News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Rotisserie Recommendations?

Started by silverton_ford, September 28, 2018, 11:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverton_ford

Does anyone have any experience on purchasing a rotisserie?  Any good recommendations on which one to buy?  Any manufacturers to avoid?

I hate to pay a ton of shipping on one(maybe it isn't an issue, not sure), are there any companies that sell them in the Pacific Northwest?  I need one for my 1966 Mustang convertible project.   Thank you.

davez

I bought a whirlyjig. Looked at a number of different brands. Thought these have the best rotating heads. 
www.whirlyjig.com

acman63

I would never put a convert on a standard rotissiere.   even with braces its not enough support.  If you do end up with one like that do NOT turn it upside down.  bad things will happen
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

deathsled

That sounds ominous.  I would heed that advice.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Quote from: acman63 on September 29, 2018, 11:32:59 AM
I would never put a convert on a standard rotissiere.   even with braces its not enough support.  If you do end up with one like that do NOT turn it upside down.  bad things will happen

If not a standard, is there a specific rotisserie that would work?

silverton_ford

Jim,   Thank you!  I appreciate the knowledge.  It is good to know!  That answers that, I don't need to worry about a rotisserie anymore, just need some tall jack stands and a good creeper.   That I can do.   ;D

Greg

Quote from: silverton_ford on September 29, 2018, 11:16:30 PM

Jim,   Thank you!  I appreciate the knowledge.  It is good to know!  That answers that, I don't need to worry about a rotisserie anymore, just need some tall jack stands and a good creeper.   That I can do.   ;D

This is probably already understood, but I thought I would provide some caution.  Please be really careful with cutting away a the floor structure with a car on jack stands.  A friend of mine dad had a car on jack stands and was doing some repair and unfortunately the floor gave way and crushed him to death.  If you are pulling the rear end I recommend replacing it using a steel 2x2 and weld it to the top of the stands or bottom of the car (stretching the entire width of the car if possible).  Do the same in the front.  This insures that the load is spread across a larger area and you don't have to worry about one stand giving way and rolling the car on you.  Have be safe and have fun!
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

427heaven

And an extra bit of safety here-ALWAYS not sometimes, take your wheels off and slide them in the corners of your car. Just in front of the rear wheels and just behind the front wheels, most performance cars and trucks have big enough tires to protect you even if you belong to the BIG BELLY CREW. It is cheap, it is effective and it could save your life! Be safe you garage jockeys.....!!

silverton_ford

Quote from: Greg on September 30, 2018, 07:37:46 AM
Quote from: silverton_ford on September 29, 2018, 11:16:30 PM

This is probably already understood, but I thought I would provide some caution.  Please be really careful with cutting away a the floor structure with a car on jack stands.  A friend of mine dad had a car on jack stands and was doing some repair and unfortunately the floor gave way and crushed him to death.  If you are pulling the rear end I recommend replacing it using a steel 2x2 and weld it to the top of the stands or bottom of the car (stretching the entire width of the car if possible).  Do the same in the front.  This insures that the load is spread across a larger area and you don't have to worry about one stand giving way and rolling the car on you.  Have be safe and have fun!

Quote from: 427heaven on September 30, 2018, 11:40:00 AM
And an extra bit of safety here-ALWAYS not sometimes, take your wheels off and slide them in the corners of your car. Just in front of the rear wheels and just behind the front wheels, most performance cars and trucks have big enough tires to protect you even if you belong to the BIG BELLY CREW. It is cheap, it is effective and it could save your life! Be safe you garage jockeys.....!!

All great recommendations!  Thanks guys!   Working on these cars can be risky at times and must always be respected.   Luckily the car I am working on is very solid and has never had any rust.