News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Dimmer switch rubber cap and carpet grommet

Started by deathsled, April 29, 2024, 08:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

Fancy seeing me in this section of the boards.  That said, anyone here a bit neurotic about having the rubber cap on the high beam switch and the grommet that is embedded in the carpet?  I am considering getting them for the Hertz.  Along with some other missing parts and pieces like the battery shield that mounts to the inner fender apron to prevent the positive from sparking upon removal.  Keep in mind that Legendary Motor Car did all of the body and paint.  I was a poor struggling lawyer back then so I had to pull the car.  Two assemblers came and went to get the car road worthy but they were not Mustang guys so some things were hit and miss.  I am aiming to correct the missing stuff.  A fire has been lit under me.  Finally. 
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

s2ms

The dimmer switch cap was originally used only on convertibles IIRC...
Dave - 6S1757

Bob Gaines

Quote from: s2ms on April 29, 2024, 08:53:53 PMThe dimmer switch cap was originally used only on convertibles IIRC...
- and no grommet in the carpet.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

The carpet plastic grommet  is something that the reproduction carpet suppliers adapted from some other make of cars and started including with Mustangs/Shelby carpet as far back as the early 80's. Not factory and kind of communicates that the owner/builder doesn't care about being correct/restored or just hasn't done their research and are following what use to be the "crowd" One of the many things (like CAUTION FAN decals) that finally got corrected in the hobby back in the 90's

Welcome to the madness/party  8)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

deathsled

Thank you gentlemen.  I will not be adding any rubber cap or grommet therefore.  So it is just a small hole in the carpet and the metal dimmer switch and nothing else.  I am good with that.  Has a more Mad Max wasteland feel about it.  Plus it would be added weight to the car no matter how infinitesimal.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

J_Speegle

Quote from: deathsled on April 29, 2024, 09:39:43 PMThank you gentlemen.  I will not be adding any rubber cap or grommet therefore.  So it is just a small hole in the carpet and the metal dimmer switch and nothing else. 

Yep
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

S7MS427

Interesting.  Guess I'll be removing the grommet and rubber cap from 6S817 as well.  They came with my last carpet I put in about 10 years ago.  Thank for the info.
Roy Simkins
http://www.s-techent.com/Shelby.htm
1966 G.T.350H SFM6S817
1967 G.T.500 67400F7A03040

Bob Gaines

Quote from: S7MS427 on April 29, 2024, 10:16:03 PMInteresting.  Guess I'll be removing the grommet and rubber cap from 6S817 as well.  They came with my last carpet I put in about 10 years ago.  Thank for the info.
The rubber cap is easy enough to remove but something to consider, unfortunately if the grommet has been added the hole is now too big and obviously so once removed. In that case the grommet might make the most sense to leave in place. Just a thought. FYI the original dimmer switch hole was typically done with a simple X cut in the carpet that the dimmer switch pushed up through consequently it was a close fit.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby