News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

GT 350 plug wires different between 4 speed and auto?

Started by Dizzy, December 19, 2018, 05:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzy

Is there a difference between plug wires for 4 speed and automatic? Lengths should be same,but # 1 have a protective sleeve possibly for thermactor? I have a couple NOS Autolite sets that have been pirated over the years and trying to put a correct set together for GT 350 w/auto trans. All the ones I picked are dated 4Q7 for my Jan '68 car.     #1 sleeve or no sleeve? Thanks!

Coralsnake

I must admit finding original 1968  GT350 is challenging. I have not seen what you asking first hand, but I do believe the # 1 plug wire (and possibly more?) have the sleeve on them for the thermactor (4spd) cars.
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Dizzy on December 19, 2018, 05:10:35 PM
Is there a difference between plug wires for 4 speed and automatic? Lengths should be same,but # 1 have a protective sleeve possibly for thermactor? I have a couple NOS Autolite sets that have been pirated over the years and trying to put a correct set together for GT 350 w/auto trans. All the ones I picked are dated 4Q7 for my Jan '68 car.     #1 sleeve or no sleeve? Thanks!
No sleeves on a auto 68 GT350 would be my suggestion.I have seen them both ways before however I have only seen them on 4 speed applications which makes me suspect a connection. Unfortunately I have not seen a unmolested 4 speed GT350 one that I was sure the wires had not been changed. The sleeve is not typical on regular Mustang J code 4 speed or auto. Valve cover clips are different on a 68 Mustang compare to the Cobra valve covers. You could make a case for it on a 4 speed GT350 given the way it sets but not auto IMO. If I were judging and it was a 4 speed it would not be given a deduction ether way until more convincing documentation/evidence suggests otherwise. Auto I would have to have convincing evidence it was that way for that specific car.  That's just me.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

For this one I think we can look to the 68 Mustangs for a larger number of unrestored original cars and more substantial information. Believe both Shelby and non Shelby shared the was wires. Even throw some Cougars in the examples also

Will have to take a look at the photo library and report back
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

shelbydoug

Quote from: J_Speegle on December 20, 2018, 12:55:09 AM
For this one I think we can look to the 68 Mustangs for a larger number of unrestored original cars and more substantial information. Believe both Shelby and non Shelby shared the was wires. Even throw some Cougars in the examples also

Will have to take a look at the photo library and report back

Shouldn't this mean that there would be a separate part number listing for Shelby vs. GT and auto vs stick?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Dizzy

I found one picture with #1 plug wire w/sleeve. Not my car. Looks like auto trans ,no thermactor,single port vacuum advance. Still gathering info.....black plug boots?

TLea

I don't have access to my picture library right now but I believe number one plug wire gets sleeve because of heat shield 

Bob Gaines

Bob Mannels excellent Smallblock V8 book with original examples (8-48)  indicates no sleeve used on ether auto or 4 speed. The assemblyline electrical manual indicates (p38) sleeve on thermactor equipped (4 speed) only. As we have seen before there is sometimes a difference between what was engineered to happen and what sometimes gets done. Like I said previously (reply #2) I have seen them but not consistently. This seems to correspond partially with Mannels observations.  This may be a case of sometimes was used and sometimes not.  This probably wasn't a big issue so it didn't get changed if discovered just like lift hooks or heater shields etc.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

TLea

Bob Gaines

Quote from: TLea on December 20, 2018, 08:53:07 PM
My info is from original cars not books
No need to get pissy Tim. I wasn't trying to discredit you. The Mannel book in question and the examples in his book are well known for originality. I only used the example to demonstrate why there is a good possibility that not every 4 speed car would be that way. 

TLea

Not sure whats pissy about that answer Bob? I'll try to answer in a way that seems softer to you.

"Although books are a valuable resource known original examples are always the best source. The examples I'm speaking of are from known original cars"

Does that seem softer? Certainly don't want to offend anyone.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: TLea on December 21, 2018, 02:54:34 PM
Not sure whats pissy about that answer Bob? I'll try to answer in a way that seems softer to you.

"Although books are a valuable resource known original examples are always the best source. The examples I'm speaking of are from known original cars"

Does that seem softer? Certainly don't want to offend anyone.
Tim , thank you for rewording your comment it sounds less pissy or snarky that way.

TLea

Like I said certainly don't want to offend anybody  especially the sensitive

Bob Gaines

Quote from: TLea on December 21, 2018, 04:36:22 PM
Like I said certainly don't want to offend anybody  especially the sensitive
You couldn't resist.

shelbydoug

68 GT350 Lives Matter!