News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Opinions of this antenna: Part 2

Started by aj, July 30, 2023, 02:29:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Gaines

Meant in a friendly respectful way I agree to disagree. I have been around 69 /70 Shelby's since 1969 when my sister and her husband bought one when new. I have owned many and been around hundreds since then. I have seen numerous starting back in the day straight up. That was before people changed them . They came tilted and straight up because the dealer installed them .  I have seen them that way on fastback and convertible. It is hard to install them straight up like many were at 13 3/4 so that suggests at the very least that there were varying lengths. That is why I disagree with your absolute that there was only one length like you contend. You of course are welcome to your opinion and I to mine but I for one am skeptical based on my observations over the years.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

TLea

I have 5 here. 3 are real and 2 repops. 2 of the originals and 2 of the repops measure 13 3/4". This would hold true to Ed's claim that Joel is copying the repos off originals. The other original I have measures 15 1/4. Its real but I suspect earlier Pontiac version

Special Ed

I think over the years guys have shortened the long  pontiac tube and didnt have an original shelby antenna to copy the correct length so they cut them to fit the car. The 13 3/4'' antenna is a tight fit and usually hits the trunk mat or lh fillerboard but thats why there is a bottom wrap around bracket and flat strap with holes in to adjust antenna angle to fit the car and i have seen that strap installed several different ways depending on how the dealer did it and where he drilled the top quarterpanel hole . Years ago i found an original 69 shelby  antenna template sheet that u lay ontop of quarterpanel to drill hole but havent seen it in years its here SOMEWHERE!!!!

Bob Gaines

I have had the dramatically longer ones before I don't remember the length but 15 inch something sounds about right. I just remember it was too long IMO to use without cutting off because of the resulting extreme tilt and how it would look inside the trunk. Another example of varying length as I mentioned before. I can't imagine that antenna without the loop bracket around the base with steel strap connected to the wheel house to stabilize the bottom other wise the leverage on the top side would make it too easy to move. Ed I can vouch for you having the template. I can remember you showing it to me and us talking about given the template how many variation of hole location one sees if looking down a long lined up row of 69/70 Shelby rear quarters. If I can find the picture I most likely took of it I will post if I have your permission. That is if I can find it in my unsorted un labeled picture file. :o
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

69 GT350 Vert

The hole for my antenna was drilled too far forward on my early car #100.  The pm300 shaft contacts the wheel housing, and I have a forward tilt to the antenna on the top side.  I bought one of the eBay non functional ones and use a dipole antenna under the dash pad, which works well.