News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

428 Cobra Jet heat shield pan under intake

Started by Bob Gaines, May 09, 2024, 08:58:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Gaines

I am trying to get a take on how important the metal pan is under the CJ cast iron intake.I have a chance to buy a cast iron CJ intake at a reasonable price unfortunately it is missing the sheet metal heat shield pan. I understand the pan is Cobra jet intake unique so I can't substitute one from a 390.What say you?
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

pbf777

As you obviously realize, without the shield, well, it's just not going to be "correct"; but of coarse once installed who would know?  ::) 
    The actual purpose of this shield is to reduce the sum of splashed oil that might come in contact with the exhaust heat cross-over passage section of the casting located on the bottom; this intended to reduce the sum of that oil which might be "damaged" by the excessive heat exposure and even worse will tend to "coke", even becoming a solid contaminant suspended in the oil.  ;) 

So, if ones' vehicle is just driven off trailer to the display parking spot, or just never allowed to get hot (for fear of burning the engine or manifold paint  :-[ ), or even just never run hard producing elevated exhaust temperatures, or best, the intake manifolds' cross-over passage is blocked (reduces the burnt paint on the top of the intake issue, or is done to reduce the tendency for fueling vapor-lock  8)) it probably really isn't a necessary component (that is as long as you don't tell anyone its' missing!  ::) ).

Scott.

Bob Gaines

I suppose I will just fabricate a makeshift shield or block off the cross over. Thanks.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby