News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Three Cobra Questions

Started by tesgt350, December 09, 2023, 11:44:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tesgt350

01>  Does SA build their own Cobra Bodies or are they using Superformance rolling Bodies for the Fiberglass Units?

02>  How hard is the Roll Bar Hoop is to remove so it can be Re-Chromed?

03>  How easy it to install Twin Super Chargers on the 427 Cobra?

Bill

Quote from: tesgt350 on December 09, 2023, 11:44:12 AM
01>  Does SA build their own Cobra Bodies or are they using Superformance rolling Bodies for the Fiberglass Units?

While SPF South Africa is building the 427SC style cars, they are not using the typical SPF chassis (square tube), nor body, but instead using the SAI spec round tube chassis and SAI fiberglass body on a separate assembly line within the same complex.
The 289 roadster, and 289 FIA body styles, for both the SPF and SAI cars, are using the same Ross Henry designed fiberglass body and chassis assembly. There are minor trim and finish differences between the two, but not much else.

02>  How hard is the Roll Bar Hoop is to remove so it can be Re-Chromed?
Since you did not tells us which version you are working on (427SC vs forward style 289FIA, even though you asked about the Paxtons below, I'll respond for both), the 427SC will be less then two hours to remove, the FIA a few minutes longer as you may need to remove the lower seat pan to get access to the lock nuts under the car....Me personally, I prefer the non chrome version, as the car is what it is, adding chrome and polished engine parts are a waste of time and money. Get in, turn the key, and drive, that is what it as built for.

03>  How easy it to install Twin Super Chargers on the 427 Cobra?

Do you want them to fit under the hood? If so, then there will be a lot of custom fabrication involved, as there is no established kit out on the market.

The question not asked by you,but now by me to make you think really hard before you go down that road, do you really want them, if you plan to drive or trailer the car to anything but shows, I'd recommend leaving them off. Why, simple, 200hp at the rear wheels is enough to get you, the uninitiated owner in trouble, maybe even kill you. Having the sudden boost of power from twin Paxston superchargers will cause you to at the very least, soil yourself when you lose control of the car......Now, you might be saying to yourself "I know what I'm doing", but honestly, you don't, a Cobra, real or replica, is unlike any other car on the planet, short wheelbase, low weight, no power brakes, steering, or modern safety features......As others here can attest to, I've got over 120,000 miles behind the wheel of the ones that have graced my garage (SPF, ERA, Contemporary, Factory Five, Unique, and a shared Kirkham), big block,small block, turbo charged, supercharged, carb'd and fuel injected, mixed use, 80% street and 20% track. Even with that experience under my belt, I remind myself every time I get in, that the car will try to kill me as soon as turn the key. A very healthy dose of respect for the car, and what it is capable of is not a bad mindset.

Hope you find all of this helpful

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

98SVT - was 06GT

SA builds nothing - they are assemblers of aftermarket parts. I know they use Kirkham for the aluminum cars and charge you an extra 20-30 grand for the CSX number - what was it that PT Barnum said about a sucker being born every minute?

Denbeste also pays a royalty to put the Shelby name on their engines.

Superformance assembles (or has subcontractors assemble) car kit they produce in South Africa. They pay SA a royalty on each car to call it a Cobra.

In the past buying a new fully assembled kit car was a paperwork process where you bought the kit from one company then another company was required to assemble it. Recent law changes now allow a company to sell a complete car in limited numbers. https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.gov/files/2022-02/Replica-Vehicles-Final-Rule-02-22-2022-Disclaimer.pdf
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

tesgt350

That was VERY Helpful Bill.  Thank you very much.

Bill

Quote from: tesgt350 on December 09, 2023, 06:42:20 PM
That was VERY Helpful Bill.  Thank you very much.

Happy to help when I can.

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0