News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Jigs used to paint fiberglass exterior parts

Started by Bossbill, May 08, 2018, 12:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Coralsnake on May 08, 2018, 08:51:12 PM

Looks like at least a few, noses were fitted to cars and then painted
What makes you think they were painted that way?
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Coralsnake

They may have been removed and painted, but the photo says they were fitted first and then painted
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

J_Speegle

Quote from: Coralsnake on May 08, 2018, 10:15:07 PM
They may have been removed and painted, but the photo says they were fitted first and then painted

Well at least on that car ;)

Sure looks like allot of addition effort if done on all cars for some unknown reason that couldn't wait until it was painted 

Maybe something else will present itself to provide some additional insight
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

67_1183

Quote from: J_Speegle on May 08, 2018, 10:50:31 PM

Well at least on that car ;)

Sure looks like allot of addition effort if done on all cars for some unknown reason that couldn't wait until it was painted 

Maybe something else will present itself to provide some additional insight

The second car in the pic also, not just first one.  The lead car is #231.
2nd owner of 67 GT500 #1183 since September 1976

J_Speegle

Quote from: 67_1183 on May 08, 2018, 10:57:08 PM
The second car in the pic also, not just first one.  The lead car is #231.

Good catch and thanks - didn't notice the passenger headlight eyebrow.

Interesting that this is in the early part of the production year. Wonder if that has an impact on why they were installed
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

JD

It's no secret that the early fiberglass on the '67's was poor quality and fitment. 

A number of the early cars have yellow grease crayon on the back of the scoops, and tail end fiberglass with the car number, most I've seen or seen photos of were double-digit cars, and some owners have stated that their car had a part with the number from another car, usually one of the same color.  It does seem as though fiberglass parts were fitted and adjusted to a car, marked and then painted and then final installation. 

How long that lasted - ???  But that kind of stuff is probably why guys like Fred Goodell were brought in and revised (better) parts, methods of installation and suppliers implemented to see that all the extra production costs' came to an end.

Anthony (Road Reptile) has thought that early cars fiberglass parts were painted in small groups of the same color in the paint booth on saw horses (or something like that) - flat to answer the OP question.  Not sure how long into the production run that may have lasted.  As Bob and Jeff stated only the hoods and deck lids of the metal framed hoods and deck lids got body color on top and underside.  The all fiberglass only on the top with over-spray showing to varying degrees on the undersides.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

67_1183

Quote from: J_Speegle on May 08, 2018, 11:09:28 PM
Interesting that this is in the early part of the production year. Wonder if that has an impact on why they were installed

It seems the two piece fronts were tried after these, based on VINs.  Ongoing issues?

http://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1552.15

Bob Gaines

I am in agreement that is why I stated as much in reply # 9 "I can only imagine that the nose might have been on the cars in the picture to test for pre fit."
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

67_1183

Looking closer at the pic shows that the 1st, 2nd, 4th and 5th cars also have the (unpainted) nose piece installed.  The second car has door stripes installed, none of the rest do.

Btw, the pic was also on the cover of a Shelby American.  I do not remember which one.

Bossbill

I think an interesting aside here is that the flanges are pure black with no hint of green tint or fiberglass strands. After reading the two-part nose thread it appears that it's possible the side edges are made separately and then incorporated into the mold.
After trying my hand at fiberglass molding it's certainly one way to address flanges without intricate multi-part molds.

Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx

shelbydoug

What happened is what happened back then BUT it seems that IF the cars were assembled anywhere near in Shelby # sequence, by 221, something should have been ironed out.

Is 221 actually job #1? They tended to hide those cars down in production like #100 being the first 500?

I'm almost suspecting that this picture is of the first 67's to "go down the line" and they discovered that there is just this "one little problem with the nose", i.e., "they don't fit right"?  :o

I don't see where they were going to assemble these cars TWICE or fit the nose, then send it to the body shop, then wait for it to come back to install it? That makes no sense to me but heck, I'm bats nutz anyways?  ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

67350#1242

Dosn't make sense to install headlights into the nosepiece if they were going to remove it again for paint?

These are metal framed hoods - second car shows underside painted.
67 GT350  SJ 02/01/67  Gray 4spd A/C
67 Coupe  SJ 11/16/66  White Auto A/C PDB

Bossbill

Pre-production line where they really figure out how to produce more than the one or two and see how everything really fits?
Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx

JD

Quote from: 67350#1242 on May 09, 2018, 01:49:28 PM
Dosn't make sense to install headlights into the nosepiece if they were going to remove it again for paint?

The headlights can be installed and the nose added or removed.  The headlights and mounting brackets do not attach to the nose.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

JD

Quote from: shelbydoug on May 09, 2018, 01:28:38 PM
What happened is what happened back then BUT it seems that IF the cars were assembled anywhere near in Shelby # sequence, by 221, something should have been ironed out.

Is 221 actually job #1? They tended to hide those cars down in production like #100 being the first 500?

I'm almost suspecting that this picture is of the first 67's to "go down the line" and they discovered that there is just this "one little problem with the nose", i.e., "they don't fit right"?

Yes, it seems there were a number of theory vs reality issues.  Also, the cars in the photo were in the 200 Shelby VIN's so not the first cars.  And yes they were not completed in strict numerical order.