News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

C5AF-E Distributor

Started by Pops Otto, May 08, 2020, 03:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pops Otto

I've been going through my 40+ years accumulation of various swap meet treasures and came across this C5AF-21217-E distributor. Very little ware on it and still has Autolite points and condenser in it. However I searched every site I can find and the date code does not match up to anything I've found. C827  Should be a number for the year, letter for the month and a number for the week. I know it should be for a 65 or 66 year, but any explanation would be appreciated. Were there any carry over distributors to 1968? (lol)   Thanks

Rickmustang

Could be a service vs. assembly line part. Are you looking to sell, as I am needing one?
1965 G.T. 350
1967 Fairlane GT - 390 4-speed
1970 Mach 1 - 428CJ 4-speed/AC
1971 Mach 1 - 429CJ auto/AC
2005 Ford GT

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Rickmustang on May 08, 2020, 03:24:40 PM
Could be a service vs. assembly line part. Are you looking to sell, as I am needing one?
I think you hit the nail on the head. Later 68 Muscle parts catalog had them listed as a performance over the counter upgrade suggestion for example. There are even Motorcraft (1970's) C5AF-E dists. Later dates after production indicate service parts.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

428kid

I have one as well that's stamped funny. I
Has anyone seen one like this one? Looks like it is stamped MHC ? Sorry I know mine is a small block hipo. If not allowed please remove ? Just didn't know where to ask. Thanks Lance

Rukiddin

The C5AF-E is Most likely a 8C being a FoMoCo unit. Not a big deal,just a freak. The small block piece has the typical "smudged" ID markings. Most begin number (year) ,then letters for month and week. Again,not a big deal,just the way it is..... :D

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Bob Gaines on May 08, 2020, 04:06:39 PM
Quote from: Rickmustang on May 08, 2020, 03:24:40 PM
I think you hit the nail on the head. Later 68 Muscle parts catalog had them listed as a performance over the counter upgrade suggestion for example. There are even Motorcraft (1970's) C5AF-E dists. Later dates after production indicate service parts.
On reflection the FOMOCO trademark is out of the ordinary if the date code is a 68 . It would typically have a Autolite trademark with that date. Agree that a 65 or 66 date would be more in line with the casting. Hard for me to say why it is the way it is.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

NC TRACKRAT

I, too, have had a FoMoCo with a '68 date code.  In all probability, the casting vendor over-produced.
5S071, 6S1467

Bob Gaines

Quote from: NC TRACKRAT on May 08, 2020, 08:05:26 PM
I, too, have had a FoMoCo with a '68 date code.  In all probability, the casting vendor over-produced.
Maybe so but strange that Fomoco overstock didn't get used up before Autolite marked distributors started needed to be produced and used. I have seen numerous and currently have a number of 67 dated Autolite distributors. I have had and also seen 68 dated Autolite dated units.I am not saying your high probability is not correct but at the very least it would seem the large number of Autolite 67 and 68 distributors would be counter intuitive to a huge supply of Fomoco units left over in 67 and 68.