News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

68 GT350 Carburetor Plumbing

Started by Corey Bowcutt, March 19, 2020, 09:15:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corey Bowcutt

Soon I will be replacing the carburetor on my 1968 GT350 4 speed with an original carb.  Does anyone have any photos showing the correct plumbing for the original carb?  I can plumb things just like the carb that is in there now but I want to make sure it is correct.

Thank you, Corey

shelbydoug

You need to speak to the Coralsnake and specify Holley or Ford carb and for that matter, production line Ford or Holley or recall Holley.

I believe the Ford carb routing is considerably different then the Holley is.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Corey Bowcutt

I actually bought the Carb from Pete.  It is the Holley carb I should have mentioned that.  I am looking for photos that clearly show how things are plumbed.

Corey

CharlesTurner

Do you mean how does the fuel line route and vacuum hoses?  There isn't much more than that other than the choke tubes.

It's pretty much self-explanatory.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Coralsnake

I think he is looking for pictures of the choke tubes on the Holley version
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

Coralsnake

Coralsnake

Pictures provided by the great TLEA

shelbydoug

Quote from: CharlesTurner on March 19, 2020, 10:15:28 AM
Do you mean how does the fuel line route and vacuum hoses?  There isn't much more than that other than the choke tubes.

It's pretty much self-explanatory.

Oye-yei-yei! There he goes again! If it was self explanitory the carburetor could explain it itself? WTF? It's gotta' be me? Definitely me!  :o
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Corey Bowcutt

Thank you Pete this is a good start.  Now I see 4 connections.  I can see where the large one goes to the PCV valve.  Can not see where the other three go to?

CharlesTurner

Quote from: shelbydoug on March 19, 2020, 01:48:42 PM
Oye-yei-yei! There he goes again! If it was self explanitory the carburetor could explain it itself? WTF? It's gotta' be me? Definitely me!  :o

Just thought with pre-bent lines, there wouldn't be much variance in how things get routed. 
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

TLea

Quote from: Corey Bowcutt on March 19, 2020, 02:36:16 PM
Thank you Pete this is a good start.  Now I see 4 connections.  I can see where the large one goes to the PCV valve.  Can not see where the other three go to?
I thought you just needed choke tubes. I'll forward Pete other hose pics as well

Corey Bowcutt

The 4 hoses in Pete's pictures are exactly what I need.  The problem is I do not know where the other end of those hoses are going?  My car is obviously not correct right now because I believe they just have two of the hoses short circuited to one another (the hose with the white shield and the black hose going to the metal tube).  So I have no idea where the white hose and black hose going to the metal tube are supposed to go?  The third black hose I am guessing goes to the vacuum advance but not certain of that either?  The only hose I can see both ends out of the 4 hoses shown is the one to the PCV.

Coralsnake

There is no "white" hose. That is the insulation over the steel line. Those two steel lines from the carburetor go into the exhaust manifold. There is a press fit into the manifold.

The vacuum hose with the yellow stripe from the side of the carburetor goes to the vacuum tree on the thermostat housing.

TLea

Hoses from rear block go to,
Tilt= larger hose w' green/white stripe
Vacuum tree and tee to distributor retard side=red stripe
smog cannister=black hose
I know you have a 4 speed so that's what I listed, auto different

Corey Bowcutt

Pete and Tim thank you so much for the help.  I am getting there but still have some questions. 

First I have headers so that explains why the PO just short circuited the two lines that run to the exhaust manifold.  I am sure mine is not the only 68 with headers is this what others have done, meaning just short circuiting these two ports?  Secondly I was thinking I could wrap the steel tubing around one of the header tubes and rout it to these two ports.  Is this hot air necessary for proper functioning of choke?

Second, Pete you said "The vacuum hose with the yellow stripe from the side of the carburetor goes to the vacuum tree on the thermostat housing" I am not familiar with a vacuum tree on the thermostat housing?  I show a picture below of my thermostat housing and there is no vacuum tree.  Should there be? I have a vacuum tree (shown in pictures) toward the back of the motor behind the carburetor.  Would I rout this hose to this tree?  You can see in the picture of my new original carb I do not have a fitting currently for this hose.  What happens if I do not have a hose connected here?

Tim, I am a bit confused about your directions.  You said "Vacuum tree and tee to distributor retard side=red stripe".  Are you saying that a vacuum line from my tree shown in pictures below run to the vacuum advance in the distributor?

I am assuming Tim all the hoses you describe are coming from the vacuum tree in the rear of the block I have pictured below is that correct?