News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Bob Tasca III with his "Ford" is the fastest on the 1/4 mile

Started by Kent, February 10, 2024, 09:39:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kent

SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

crossboss

Quote from: Kent on February 10, 2024, 09:39:23 PM
and by the way he is also faster than Mr. John Force, respect

https://youtu.be/7aAYyYvp5v0?si=YlcovVPwARbVv_0g

Well....not quite. Force's car had trouble and he had to back out of it. Oh btw, Tasca's funny car is powered by a version of the Hemi...
Robert Hight's funny car holds the record for quickest and fastest 1/4 mile (actually 1000ft).
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

deathsled

Quote from: crossboss on February 11, 2024, 12:45:51 AM
Quote from: Kent on February 10, 2024, 09:39:23 PM
and by the way he is also faster than Mr. John Force, respect

https://youtu.be/7aAYyYvp5v0?si=YlcovVPwARbVv_0g

Well....not quite. Force's car had trouble and he had to back out of it. Oh btw, Tasca's funny car is powered by a version of the Hemi...
Robert Hight holds the record for quickest and fastest 1/4 mile (actually 1000ft).
Is it a Ford built Hemi though?
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

FL SAAC

Y'all know that 341.6 MPH at 3.84 seconds is very impressive

But we think a true street car running on the track 11s 10s 9s and some below 9s is very impressive also

And love that feeling when you power your windows up, put the AC on and crank up the tunes....priceless  !

I have all UNGOLD cars

68stangcjfb

Can you imagine how fast they would be going if they let them run the last 320 ft? The Top Fuel and funny cars would probably be close to or over 350 mph by now!
68 1/2 CJ Mustang GT FB auto 3.91s 68 1/2 CJ Torino GT FB 3.91s 60 Thunderbird 64 Falcon Sprint conv. 4Spd 65 Falcon Sedan Delivery 67 Fairlane 500 SW 428 4Spd, 68 Torino 4dr 95 Thunderbird SC. 89 F250 Supercab 2wd, 98 Mustang conv. 99 Jeep Cherokee 2002 Thunderbird. 96 Harley FLSTN Heritage Special

Side-Oilers

A very good buddy of mine is high-up in NHRA. We were recently chatting about ETs and speed. He told me that NHRA doesn't want to see much more speed. The move from 1320 feet to 1000 was because of safety.  There isn't enough shut-down area in most of the tracks for any more trap speed. In fact, most tracks today are borderline not-enough.

Makes a big difference in thinking about ultimate performance when you also have to stop within a relatively short distance. How big a of a 'chute can Top Fuelers possibly pack?  That meager 1/4 mile or so of shut-down area gets eaten up in a blink of an eye with the speeds today's TF and FC racers are traveling. Try pulling the airbrake at anything near 300 mph, and I'll bet getting stopped is almost as exciting as launching and steering.

My personal opinion (nothing my NHRA friend even hinted at) is they're eventually going to have to limit trap speeds. Any further decrease in track length will just pizz people off. 

Thoughts?
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

Kent

We have a track here where I won the last 3 years in a row as it's a 1/8 mile with just 500 feet braking zone and after that there are trees and an uphill into the woods. I come in with 114-115 mph at the line of the 1/8 under full throttle and then I have to brake very hard with my 68 Mustang. The fastest cars after me there go around 100-105 mph and that's ok but they are using real drag cars with big brakes etc. and my 68 is just a fastback with cage and otherwise all original body with pretty old school suspension. So I would say the braking for me is more hairy than the start on this no prep track where I really have to start "smooth" to don't blow the tires. And yes I easily go low 9s on prep  ;D

https://youtu.be/PB-5We1dkfU?si=1S5FQiujbkfa1VfF

i don't want to think about what will happen if on these Funny Cars the parachute will fail on the short tracks, yes its a dangerous sport but there is something that says "do it" I had some moments where I thought stop now but with every failure and thing that happen you get better and better. The only thing I don't do anymore is racing against each other as there are to many factors with these hobby racers that I don't have an influence in. So I can't participate at every event but on the hairy tracks and at some races where safety is first usually the fastest group are just going for fastest times so it's ok that I want to drive alone because the best ET counts. I love it because so I can concentrate completely on what I´m doing.
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

rhjanes

I have a book about TF Dragsters and I believe it listed the G-Forces the drivers and cars experience.  Both on Launch and braking.  IIRC, they were pushing the limits on having things like detaching eye retina's due to braking G-forces at some tracks.   
Pirating!  Corporate take-over without the paperwork

FL SAAC

Quote from: Kent on February 11, 2024, 10:08:13 PM
We have a track here where I won the last 3 years in a row as it's a 1/8 mile with just 500 feet braking zone and after that there are trees and an uphill into the woods. I come in with 114-115 mph at the line of the 1/8 under full throttle and then I have to brake very hard with my 68 Mustang. The fastest cars after me there go around 100-105 mph and that's ok but they are using real drag cars with big brakes etc. and my 68 is just a fastback with cage and otherwise all original body with pretty old school suspension. So I would say the braking for me is more hairy than the start on this no prep track where I really have to start "smooth" to don't blow the tires. And yes I easily go low 9s on prep  ;D

https://youtu.be/PB-5We1dkfU?si=1S5FQiujbkfa1VfF

i don't want to think about what will happen if on these Funny Cars the parachute will fail on the short tracks, yes its a dangerous sport but there is something that says "do it" I had some moments where I thought stop now but with every failure and thing that happen you get better and better. The only thing I don't do anymore is racing against each other as there are to many factors with these hobby racers that I don't have an influence in. So I can't participate at every event but on the hairy tracks and at some races where safety is first usually the fastest group are just going for fastest times so it's ok that I want to drive alone because the best ET counts. I love it because so I can concentrate completely on what I´m doing.

Nice !

I have all UNGOLD cars

pbf777

Yes, an impressive performance; particularly at a track like Bradenton considering the overall length (I've raced there, but of course a much slower vehicle  ::)), and the fact that the drivers will be considering this in as exactly how hard they're going to push the performance envelope; particularly at a 'no points' simply show event. 

I've also known a couple of track owner/operators over the years, and made privy to the on goings deemed necessary to promote such events; and with that knowledge, and not intending to intentionally take away from these performance successes, all I can say is....................maybe.   :-\ 

Scott.

98SVT - was 06GT

Bob Tasca III with his "Ford" MONEY is the fastest on the 1/4 mile
Fixed it. There's not one Ford part on that car. If I remember Ford took 5 million (of Force's 13 million) the first year Tasca wanted to drive then pulled it all the following year. John Force has won a NHRA record 16 Funny Car championships and 155 races. No other driver comes close. That said I do think Ford should still be spending their $ at Force Racing - nobody interviews better than John Force.......

Tasca Racing is in actuality Don Schumacher Racing and Bob Tasca III is the buy a ride driver....... and we all know how CS felt about those guys.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless