News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

$4,100 for a Cobra keychain

Started by deathsled, September 20, 2019, 09:03:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Vintage-Carroll-Shelby-Cobra-CS-1960s-Keychain-Key-Ring-in-box-289-427-/133170366894?ul_noapp=true&autorefresh=true&nma=true&si=Z2bNkUlDtzSODfXrFWCmoRFmUSY%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Wow!  Congrats to whoever won.  But my concern now becomes the winner dealing with the hard end of a rolling pin.  You bought wha?  For how much?  Wha? Boing!!!!Knocked out cold with the rolling pin.  Hide it!

"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

BGlover67

Great point.  I was in that feeding frenzy for a bit.  Congrats to whoever bought it.

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

CSX 4133

It will probably stay in the box I imagine. As the over all length makes it constantly swing against your leg, really annoying in my book.

GT350Lad

Is that the same one that the 65 GT350 sometimes came with? I have seen one it looked different on the back?
Very nice item
6S373
6S1276

Richstang

OK, if no else will say it, I will.

The backside street address is wrong "1002 Princeton".
We all know that should be '1042 Princeton Drive"

and...what about a zip code?

So...is it real???
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Chris Thauberger

Quote from: deathsled on September 20, 2019, 09:03:46 PM
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Vintage-Carroll-Shelby-Cobra-CS-1960s-Keychain-Key-Ring-in-box-289-427-/133170366894?ul_noapp=true&autorefresh=true&nma=true&si=Z2bNkUlDtzSODfXrFWCmoRFmUSY%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Wow!  Congrats to whoever won.  But my concern now becomes the winner dealing with the hard end of a rolling pin.  You bought wha?  For how much?  Wha? Boing!!!!Knocked out cold with the rolling pin.  Hide it!

Is this any different than paying a million for the first 2020 GT500?
Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

deathsled

1002 versus 1042.  Very disconcerting.  Hmmmmm.

deathsled

I hope it's real for whoever purchased it.  There must be some plausible explanation.  Did  Shelby have some spare warehouse or store front at 1002?  Is that possible?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Chris Thauberger on September 20, 2019, 11:16:59 PM
Quote from: deathsled on September 20, 2019, 09:03:46 PM

Is this any different than paying a million for the first 2020 GT500?
Don't you think Craig J plans on using difference between the million and normal sticker on a 2020 as a charitable donation on his taxes?
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

deathsled

^^^^^^^
Ding ding.
Back to that keychain.  Someone is going to have a complaint to ebay I suspect.  I don't think caveat emptor will apply in this particular instance.  Unless there is a plausible explanation.  Maybe Vern Estes can chime in.

George Schalk

I'm by no means an expert on this particular key chain, but the one in the feebay auction is very similar to an original, but yet different.  The color, material type, font and font spacing is just a bit different than an original.  I am not sure if this key chain was reproduced over the years, but I have my doubts it's an original.  Notice the address is 1002 Princeton, same as the feebay auction key chain.

Here is a pic of a used original:

George Schalk

Here is a pic of the feebay keychain:

George Schalk

The background on the front "COBRA" side of each key chain is definitely different between the two. 

Maybe there were different versions? 

Vernon Estes

Hey Guys,

The keychain which was up for auction on eBay was an original.

The 1002 address has always been a distinction of these keychains. I am fairly certain that was merely a reprint but all originals have this address on them.

In fact, the keychain has never been reproduced outside of a few plastic examples made by a collector for him and a few buddies.

In regards to the difference in font thickness between the more worn example above and the mint condition one sold on eBay, I think that is likely attributed to the dye being used on the keychain changing after so many strikes. Just my opinion, but you see many parts  and accessories "morph" like that over the course of "production" as the MFG equipment wears.

Kind regards,
Vern

PS- the differences in appearance of the two keychains on this thread is also common....when these keychains are mint condition they are shiny, silvery..and almost have a brushed appearance to them. When they are used as intended they patina down to a brown/gold/rustic sort of appearance.
Junk dealer and the oldest young guy you will ever know.

TONY

Vern,
thank you for your knowledgeable explanations!!