News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1969 paint questions

Started by kasearch@ix.netcom.com, June 25, 2023, 10:13:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kasearch@ix.netcom.com

What color/treatment would I put on the underside of the front fenders? Body color? Undercoat? Primer?
On the front center hood scoop, behind the opening, Is that area painted black or is it body color?

Coralsnake

The underside of the fenders only has overspray of body color. There is no need to undercoat fiberglass

Inside the scoops is painted black
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

TLea

The entire nose was assembled as bare raw fiberglass with gray sealer on exterior surfaces then exterior was painted body color. On backside you would see mixture of combination of white, gray and pink fiberglass with black sealer and body color overspray. There also is frequently a banding of what I would call aqua around radius of inner wheel lip.

Bob Gaines

To add- there is a bonding strip that adheres the lower front of the fender to the main fender body. On ether side of the bonding strip is a dark gray epoxy that squeezed out during the attaching process. The contrast color of the epoxy can be seen through the typical overspray in that area.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

Some pictures I hope will illustrate

In this one the gray epoxy is there but the front support bracket isn't any longer

Same thing here

A little off focus of the the thread but a look at this example from above the headlight area

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

Jeff posted a very typical look from under the fender. If you understand how the front clip was done off of the car you can see how the overspray patterns formed.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby