News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Map light stays on

Started by DP Customs, May 01, 2024, 12:23:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DP Customs

Hi - I have a '69 Shelby with a glove box/map light that won't turn off.  It has a switched ground to turn it on and off by the glove box pin switch and the mechanical switch on the light housing.  The thing is, it works perfectly when the clock dash-panel isn't fully installed (wired but pulled away from dash for testing). Once installed, the light is always on because it's being grounded by the metal construction of everything around it, screws, metal clock panel, light housing, and socket.  My assembly manual doesn't specify but I'm wondering if there should be a gasket or isolator somewhere between these parts?  Anyone else run into this problem?

Coralsnake

Im guessing you dont have it wired correctly, the clock harness is a little tricky when the map light is connected.
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

rdmgt500

Try unplugging the black wire from the slide switch to the glove box switch to see if that has any effect..........

DP Customs

Issue found: Faulty light bulb. It's a brand new LED replacement (1004 style) that's supposed to get + and - from the 2 bottom contacts, with the metal body being separate or isolated from the electronics.  In this case, the LED was made incorrectly and was getting its ground from the metal body along with one of the bottom contacts.  Since the bulb socket is grounded, that explains why the light wouldn't turn off.  Hope this helps anyone that runs into this issue.