News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Nice presentation on buying a street GT 40

Started by deathsled, May 09, 2024, 10:26:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

Looks like Klutt has or had a plan to buy it.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

SunDude

Like my father, I have just two emotions: Rage and Supressed Rage.

propayne

Yes, believe it aired when they were on Velocity/Motortrend.

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

deathsled

Oh wow!  It was released on his channel within hours before my posting giving me the impression that the buy was recent.  So it is a recycled episode.  Kind of like Graveyard Carz's modus operandi much to the annoyance of some of the fans.  Sorry about that. 

propayne

No need to apologize - Peter Klutt has had at least two TV shows that I can think of, plus the content they are creating solely for YouTube.

The time/date of when the episode is put up on their YouTube channel is what is referenced, not when it was originally filmed.

I miss his TV show - I thought it was one of the more interesting ones. Willing to bet it was more expensive to produce than the run-of-the-mill Graveyard Cars, Bitchen Rides, Texas Metal, Sam's Garage, Two Guys Garage, All Girls Garage, etc. etc.

- Phillip

President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

98SVT - was 06GT

ALL GT40s were "street" cars. By FIA regs they were streetable. The "road" option made the GT40 more comfortable for going to the grocery store. However the MKI and II did not pass US headlight laws so the MKIII (different MKI nose) was created.
It's not "amazing" that he has all the records. When Ford killed FAV John Wyer bought it. He created his Mirage using the original GT40 chassis with a different roof. He won LeMans in 68-9 with those and then took his Gulf sponsorship money and bought Porsches. The 917 became illegal and Wyer built his M6 for 72. After his GR8 car won LeMans in 1975 Wyer pulled out and Cluxton bought the place, cars/parts/paperwork etc.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

deathsled

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on May 10, 2024, 10:10:49 PMALL GT40s were "street" cars. By FIA regs they were streetable. The "road" option made the GT40 more comfortable for going to the grocery store. However the MKI and II did not pass US headlight laws so the MKIII (different MKI nose) was created.
It's not "amazing" that he has all the records. When Ford killed FAV John Wyer bought it. He created his Mirage using the original GT40 chassis with a different roof. He won LeMans in 68-9 with those and then took his Gulf sponsorship money and bought Porsches. The 917 became illegal and Wyer built his M6 for 72. After his GR8 car won LeMans in 1975 Wyer pulled out and Cluxton bought the place, cars/parts/paperwork etc.
Interesting history which I never knew. Thank you. I have some knowledge of the GT40 but only enough to get myself in trouble with inaccurate statements. This is why we have court reporters and and also automotive guys like, Bob Gaines, Speegle, S2MS, Shelby Doug and many others to keep the record straight. Thank you for that.

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: deathsled on May 11, 2024, 08:08:11 PMI have some knowledge of the GT40 but only enough to get myself in trouble with inaccurate statements.
Nothing inaccurate with your statement. Probably not one DMV in the US would have denied licensing the car. They all probably had headlight height requirements but the guy at DMV would leave the actual inspection/enforcement to the cop on the street. At a COCOA meeting a guy brought his MKII. A cop followed him into the parking lot. Of course he did a walk around and was going to write the guy for his "race car" not having a windshield wiper. Out from behind the seat the wiper came out with an explanation of how much Boeing charged for the 707(?) part and it was stored out of the sun to avoid rot.
The details are in the rule changes over the years. The MKIV started out as the "J car" because that is the spec they were building it to. After Miles was killed the final car was dubbed the MKIV just to continue the numbering scheme. The later ones should have been MKV and MKVI IMHO......
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

deathsled

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on May 11, 2024, 09:04:09 PM
Quote from: deathsled on May 11, 2024, 08:08:11 PMI have some knowledge of the GT40 but only enough to get myself in trouble with inaccurate statements.
Nothing inaccurate with your statement. Probably not one DMV in the US would have denied licensing the car. They all probably had headlight height requirements but the guy at DMV would leave the actual inspection/enforcement to the cop on the street. At a COCOA meeting a guy brought his MKII. A cop followed him into the parking lot. Of course he did a walk around and was going to write the guy for his "race car" not having a windshield wiper. Out from behind the seat the wiper came out with an explanation of how much Boeing charged for the 707(?) part and it was stored out of the sun to avoid rot.
The details are in the rule changes over the years. The MKIV started out as the "J car" because that is the spec they were building it to. After Miles was killed the final car was dubbed the MKIV just to continue the numbering scheme. The later ones should have been MKV and MKVI IMHO......
I really like the Superformance ones that have the Gulf livery.  Modeled after the 1968 1969 GT 40s.