News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

... for someone who wants to make there own “Eleanor” - NO!

Started by 67_1183, September 03, 2018, 04:38:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigfoot

RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Chris Thauberger

Being the "All time post count king" on a forum is kinda like being rich in Monopoly

Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500

427heaven

Reminds me of the story of the blind one armed paint and body guy that answers to the name of LUCKY. We don't know who is luckier the painter or the customer paying 40thousand dollars plus for a paint job. We all use different people for different reasons and this is a classic example of why we do that.

Greg

They are all good perspectives.  The materials alone to paint a car now days are out of sight.

I would like for anyone to call a few reputable shops to see what the hourly rates are and I bet you will find my numbers are pretty close.  Now keep in mind, some will say you don't need a paint job that great if you are going to drive it and just have fun.  As these cars are increasing in value you are only putting equity into it by doing it right and it will cost you up front to do so.  When some are selling their cars for $200K and you have offers for yours at $130K because its a Joe Blow body/paint job, you might question your decision.   

This a very fun hobby but I also value my time.  Even at 500hrs which would be light for this particular car IMO, would cost you $30K for body and paint.  If you have a reputable guy that does top quality work for $30/hr please share it with the group and we will cover him up..  ;D.  I have seen them as high as $100/hr and middle of the road at $60/hr.  It all depends on how correct you want to go.
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

stangman39

Quote from: Greg on September 05, 2018, 10:48:56 PM
If you have a reputable guy that does top quality work for $30/hr please share it with the group and we will cover him up..  ;D.  I have seen them as high as $100/hr and middle of the road at $60/hr.  It all depends on how correct you want to go.

The fun is finding the $30/hr guy.  Usually it takes becoming friends with the right people and the services are not offered to everyone.

427heaven

Quote from: stangman39 on September 06, 2018, 10:36:59 AM
Quote from: Greg on September 05, 2018, 10:48:56 PM
If you have a reputable guy that does top quality work for $30/hr please share it with the group and we will cover him up..  ;D.  I have seen them as high as $100/hr and middle of the road at $60/hr.  It all depends on how correct you want to go.

The fun is finding the $30/hr guy.  Usually it takes becoming friends with the right people and the services are not offered to everyone.
Agreed- And to find someone or shop that has the work ethic to do the work as promised without the smoke breaks, cell phone distractions, doughnut runs, parts runs, show up late-leave early scenarios. Don't kid yourself we have all been there, you are going to pay for these distractions. Some are just more financially able then others,the true fun is knowing you FOUND a person or shop that gives you your monies worth. Lets leave out the derogatory,negative,making personal- spin on things and move this hobby along so we can all benefit from others experiences.

pmustang

Holey Smokes,  I'm never painting mine

The next guy can :-)

I am very thankful for folks who restore these cars to 11/10ths

It preserves these works of art

J_Speegle

Quote from: deathsled on September 04, 2018, 04:23:05 PM
That car is begging to be saved...

Tempted to just take a drive to get a few more pictures and see what isn't showing in the ad
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

Quote from: J_Speegle on September 06, 2018, 11:44:19 PM
Quote from: deathsled on September 04, 2018, 04:23:05 PM
That car is begging to be saved...

Tempted to just take a drive to get a few more pictures and see what isn't showing in the ad
I hope you do. I am curious if "There's minimal rust." is by CA west coast standards or east coast standards  ;) .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

silverton_ford

Depending on how long it was in Portland, OR (registry states it sold in Portland at Ron Tonkin Auto Sales), there definitely could be "Minimal Rust".   The rain in Western Oregon is not good on cars.  I agree a personal inspection would be best before committing to this car based on the lack of detail photos in the auction.

I hope someone gets it and shares progress with us here. 

BGlover67

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

deathsled

Ebay photos and description brought to you by a millennial with minimal interest! (not even called a Shelby Mustang in the title but rather a Ford Mustang)otherwise the kid would be picking up the torch from his father and this thread would never have come into existence. Sad.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Quote from: silverton_ford on September 07, 2018, 01:14:45 AM
Depending on how long it was in Portland, OR (registry states it sold in Portland at Ron Tonkin Auto Sales), there definitely could be "Minimal Rust".   The rain in Western Oregon is not good on cars.  I agree a personal inspection would be best before committing to this car based on the lack of detail photos in the auction.

I hope someone gets it and shares progress with us here.

They still salt roads in Washington state. They are going back to salt after using urea (also nasty) as it is a natural product.

Quote from: BGlover67 on September 07, 2018, 06:08:25 AM
There's a really simple answer that I can't believe you're all missing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkdtOOYdQOs

May have to do that if you pay the asking.

Not saying the car isn't worth saving   ::)