News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1970 Shelby with both Door Tags

Started by CompRed70scj, February 29, 2024, 07:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CompRed70scj

Hey all, I have a 1970 GT 500, pretty original car. Trying to revive it from a slumber after buying it out of an estate. One of the first things I noticed was the car has 69 metal and the 1970 paper door tag. Has anyone come across a similar situation? The car was converted to a '70 at Kar Kraft.

Also - not sure why my photos are sideways. Tips appreciated on how to correct that!

Coralsnake

They should have removed the 1969 warranty tag, looks like an oversight
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Coralsnake on February 29, 2024, 08:03:50 PM
They should have removed the 1969 warranty tag, looks like an oversight
+1 . Seldom seen oversight.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

427hunter

"You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"

Inigo Montoya

"This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid"

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

shelbymann1970

nice find. I assume competition red? 3.91  4 speed. black interior. June 18th scheduled build. 9F02R483095
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

CompRed70scj

That's right. It still wears some of its original paint, though with a fair amount of blending in.

I also found this in the trunk, passenger side where the drop offs are. Would this have been on the dash before being removed and replaced with the Shelby GT 500?

Special Ed

Interesting kool car find so now i wonder if aosmith peeled off dash mach1 decal and added shelby gt500 decal as that would have been easy instead of removing rh dash the replace the chrome  mach 1 plaque with a shelby plaque?  Or did the mach1 plaque get forgotton to remove then replaced at KK plant if an inspector seen the mistake or maybe the dealer corrected it.  My coral scj 4 speed vert was also sold at same FL  luke bolton ford dealer a kool pair of shelbys sold at same dealer and both 70  KK  late big suspension cars. Red 70 scj what part of the usa is shelby in now would make a kool photo?

CompRed70scj

Quote from: Special Ed on March 01, 2024, 10:59:13 AM
Interesting kool car find so now i wonder if aosmith peeled off dash mach1 decal and added shelby gt500 decal as that would have been easy instead of removing rh dash the replace the chrome  mach 1 plaque with a shelby plaque?  Or did the mach1 plaque get forgotton to remove then replaced at KK plant if an inspector seen the mistake or maybe the dealer corrected it.  My coral scj 4 speed vert was also sold at same FL  luke bolton ford dealer a kool pair of shelbys sold at same dealer and both 70  KK  late big suspension cars. Red 70 scj what part of the usa is shelby in now would make a kool photo?

I'm in Charlotte, NC. That would be great! I'm building a new garage so I'll have a better space to work on it. In the meantime the car's waiting patiently at a friend's. I need to get on it because all my NOS and good original parts seem to be ending up on Roger Park's 1969 Boss 429! (Kidding!)

shelbymann1970

VERY cool car! Have you seen the sister 500 mile car to yours( drag pack4 speed  but white interior)?
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

Special Ed

Yep that car and another with black interior same combo came from same NJ area recently restored by bob wilson so thats 3 70 coral dragpacks  4 speed shelby fastbacks that exist good looking kool cars.

CompRed70scj

Quote from: Special Ed on March 01, 2024, 12:09:50 PM
Yep that car and another with black interior same combo came from same NJ area recently restored by bob wilson so thats 3 70 coral dragpacks  4 speed shelby fastbacks that exist good looking kool cars.

And Kenny Falk in Amarillo TX owns a comp red, 70 SCJ 4 speed as well, #3177. Twin to mine and Michael Stearn's car. Bob Wilson did Michael's, which was a really low-mileage example. Our cars were built the same day so we've compared notes between the cars.

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Special Ed on March 01, 2024, 12:09:50 PM
Did you read the Marti report on the 500 mile original car? Says 98 with 428SCJ drag pack for the 1970 Shelby FB. Is that correct? Here are pics of the Bob Wilson restored car you just mentioned Ed.  Last pic is the Marti from the 500 mile all original car #2686.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

Special Ed

Compred  falks car ken bramlets old car is 1707 and i went to kansas back 35 years ago or so to buy that car but couldnt document if it was an original big suspension f-60-15 car as this was before shelby paperwork was found back in mid 90s so i told ken about it and he bought it and did a driver resto then sold it to build  a new house and we tracked down the old owner in IL and he had a boss 429 also he was driving at that time.  My car is 2655 and it was found in NC also in an old cotton gin barn just north east of charlotte also.

Special Ed

Gary there probly is less than 10 known 70 coral scj 4 speed fastbacks that survived. I keep track of the scj verts and there is 1 coral 69 scj vert and its a 4 speed in the LA shelby muesum and 2 70 coral scj 4 speeds verts mine with white interior and falks with black and only 1 coral automatic and its a 70 also just bought from OO at KC mecum and mason jones bought it so 4 total coral scj verts were made and all of them still exist. It is no surprize to me that most of 43  69-70 gt500 drag pack verts still exist and i got records of all of them in order 24 - 4-speeds and 19 - auto total and the reason i think most still exist is they were expensive rare unique cars so even if wrecked they were fixed and not sent to the crusher. Just look at how many cuda and challenger hemi or 6 packs verts still exist most of them because they were expensive rare cars that got fixed not crushed.

Coralsnake

Who knew? Ed was interested in drag pak convertibles? 😃
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com