung before the rear housing/leaf springs went in.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

6s1640

Well, it can be done.  I installed the 1966 Mustang Scott Fuller dual exhaust with the car only 16 inches off the ground.  The pax side was the easiest, just spiraled the tail pipe over the rear axle with jacks under the axle.  The drive side did require the suspension to hang to create more clearance to the body. So I lifted the body from the driver side torque box and it also spiraled right in.  I didn't even have to remove shocks,  the vent nor the brake lines.  The trick was not having a fuel tank in place.  It needed to come out anyhow to get all the bad gas and crap out.  I installed the exhaust with the Fuller  bubble wrap in place to protect both the exhaust and the other car pieces.  Thanks for the help.

Take care

Cory

kingchief

Cory,

Should have made a youtube video!!!

Steve
SFM 6S406