News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Carbon fiber. How long does it last?

Started by deathsled, February 04, 2020, 01:30:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

As much as I am a huge fan of the new Ford GT wrapped in carbon fiber, I begin to wonder how long the car will last or will it be dust in 50 years? I've sought out answers online but nothing seems to address the question.

As a grim supplement to my inquiry, whether it is or is not dust in 50 years, I know that, in fact  I will be. (I am carbon based after all.)

Richard E.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

As it's a relatively new method of construction I suspect any estimate would be a guess.Unless come one was secretly experimenting with this stuff a half century.Also weathering conditions would have to be considered,although I suspect 99% of these cars will spend 99% of their time in climate controlled storage,so there's that... ::)

Royce Peterson

Carbon fiber construction was being used in aircraft 40 years ago. We are now scrapping 40 year old aircraft because they are obsolete. The carbon fiber parts looks like new generally, right up to the time it is cut to bits. It can be damaged by heat, oil soaking, vibration etc. We are talking about 500 + degrees of engine heat, not the weather. Carbon fiber has its strengths and weaknesses just like any material. Treated with proper respect and care it will last a long time, longer than any of us.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Quote from: Royce Peterson on February 04, 2020, 02:09:13 PM
Carbon fiber construction was being used in aircraft 40 years ago. We are now scrapping 40 year old aircraft because they are obsolete. The carbon fiber parts looks like new generally, right up to the time it is cut to bits. It can be damaged by heat, oil soaking, vibration etc. We are talking about 500 + degrees of engine heat, not the weather. Carbon fiber has its strengths and weaknesses just like any material. Treated with proper respect and care it will last a long time, longer than any of us.
.  Any idea exactly when it was first adapted for automotive use?

CSX 4133

I'm fairly sure the carbon fiber is finished in a UV coating. There are additional products that can be applied to help aid in the UV protection.

Rukiddin

Not sure how long it "lasts" ,but I got curious about the process to create a part using carbon fiber for a favorite project of mine.....grandson was involved at Purdue Aviation and learned a lot about building/repair of cf parts in aircraft. I am not too far from Indy and found a company that makes parts for high end race cars,both Indy and NHRA. One thing I learned was it is not cheap......but I was on a mission. Followed their advice,made a form similar to fiberglass manufacturing, but very different. My 67 Fairlane drag car now has a 9 lb hood. Original is 41 lbs. I looked at some of their work being done on BIG name funny car/Indycar and was amazed. Pro Stock bikes and many other race teams use cf for weight saving and strength. Properly protected from long-term exposure to harsh chemicals like exotic fuels,or solvents/lubes,etc there is no "expiration date ". Experts in the business can duplicate many types of parts that will last a very long time. Ford did a lot of research and is very much aware of what is expected. Carbor fiber can also be repaired if proper materials and methods are used. Funny cars are a perfect example of required repairs. Do a few Yahoo searches about the  uses of cf. It amazes me.

tesgt350

The New Shelby GT 500 Wheels are made of Carbon Fiber.

When this stuff fails,does it delaminates,like fiberglass,shred,or what???

CSX 4133

Basically unless the product is damaged the fibers are stable indefinitely. There are four types of carbon fiber material with four different levels of hardness, with standard or intermediate grades being the most common.
I have several small CF parts on cars that are 5+ years old and show no signs of degradation.
I have access to a friends 3D printer, hopefully I can get in the queue for making some small items.

Royce Peterson

Quote from: Rukiddin on February 04, 2020, 06:58:13 PM
Not sure how long it "lasts" ,but I got curious about the process to create a part using carbon fiber for a favorite project of mine.....grandson was involved at Purdue Aviation and learned a lot about building/repair of cf parts in aircraft. I am not too far from Indy and found a company that makes parts for high end race cars,both Indy and NHRA. One thing I learned was it is not cheap......but I was on a mission. Followed their advice,made a form similar to fiberglass manufacturing, but very different. My 67 Fairlane drag car now has a 9 lb hood. Original is 41 lbs. I looked at some of their work being done on BIG name funny car/Indycar and was amazed. Pro Stock bikes and many other race teams use cf for weight saving and strength. Properly protected from long-term exposure to harsh chemicals like exotic fuels,or solvents/lubes,etc there is no "expiration date ". Experts in the business can duplicate many types of parts that will last a very long time. Ford did a lot of research and is very much aware of what is expected. Carbor fiber can also be repaired if proper materials and methods are used. Funny cars are a perfect example of required repairs. Do a few Yahoo searches about the  uses of cf. It amazes me.

Royce Peterson

Any process that is used to make fiberglass parts can be used to make carbon fiber parts. We typically make molds of the part required, then do a wet layup, followed by vacuum bagging while the parts cure. Then after the part is removed from the mold you can accomplish final fit and apply a surface finish (paint for example) if required. Parts that are expected to be exposed to lots of vibration or heat are formed using an autoclave.

Kevlar parts are made in similar fashion with different materials.

Quote from: Rukiddin on February 04, 2020, 06:58:13 PM

Royce Peterson

It varies depending on whether the resin is heated or used in an autoclave or with a hot bonding pad, or room temperature, how the resin is mixed, what the thickness of the layup is, etc. Generally from 20 minutes to 2 hours but we tend to leave everything overnight just to be sure we get good results. If you are working with a large layup you would mix for slower cure due to the working time required. Or just apply the heat after everything is ready. Lots of ways to manipulate cure time.

Quote from: 557 on February 07, 2020, 12:09:50 AM
What is curing time with that stuff???

Any idea if it reacts negatively with polyurethane or expanded polystyrene foam?