News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Hipo pieces? Connecting rods and main bearing caps.

Started by deathsled, October 15, 2023, 12:59:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

Long ago my father said he had a set of 289 hipo stuff namely connecting rods and said you identify them because of the football shaped bolt heads. Found these along with main bearing caps strung together with wire. Cleaning out his garage and showed them and he said they were garbage not worth anything. He's almost 96 now so maybe missing the finer details lately? Opinions on what I am looking at would be appreciated.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

s2ms

Football shaped rod bolts are Boss 302 which are the correct HiPo 289 service part. Rod bolt nuts should use a 9/16" wrench which means they are the correct 3/8" bolts. Main caps look to be HiPo but need photos of the markings on the tops to verify, could also be Mexican caps. OE HiPo rear cap with be cast with C3OE-A.
Dave - 6S1757

deathsled

9/16 fits the nuts. Here are the pics of the bearing caps.  Difficult to maneuver without him policing me. He said I'm not getting them because he is throwing them out. He said he paid $300 for all of it at one time. No longer cares. But I do.

TA Coupe

I can't tell from the picture if that is a hipo rod or a boss rod. It would have to be machined (spot faced) for the football head. The bolt doesn't appear to be flush with the rod so it is could just be pushed in until it stopped. Here's pics of 2 different rods. One spot faced and one not.

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

s2ms

Quote from: deathsled on October 15, 2023, 04:10:04 PM
9/16 fits the nuts. Here are the pics of the bearing caps.  Difficult to maneuver without him policing me. He said I'm not getting them because he is throwing them out. He said he paid $300 for all of it at one time. No longer cares. But I do.

Thanks for the additional photos. Main caps are are not OE HiPo, look to be Mexican caps.
Dave - 6S1757

deathsled

Quote from: s2ms on October 15, 2023, 09:09:54 PM
Quote from: deathsled on October 15, 2023, 04:10:04 PM

Thanks for the additional photos. Main caps are are not OE HiPo, look to be Mexican caps.
Okay duly noted. Thank you.

Lincoln tech

Why would you want to use main caps that are not original to the block ? I know it can be done ( line bore ) but is it worth the trouble ?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Lincoln tech on October 16, 2023, 09:12:43 AM
Why would you want to use main caps that are not original to the block ? I know it can be done ( line bore ) but is it worth the trouble ?
In the case of a hipo . People can take a non hipo block which has the same casting number and convert it to a hipo block with the addition of the correct hipo main caps. Beefier hipo main caps designed for more sever use are physically a different shape and stand out to knowledgably enthusiasts as such.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby