News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

NEW CANNONBALL CROSS COUNTRY RUN RECORD SET

Started by FL SAAC, April 10, 2020, 08:11:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Bigfoot

I'm torn......
On the one hand it seems like cheating.
On the other hand it's ingenious to do it now.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Reading the article, in addition to risking legal action, breaking records like this have become politically incorrect.

Side-Oilers

Wow. That's hauling serious azz.  To average 106 mph they'd have to be running upwards of 150 mph much of the time.

I'm surprised that they weren't nabbed by law enforcement somewhere along the way. 

Even with fewer units patrolling the highways, it only takes one.

I'd guess that there are a few on here who've tried similar. Kopec, for sure.

I did the Four Ball Rally (Boston to San Diego) in '82 and it was an experience.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

FL SAAC

Silly arbitrary rules 

If your not cheating, your not trying 

Accomplish your goals

Quote from: Bigfoot on April 10, 2020, 08:36:24 PM
I'm torn......

I have all UNGOLD cars

Bigfoot

RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

gt350shelb

Quote from: Bigfoot on April 10, 2020, 08:36:24 PM
I'm torn......

I must be on the same page .... just last week i was saying what a perfect time to  run this !
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

FL SAAC

C.H.A.O.S.  just do it !

Quote from: 2112 on April 10, 2020, 08:41:45 PM
Reading the article, in addition to risking legal action, breaking records like this have become politically incorrect.

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

just wondering what was their best m.p g.

did anyone see if it was mentioned in the articles...

Quote from: Side-Oilers on April 10, 2020, 09:52:54 PM
Wow. That's hauling serious azz.  To average 106 mph they'd have to be running upwards of 150 mph much of the time.

I'm surprised that they weren't nabbed by law enforcement somewhere along the way. 

Even with fewer units patrolling the highways, it only takes one.

I'd guess that there are a few on here who've tried similar. Kopec, for sure.

I did the Four Ball Rally (Boston to San Diego) in '82 and it was an experience.

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

Aaaaah... I see you are a child of the participation trophies era...

Coach always told us:

You can only have one first place  and they call them winners

Second place = 1st losers

Quote from: Bigfoot on April 10, 2020, 10:18:56 PM
Quote from: FL SAAC TONY on April 10, 2020, 10:13:44 PM
Silly arbitrary rules

If your not cheating, your not trying

Lovely

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

Back to the topic at hand ... them boys kicked a$$ !

I have all UNGOLD cars

98SVT - was 06GT

Now would be the perfect time to drag the Yates/Needham ambulance out of mothballs.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

FL SAAC

The Cannonball genie has granted your wish

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on April 11, 2020, 01:49:50 PM
Now would be the perfect time to drag the Yates/Needham ambulance out of mothballs.

Here's a shot of Brock Yates's ambulance from the final real Cannonball in '79. The same van was used in the movie 'The Cannonball Run'. This was a great idea. Instead of flat-out speed, Yates was banking on subterfuge. His vehicle was a Dodge ambulance, accurate in every detail, including a patient (his wife, Pamela, actually) on a gurney sprouting intravenous feeding tubes and a genuine medical doctor (a friend of Hal Needham's). Unseen beneath the trappings of their Transcon Medi-Vac was a souped-up Magnum 440 engine and a special suspension that would let the ungainly hulk cruise at 130. The ambulance looked good on paper but no sooner did it leave the Barrel than a sputtering carburettor forced it into the first gas station for an hour's worth of repairs. Still, their ruse worked. Traffic on the Cross-Bronx Expressway parted in front of the ambulance like the Red Sea before Moses. It wasn't until they got into darkest New Jersey that the police stopped them.  Yates and Needham piled out of the van dressed in white uniforms.  '' we got to take this lady to the UCLA medical center" they told the police.  " Plug her in a special heart lung machine ". Why doesnt she take a plane the cop asked? "Cysts on the lungs" Yates  replied " she cant take the cabin pressure" The trooper watched as they sped away. He couldn't hear them cackling inside. "They are the most fascist enforcers around" said Yates "and we flat out bamboozled  them"

I have all UNGOLD cars

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: FL SAAC TONY on April 11, 2020, 04:52:28 PM

Here's a shot of Brock Yates's ambulance from the final real Cannonball in '79. The same van was used in the movie 'The Cannonball Run'. This was a great idea. Instead of flat-out speed, Yates was banking on subterfuge. His vehicle was a Dodge ambulance, accurate in every detail, including a patient (his wife, Pamela, actually) on a gurney sprouting intravenous feeding tubes and a genuine medical doctor (a friend of Hal Needham's). Unseen beneath the trappings of their Transcon Medi-Vac was a souped-up Magnum 440 engine and a special suspension that would let the ungainly hulk cruise at 130. The ambulance looked good on paper but no sooner did it leave the Barrel than a sputtering carburettor forced it into the first gas station for an hour's worth of repairs. Still, their ruse worked. Traffic on the Cross-Bronx Expressway parted in front of the ambulance like the Red Sea before Moses. It wasn't until they got into darkest New Jersey that the police stopped them.  Yates and Needham piled out of the van dressed in white uniforms.  '' we got to take this lady to the UCLA medical center" they told the police.  " Plug her in a special heart lung machine ". Why doesnt she take a plane the cop asked? "Cysts on the lungs" Yates  replied " she cant take the cabin pressure" The trooper watched as they sped away. He couldn't hear them cackling inside. "They are the most fascist enforcers around" said Yates "and we flat out bamboozled  them"

The trans finally died about 100 miles east of LA. They had even dumped engine oil in it to get a little further. They got some kid driving his dad's semi to dump his load and haul them the rest of the way. They were wondering how to get it off the flatbed in Redondo Beach when I said use the boat hoist. Worked great the guy drove the truck under the lift they picked it up and swung it over the water while the guy backed the truck out. Once it was on the dock they drove it the few hundred feet to the parking lot. I've got pictures of the whole thing somewhere.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

FL SAAC

Good morning!
Well dig those pics up and share them with us
Thanks

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on April 11, 2020, 08:06:34 PM
Quote from: FL SAAC TONY on April 11, 2020, 04:52:28 PM

The trans finally died about 100 miles east of LA. They had even dumped engine oil in it to get a little further. They got some kid driving his dad's semi to dump his load and haul them the rest of the way. They were wondering how to get it off the flatbed in Redondo Beach when I said use the boat hoist. Worked great the guy drove the truck under the lift they picked it up and swung it over the water while the guy backed the truck out. Once it was on the dock they drove it the few hundred feet to the parking lot. I've got pictures of the whole thing somewhere.

I have all UNGOLD cars