News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Date code on HI PO distributor.

Started by aboss4tg, April 28, 2024, 05:21:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aboss4tg

I have been putting together a HI PO motor with block, heads, and intake date coded 6K. My question is what date code distributor would be correct? Would the Fomoco or Autolite be correct? I see the Autolite with date codes in the 6J, M which are before and after the date on the block and not sure if I need the Fomoco or Autolite. Any help would be appreciated.

69 GT 350 Hertz
66 Convertible C code
66 Fastback A code
88 Saleen
89 SSP

Bob Gaines

Quote from: aboss4tg on April 28, 2024, 05:21:06 PMI have been putting together a HI PO motor with block, heads, and intake date coded 6K. My question is what date code distributor would be correct? Would the Fomoco or Autolite be correct? I see the Autolite with date codes in the 6J, M which are before and after the date on the block and not sure if I need the Fomoco or Autolite. Any help would be appreciated.

No absolute but if it mine I would try for a FOMOCO.Seen some early 67's with FOMOCO so there's that.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Road Reptile

Hello,
Also agree with Bob on FoMoCo as most common distributor type. My question is what condition is it in. To operate properly it must be in good shape internally-no play in the bushings and no binding/wear in the advance weights. You can replace points all day long and it does no good on a worn out distributor. Also 67 HiPo parts seem scarce when compared to 65-66 and you are always better to use early dated if given a choice.
R.R. 

rcgt350

I have FoMoCo 6G date in my 67' 350 October 66' build
I've forgotten when did Ford change over from FoMoCo ton Autolite?

J_Speegle

Quote from: rcgt350 on April 29, 2024, 01:14:49 PMI've forgotten when did Ford change over from FoMoCo ton Autolite?

Since the change over was not related to a mechanical change or things like that it was likely not a specific day but over a period of time as they started getting the new (Autolite) stock at the engine plant, it got entered into the inventory and mixed in with the old stock
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

aboss4tg

I appreciate the responses and have noticed a few distributors with varying dates, Fomoco dated 7D but also Autolite dated 6J-M.
Odd that the Fomoco was dated 5 months after the Autolites.

My next question would be, how close would the date be on the distributor with my 6K block? A few weeks prior to 6K, or a month or more?

Todd

69 GT 350 Hertz
66 Convertible C code
66 Fastback A code
88 Saleen
89 SSP

Bob Gaines

Quote from: aboss4tg on May 04, 2024, 04:27:51 PMI appreciate the responses and have noticed a few distributors with varying dates, Fomoco dated 7D but also Autolite dated 6J-M.
Odd that the Fomoco was dated 5 months after the Autolites.

My next question would be, how close would the date be on the distributor with my 6K block? A few weeks prior to 6K, or a month or more?

Todd

From a logistics standpoint if you were within a few weeks to a month of the block casting and you would be good IMO. I have seen some later and also some sooner. But that is just from my observations.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby