News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Do you like the direction SAAC has been going?

Started by Bill, September 05, 2023, 02:44:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill

Seems to me that years ago, during the saacforum 1.0 days, a question from management went something like this:

Do you like the direction SAAC has been going?

What changes would you like to see happen?

What would you leave the same?

Thanks in advance for your time in responding in a civil manner.

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

Coralsnake

QuoteDedicated to the care, preservation, history, and enjoyment of the world championship cars from Shelby American, and the cars they have inspired from 1962 to today.

Forum Guide should be asked why we cant have up to date information on cars?

The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

A-Snake

Quote from: Coralsnake on September 05, 2023, 02:55:54 PM
QuoteDedicated to the care, preservation, history, and enjoyment of the world championship cars from Shelby American, and the cars they have inspired from 1962 to today.

Forum Guide should be asked why we cant have up to date information on cars?

How do you mean? Like an on-line Registry?

Coralsnake

No, I mean the censoring of questions about cars by the usually absent moderator

gt350shelb

It has a direction?

How do we preserve the accumulated history and knowledge  that the registrars have devoted their spare time to for decades?

forum 1.0 was a wealth of valid information with  input from owners and  judges  and people that  added their car to  a discussion  with proof to back up a claim  of an oddity in the production run .

A lot  of info was lost there .

The lack of thought  about  quality  over quantity . :ie the lounge post s . free for all.

If that is the 1st impression of the clubs web site  to a new owner . it is a very bad look .

Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

shelbydoug

Quote from: gt350shelb on September 05, 2023, 07:19:17 PM
It has a direction?

How do we preserve the accumulated history and knowledge  that the registrars have devoted their spare time to for decades?

forum 1.0 was a wealth of valid information with  input from owners and  judges  and people that  added their car to  a discussion  with proof to back up a claim  of an oddity in the production run .

The lack of thought  about  quality  over quantity . :ie the lounge post s . free for all.

If that is the 1st impression of the clubs web site  to a new owner . it is a very bad look .

It does seem to wander aimlessly, often with no point and maybe just therapy for some who need to post something about nothing constantly.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

crossboss

Quote from: shelbydoug on September 05, 2023, 08:23:06 PM
Quote from: gt350shelb on September 05, 2023, 07:19:17 PM
It has a direction?

It does seem to wander aimlessly, often with no point and maybe just therapy for some who need to post something about nothing constantly.

+2
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

Rodster-500

22 pages of comments on the Future of the SAAC from 2018.

https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=2344.0

Not sure how much has changed in 5 years.

Coralsnake

Interesting read and some spot on posts....remember the "it will be addressed on Monday" post?  I guess it didn't say which Monday !  :o

Hard to believe the virus has been around that long. Still confident it will be defeated and I'm not going until it is...

gt350shelb

Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

427heaven

Do we like the direction the SAAC is going in? Updates and info regarding how they were built is fantastic, where things go sideways is when the OLD GUARD says and does things like..... We always did it that way! When the O G guys myself included, dont allow new, fresh ideas... things stagnate. Most on here are old- slow- unmotivated- no longer active participants. Been to a convention lately? VERY. VERY. SAD! I have been involved with these cars for more then 45 years when conventions were totally the in thing, with hundreds of cars showing up! Now a days these old timers, Dont race, Dont build, Dont travel, Dont drive their cars anymore! Ask 95 percent of them -What valve lash you runnin, How did you set up your front end? What gears you runnin for the way you drive your car? They say I dont know... I dont even change my oil, I have people, that do that for me, including the professional detailing. If we didnt have BOB and JEFF inspecting cars there would be NO reason for 10 cars to get inspected at the Big Venues. :-[ As this group ages out it is time for the younger more motivated people to inject some fresh ideas and spark, to the sputtering SAAC. Listening then acting would be a good place to start.

Bill

Quote from: Rodster-500 on September 08, 2023, 11:50:29 PM
22 pages of comments on the Future of the SAAC from 2018.

https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=2344.0

Not sure how much has changed in 5 years.

I do thank you for linking it, I had meant to in my opening post, but forgot to do so. I originally stayed out of the last thread unless I had something to respond to, as with this thread. I guess that is the difference for some of us, if we have something to contribute, we openly do, when and where we can. As the thread you linked, and history from then till now shows, some have a wealth of on topic knowledge in which they can still impart. Some are still here with us, others have long departed the earth, while others choose to leave the forum behind.
  To coin a phrase, often used by others more commercially educated than I am, that was now, and this is then, on the other side of the universe in terms of what has transpired since then. This goes for SAAC, the saacforum, with the Shelby world in general, and this is why I purposely did not resurrect that thread, and started a new one.

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

gt350shelb

Quote from: 427heaven on September 09, 2023, 10:27:55 AM
Do we like the direction the SAAC is going in? Updates and info regarding how they were built is fantastic, where things go sideways is when the OLD GUARD says and does things like..... We always did it that way! When the O G guys myself included, dont allow new, fresh ideas... things stagnate. Most on here are old- slow- unmotivated- no longer active participants. Been to a convention lately? VERY. VERY. SAD! I have been involved with these cars for more then 45 years when conventions were totally the in thing, with hundreds of cars showing up! Now a days these old timers, Dont race, Dont build, Dont travel, Dont drive their cars anymore! Ask 95 percent of them -What valve lash you runnin, How did you set up your front end? What gears you runnin for the way you drive your car? They say I dont know... I dont even change my oil, I have people, that do that for me, including the professional detailing. If we didnt have BOB and JEFF inspecting cars there would be NO reason for 10 cars to get inspected at the Big Venues. :-[ As this group ages out it is time for the younger more motivated people to inject some fresh ideas and spark, to the sputtering SAAC. Listening then acting would be a good place to start.

well put ,

As one of the Younger   only been in the club since the 80s .  There  have been  multiple times  when an idea was pitched and was immediately shot down   by the management.

" oh  we thought about that 20 years ago and it wouldn't work" . 

despite  the world changing  and the internet making the whole world smaller .

The loss of ford motor company sponsor ship / involvement  to ....Team shelby .

Inability to attract and provide value  to other sponsors .

unwillingness to  moderate the forum to promote the brand and not just attract graffiti artists .

Hands off approach  does not work . when your job is to steer the ship.

Alienating the people who have supported you as/ a club / 501c /or business / is a bad plan. (or  maybe it is the plan).

100 % the reason shelby remained relevant was due to saac / team shelby and vegas shelby american would never have happened .

Carroll S saw the way to make money and took off and ran with it , good for them .

gt350shelb

Royce Peterson

unwillingness to  moderate the forum to promote the brand and not just attract graffiti artists .

This.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock