News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Barn Find... Extravaganza

Started by Greg, March 12, 2018, 04:15:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg

Is there anyone besides me tired of the "barn find" hype.  Oh my, don't forget to leave the dirt, mice droppings and bird crap on it.  That shows everyone how rare it is to see a dirty car that was stored improperly in a barn.  Seriously, pretty much every barn find I have found were rusty hulks, hence the reason for the "barn find" status.  How about a concrete floor "Garage find" :)
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

CharlesTurner

It does get old after a while.  Agree that most 'barn finds' are a result of neglect and very rarely can be dusted off and put back on the road with little effort. 

I'm sure a lot of us do dream of finding that rare car tucked away somewhere and able to buy it at a good price.  There's a little treasure-hunter in all of us.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Side-Oilers

Agreed!

In the '70s and '80s, I used to slow down and crane my neck each time I drove past a rural junkyard, in hopes of seeing part of a forgotten Cobra hidden among the dead cars.

But I finally came to my senses and gave up on that.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

SFM6S087

The term "barn find" is WAY over used because it invokes feelings of finding a long forgotten treasure. And is a marketing tool to try to increase interest and value. Most cars being described as such have never been in a barn and certainly weren't lost or forgotten – just neglected.

I see no value or pride to be taken when someone closes the door on a nice car, and opens the door years later to a rotted, rusted mess. For me, neglect does not add value.

Steve

pmustang

I've had a few lately although I do expect they were long term garage stored cars.

Bought a black primer 67 FB from Colorado. I was very dubious as the car was on craigslist forever. I happened to be travelling to Colorado and when I was there I called the guy, He sent me videos galore, Stuff no seller ever shows you like under the dash/cowl and so forth, I was going to buy it until I saw the trunk, Never saw so much bitumen in my life. Literally slathered on and probably 1/2 inch thick in places. He swore blind it was all unrusted factory sheet metal. At the price we agreed I could replace the whole back end and still be good so I took a punt and bought it.

I happened to be only about 50 miles from the car about a week later so went and visited. The car was as described, Insanely insanely rust free, There was a battery mounted in the trunk so we assumed the bitumen was to stop rust from the battery outgassing. He had removed some of the bitumen on all seams, below tail lights, wheel house to trunk floor seam, etc...all was perfect. Then he hands me a fishing tackle box filled with receipts including 2 change of owner bill of sales and the new car purchase showing it was bought 50 miles from where I bought it, Great car.

Also a Forum member recently sold me a car he assured me was time warp condition. He sent extensive photos and details and I pulled the trigger. The car showed up and its beyond reproach, I removed the carpets and the floors are like a dream, little details abound with clips, brackets and spacers I have never seen on a restored car. Just sublime. The cool detail was that under the rear seat with all the mice nests was a vintage parts wrapper with a name, address and phone number for a guy in California. I am dying to call the number...

I also bought out of the Carolinas a car that was stored for decades, Original owner title and patina up the wazoo. That car went to Belgium for an awesome restoration.

So barns..no, dry stored garages, yes. 

Greg

Check this barn find out.  It is a rare 1 of approx 50 R Code 1966 Galaxies.  This car was so far gone that it would have to be rebodied so I passed.  Better watch out for this one at upcoming auctions....

Enjoy.... 

Greg

more....

The car was aweful and it was ashame to be stored that way.  The guy selling the car had the engine, carbs, headers, trans etc...but sold them apart from the car (go figure that one).  So all you were buying was the Vin tag and past rusty hull. 

Bigfoot

Messy.
Love the first photo.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Greg

I know..... just so happened that a tree fell on it  :o.  Crazy thing is, the guy pulled the drive train, less the rear and left the car to rott.  Head scratcher for sure....

The hull was eventually sold to someone in the midwest or CA, don't recall.  The drive train went somewhere up North..NH way I believe.

deathsled

In my opinion there is a little psychology going on with the idea of a barn find and I must admit myself when I see a beaten car it somehow appears attractive to me. Going through my mind are thoughts of what might be mixed with a desire to rescue or save it. We as men have the instinct to rescue and save (particularly for women) and this drive spills over to cars if you happen to be driven by the automotive bug.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Bigfoot

My buddy bought an original paint Survivor B9 from the original owner just a few years ago.
Had been sitting in his garage forever.

THAT,........was a find.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Greg

Quote from: Bigfoot on March 14, 2018, 02:14:40 PM
My buddy bought an original paint Survivor B9 from the original owner just a few years ago.
Had been sitting in his garage forever.

THAT,........was a find.

Yes sir THAT was a find!

tesgt350

Look at all the "Barn Finds" on Gas Monkey..........I am just so glad that he sells most of them as is and doesn't put his Stank on them.

Quote from: tesgt350 on March 14, 2018, 02:59:38 PM
Look at all the "Barn Finds" on Gas Monkey..........I am just so glad that he sells most of them as is and doesn't put his Stank on them.

^^^^THIS

deathsled

Stinky, stanky, stunky.  But Richard Rawlings is entertaining.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"