News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Help Identifying a Weber Intake for a Pantera...

Started by JD, September 10, 2018, 11:45:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FL SAAC

Dont know about the intake,  but that's one heck of a car !
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

shelbydoug

Quote from: JD on September 10, 2018, 11:45:14 PM
Can some of you help Identifying the source of this Weber intake for a Pantera?

The guy that bought my dad's '72 Pantera is trying to find out who made these. 

(He also needs some help with tuning the carbs (48 IDA's) but that's another topic.)

He sent me a photo I couldn't find of how the rear deck lid and top grille was modified.

Upload folder is full can't add images.

Intake has DETOMASO PANTERA cast in the top and "507 01 007 - 1" cast into it too.

"Cobra Jeff" you out there?

(Lost my license in this car, dad was in the passenger seat)

Who made them? What you have is the original version from Detomaso.

It is now "said" that Ford had them made for Detomaso by Holman-Moody. To my knowledge that has never been confirmed. Many of the actual joint Ford/Detomaso joint venture details are difficult to document.

They were sold "over the counter" by Detomaso in Italy.

The Hall Pantera manifold is essentially a "reinforced" version of the Detomaso offering. The original is much thinner on the mounting flanges and has the "reputation" of being fragile. Hall's is thicker in every dimension.

The original also seems to be pressure cast and has dimples in it at regular intervals in the casting. As a result, someone made a decision to paint them black wrinkle like the COBRA valve covers and 2x4 air cleaner tops.

I have had two of Halls. One for the 4v iron heads and my current one for the "high port" Ford Motorsport aluminum A3 heads.

Currently that one is still available from Hall, while the supply lasts, for $950.

The Detomaso version is another animal all together. No one can actually put a number on how many were made but likely the number isn't high. 100 is probably a good number considering that would be a minimum order for someone like Edelbrock to run.

Value is speculative because of the rarity of the thing. In the last ten years or so I've only see three for sale. Prices run from serious to ludicrous. Try $15,000, asking prices.

One of the things to consider here also is that when you run Webers on a Pantera the center cast in tower is absolutely a requirement to make the entire linkage work.

When you put it on another car like I did on my 68 GT350 in 1978, that tower is in the way and needs to be removed.

I didn't and just went to a side mounted linkage that Jim Inglese supplied. John Barnes however went a different route. He had the tower removed and a SHELBY plaque welded in place.

So there you go. Anything else you need to know about them? Don't hesitate. I like to share but unlike my wife, I keep the unpleasant's to myself...generally speaking...unless seriously provoked!

IF that's the car that I drove, at the time it was owned by Ken Eber. He said he had just bought it from Lynn Parks brother (or maybe son?). 1982ish. It had Scheel seats in it and thought to have an "Australian/NASCAR" block.

It was just a bit quick. Ken got pissed at me at 110mph in third getting on 684 and made me pull it over and get out. Fortunately he didn't make me walk back home. Could have bought it for $15,000 that day. I wouldn't be surprized if it is the same car.

Here's the letter from Detomaso to me.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

shelbydoug

Quote from: 1968GT500CS on July 14, 2023, 08:56:52 AM
Jd,

Do you have more pictures of Hall-Pantera Weber intake setups?

Thank you

I have a picture of the entire set up (Hall manifold) from the top with the deck lid off and shows all those details. WHEN I find it, I will post it but essentially the two manifolds are the same set up.

Everything that fits on one fits on the other. The difference is the thickness of the mounting flanges and the logos.

Little things I have found needing changes are hardware things. For instance the studs did not work for me. I changed those out to allen socket screws/bolts. Believe or not but there is not enough room over the top of the carbs to pick the carbs up over the studs! Sounds ridiculous I know but trust me or not...it IS VERY tight in there.

It looks like there are gobs of space but you can't get your hands in between the rows of carbs to tighten bolts.

Oh! If you are worried about being able to read the logos on either manifold when everything is installed..."forgetabout dit!" You won't see a thing.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Side-Oilers

Doug, if that was Lynn's car, it was probably his brother Eddie's...as Lynn's kids would've been toddlers.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

shelbydoug

Quote from: Side-Oilers on July 14, 2023, 01:42:41 PM
Doug, if that was Lynn's car, it was probably his brother Eddie's...as Lynn's kids would've been toddlers.

Well why not? I was a toddler then too?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: BGlover67 on September 11, 2018, 04:43:01 AM
Looks really sharp in 'Fly Yellow'.
C'mon every hot rod guy in the world knows that's "Moon Yellow". Dean loved the color so much his house was also yellow and he even had a restored early 1900s popcorn machine in his living room that was yellow. He'd pop corn for his guests in movie night. Even the first Cobra CS assembled (at Moon's) was yellow at one point.

https://www.mooneyesusa.com/Default.asp
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

shelbydoug

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Side-Oilers

^^ Those are some big-azz header pipes!  A work of art. 
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

shelbydoug

2" primaries. As it turns out they were made by by "buddy" Stan at FPP for Hall.

They definitely sing kind of like the mad organist in "Phantom of the Opera" plays it.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!