News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Arning drop on a 66

Started by sg66, September 09, 2020, 10:18:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sg66

I have the front suspension off a 66 and the PO did the 1" drop back in the 60's or early 70's. The holes in the shock towers are 1" below the factory holes where they should be but are not 1/8" back as shown on 65/66 templates.

How much does this matter?

If the shaft is rotated 1 complete turn, that relocates the arm a little more than 1/8" and although close to bottoming out against the bushing everything still moves freely. A-arm spacing at shaft is 7 7/16" as it should be.

Any thoughts about relocating the A-arm by rotating the shaft 1/2 or a full turn or just leave things as they are?

Trying to avoid welding up holes and re-drilling for 1/8"

Thanks

shelbydoug

The original modification was revised in '67. The revised change was to drop it straight down.

I think the oringinal 1/8" back was to modify the squat of the car at full suspension travel.

The 1" is not the ultimate drop for the Mustang. 1-1/2" is.

1" was a compromise since going further would bind up the ball join unless a wedge spacer was put between the ball joint and the arm. Ford wouldn't approve that because of warranty reasons.

The '65 GT350's had a Ford warranty on them.

I would recommend to leave it alone as is unless you wanted to go to the  1-1/2"? That I'd recommend if anything.

You have the correct spring set up for the car although the Factory Boss 302 T/A car used the 680 pound spring.

That's my setup. 680. 1-1/2" drop. Wedge spacer. 1-1/8" front anti-sway bar. But with this you need to balance the car with the rear. That's fairly easy to do though. Add one long top spring. Eliminate the clamps. Ditch the rear Konis and use a Comfort Ride rear shock. Very simple to make the car go over 1 g in handling.

I think the number as tested was 1.1g. It's a while ago so I think that's what I remember the number to be? That was with these BFG T/A's too. 235-60-15 front. 295-50-15 rear. All on 10 spokes.

No rear anti-sway bar.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

sg66

Quote from: shelbydoug on September 09, 2020, 10:45:23 PM
I would recommend to leave it alone as is unless you wanted to go to the  1-1/2"

Thanks, I pulled a bearing off the shaft today and there is only 1/4" of smooth surface on each bearing for the shaft to contact so changing that to 1/8" and 3/8" by moving the shaft would not be wise IMO therefore I'll leave it alone