News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Starter Bad?

Started by 69mach351w, June 06, 2021, 01:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69mach351w

I had a mishap Friday leaving doctor appt. I came back out and started the engine, no problem for a second, then screetching noise w/engine running, I turned engine off quickly. Went back to start engine, starter bendix/gear just zinged with no engagement into flywheel, done again, same thing. Finally started and got the car home.

I removed starter today and done the power test and the bendix barely moved out. About .120" (1/8" see photo, calipers and red line). Shouldn't the starter bendix be fully extending up to top of cone? (at yellow line)?

Also, I'm probably going to replace the solenoid and I have thought about the starter switch also. Seems for just an INSTANT the starter key switch may have caused this because of the looseness.

Any thoughts?

And as always, Any help is deeply appreciated,
Rich

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 69mach351w on June 06, 2021, 01:23:53 PM
I had a mishap Friday leaving doctor appt. I came back out and started the engine, no problem for a second, then screetching noise w/engine running, I turned engine off quickly. Went back to start engine, starter bendix/gear just zinged with no engagement into flywheel, done again, same thing. Finally started and got the car home.

I removed starter today and done the power test and the bendix barely moved out. About .120" (1/8" see photo, calipers and red line). Shouldn't the starter bendix be fully extending up to top of cone? (at yellow line)?

Also, I'm probably going to replace the solenoid and I have thought about the starter switch also. Seems for just an INSTANT the starter key switch may have caused this because of the looseness.

Any thoughts?

And as always, Any help is deeply appreciated,
Rich
You need  to have your starter rebuilt or a different starter. The Bendix has gone bad it sounds like from your description. What you describe is one of the most common symptoms for a starter when it goes bad.  The starter solenoid and key switch are unrelated to the Bendix going out typically.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

69mach351w

Thanks Bob,
I figure I'd just go ahead and swap to a new solenoid since all items were installed some 20 years ago and that the solenoid is wired directly in-line to the starter. The ignition switch key is a little wobbly when cranking the engine, but I'm going to hold off on the ignition switch since it's probably still got some life in it, it was new also back 20 years ago. 

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 69mach351w on June 06, 2021, 06:39:10 PM
Thanks Bob,
I figure I'd just go ahead and swap to a new solenoid since all items were installed some 20 years ago and that the solenoid is wired directly in-line to the starter. The ignition switch key is a little wobbly when cranking the engine, but I'm going to hold off on the ignition switch since it's probably still got some life in it, it was new also back 20 years ago.
It will not hurt to swap out or not swap out ether item. If it makes you feel better about heading off a future problem then it is well worth it considering how easy it is to switch and the cost of the part. The ignition switch is a little more work.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

69mach351w

Yea, I drive the 67 about everywhere, when weather allows.  ;D

Thanks Bob.

deathsled

Charlie Kemp R model sounds like it had the same problem just before it went up on stage to be sold...the crowd groans...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAZ6S19XKj4
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

NC TRACKRAT

While the starter's out, check the teeth on your ring gear.  Sometimes, they're ground down in spots (or missing a tooth) so bad that the bendix won't engage.
5S071, 6S1467

69mach351w

NCT, I checked the ring gear and looks good as much as I could tell.

Thanks All
Very appreciated ;)