News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Clutch Pedel over extends- why?

Started by cboss70, April 05, 2024, 08:31:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cboss70

On the clutch pedal support there is a bracket that bolts on and extends over the side to hook the pedal spring to. Mine was bolted on wrong so I put it back to the stock look and put on a new spring. I also put new z-bar bushings in etc.  When I push the clutch pedal all the way down it almost seems like its hyperextending the spring and is pulling the pedal towards the firewall- like it doesn't want to pop back up. I just ordered a repro z-bar from VA mustang because I figured maybe my original z-bar was bent and allowing the pedal to go too far.  Any idea's why the pedal is going so far? On my other mustang the pedal doesn't go all the way to the floor and doesn't feel like it's getting hyper extended.  I don't want to risk having my pedal get stuck at the floor and figured I'd get some ideas here as I wait for the new z-bar. Maybe the new z-bar will fix it?

If it matters as part of the puzzle, it has a new clutch in the car and the adjustor from the z-bar to the clutch fork is extended out pretty far to hold itself into the clutch fork depression. (FYI- when I say hyperextends the pedal another way to explain it is if you ever have a clutch pedal assembly OUT of a car and push the clutch pedal down you can push the pedal to a point where the rotation is at a point where the spring is pulling it back versus forward as intended.)

Lincoln tech

Does the clutch work at all ??? Wrong parts installed ( pressure plate? )

cboss70

Clutch releases fine, feels like my other mustang. The pedal going all the way down to the floor and feeling like it may not come back up because of how far back the pedal goes is different than my other car- scary. Doesn't seem like I can extend out the rod that goes from the lower bar lever to the clutch fork much more or I'd see if that limited the pedal travel.

JD

Is this a new diaphragm type clutch - not the 3-finger (original) type?

Seems there was a thread (I looked but didn't find it) regarding the issue you are describing when installing a diaphragm type, hopefully others will comment or find the thread(s)...

found this MIGHT be relevant;
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1023.msg8298#msg8298
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Lincoln tech

Almost sounds like pressure plate and or throwout bearing problem , height of fingers on pressure plate , lengh of throwout bearing assy. I can almost visualize diaphram style cousing something like this.How much free play in the clutch pedal do you have? ( important item )

greekz

Is the pedal stop adjusted properly and did you inspect the support bracket bushings for wear?
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

cboss70

I looked again over the week while I await my new repro Z-Bar from VA Mustang. Based on the comments, I do see a stop so the pedal doesn't come up beyond a certain point but don't remember a stop being on the assembly to keep it from going down too far? The functionality of the clutch itself seemed fine just the pedal overextending the main return spring was the issue. The sleeves the pedal shafts go through are fine no extra play. The clutch in there was a kit that included the throw-out bearing and it's a new Zoom one and a diaphragm type.  I'll post an update when I get the new z-bar in - in a way I'm hoping mine was bent and this will solve it  :'(

greekz

Quote from: cboss70 on April 08, 2024, 02:22:08 PMI looked again over the week while I await my new repro Z-Bar from VA Mustang. Based on the comments, I do see a stop so the pedal doesn't come up beyond a certain point but don't remember a stop being on the assembly to keep it from going down too far? The functionality of the clutch itself seemed fine just the pedal overextending the main return spring was the issue. The sleeves the pedal shafts go through are fine no extra play. The clutch in there was a kit that included the throw-out bearing and it's a new Zoom one and a diaphragm type.  I'll post an update when I get the new z-bar in - in a way I'm hoping mine was bent and this will solve it  :'(

I guess I was a bit confused about the "overextending".  My pedal goes to the floor and returns just a little higher than the brake pedal.  I thought your overextending was the pedal returning too high.
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339