News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Hipo C4 flexplate PART FOUND. THANKS!

Started by Karguy, June 25, 2018, 06:40:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karguy

WTB  A 1965/1966 289 hipo C-4 flexplate. Thanks

PART FOUND, THANKS
6S281, in my family from 1972-1983. Back home January 2017, will not leave again!

Karguy

6S281, in my family from 1972-1983. Back home January 2017, will not leave again!

69mach351w

What's the difference between a hipo C4 flexplate and a standard C4 flexplate?

Karguy

Based on previous discussions of forum members It is a difference in the way they were balanced. As I recall, it's possible to have a non-hipo flexplate rebalanced to work but if possible I would like to find a hipo specific flexplate for 281.  I would appreciate if anyone has more specific facts on this item to please share it.
Thanks, Karl

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Karguy on July 01, 2018, 11:21:02 AM
Based on previous discussions of forum members It is a difference in the way they were balanced. As I recall, it's possible to have a non-hipo flexplate rebalanced to work but if possible I would like to find a hipo specific flexplate for 281.  I would appreciate if anyone has more specific facts on this item to please share it.
Thanks, Karl
It is more then just possible .It is even pretty common. The hipo rotating assembly parts were for mass produced engines so that they could be assembled and be within a acceptable range of balance without going through the labor process of dynamically balance the assembly. If you are balancing your engine anyway some of the parts like hatchet head counter balance and special flywheel/flexplate are redundant and not necessary. The components can be balanced to compensate in the process. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

NC TRACKRAT

5S071, 6S1467

Karguy