News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Reunited With Original Spare 10-Spoke Wheel!

Started by s2ms, September 10, 2018, 03:37:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

s2ms

Jim Baker, the previous owner of 6S1757 who raced it in the 70's dropped by for a visit yesterday. Jim currently lives in Anchorage and was in town for his high school reunion and visiting some friends, drove his rare option 2011 Performance Package V6 Mustang down the Cassiar Highway from Anchorage to Seattle.

In addition to a fantastic visit full of great car stories, Jim did something I'm totally blown away by...he has had the original 10-spoke spare wheel all these years and gave it to me to be with the car! Wow, what else can I can say!?

Jim said all 5 wheels were black like this with polished fins when he bought it in 1972. The tire has a 1967 date code.

Dave - 6S1757

deathsled

I love reading stories like this. Thank you for sharing.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

NC TRACKRAT

Way cool, Dave!  That was truly "magnanimous" of him.
5S071, 6S1467

Bob Gaines

Cool story. There is evidence to support at least some 66's coming with the tenspokes that were painted black with the top edges machined at Shelby American. I always thought it was a very early anomaly.  Interestingly when CS commissioned the continuation 66 converts in the early 80's his wheel company provided ten spokes with the same black and aluminum contrast.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

My car (6S1431) has a similar Goodyear "Redline" as a spare, I always suspected it was a replacement tire . I believe it was D-70/14 if I remember correctly. Tossed it in the trash as it was in really bad shape and wouldn't hold air
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

GT500KRust

I like the black detail. Adds some more contrast & impact to the wheel. Time to hunt for photos of cars with wheels like that :)

shelbydoug

I blacked out my highlights also. It has an interesting effect. Great story incidentally. Nice to get a present like that.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

6s1640

Hi Dave,

I can't remember, but do all five original ten spokes match in style?  What are your plans for the tire and wheel; leave as it; clean up and paint; put a new Blue Streak on; dismount the tire and make a hose real; hang it on the wall in your bed room?

Good deal

Cory

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: Bob Gaines on September 10, 2018, 03:58:11 PMInterestingly when CS commissioned the continuation 66 converts in the early 80's his wheel company provided ten spokes with the same black and aluminum contrast.
In the mid to late 80s CS gave me a set of blemished 10 spokes for 843. They were painted black and machined.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

GT350Lad

Awesome story, love it. I have heard also that some of the 10 spokes had Black centre caps also? A variation?
I think we discussed it on forum 1.0
Cheers
6S373
6S1276

s2ms

Quote from: 6s1640 on September 10, 2018, 08:25:03 PM
Hi Dave,

I can't remember, but do all five original ten spokes match in style?  What are your plans for the tire and wheel; leave as it; clean up and paint; put a new Blue Streak on; dismount the tire and make a hose real; hang it on the wall in your bed room?

Good deal

Cory

Hi Cory,

Yes, all wheels match. Funny, one of the first things I thought was "what do I do with it?" Considering all the options you mentioned, bedroom wall has already been vetoed...

Dave

Dave - 6S1757

texas swede

Congratulations Dave,
This is what friends do to friends and what this club and forum are all about.
P.S. I saw a former owner of your car on Huckabee, Gary Lewis.
Texas Swede

gt350cs

Another great story and example of generosity we hear about so often in these forums!

deathsled

Lol! Views at 289 as I write this. Now I just ruined it...
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

GT350Lad

Quote from: deathsled on September 11, 2018, 07:18:54 PM
Lol! Views at 289 as I write this. Now I just ruined it...

289 gotta love that number  8)
6S373
6S1276