News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

The Mustang is coming to an end

Started by 427heaven, April 24, 2021, 05:10:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

427heaven

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on April 25, 2021, 01:21:49 PM
Quote from: 427heaven on April 25, 2021, 09:39:45 AM
Its my belief they understand the Mustang was created for excitement, it was not intended to be just another vehicle created for a soccer mom running the kids to practice, another vehicle that if you took the badges off you wouldnt know what it is. Look at the weird designs that have been, and will be failures, the EDGE-NEW BRONCO- NEW MUSTANG-FOCUS they all have negative feedback. Time for some excitement and new designers, not the same old S--T boxes of yesteryear.
Originally Mustang was created for only one reason - to sell cars. That was and is Ford's ONLY goal. There was zero excitement involved. It was intended to be a cheap cute youthful car for secretaries who didn't want to drive a stodgy old Falcon. They found when they stepped up the performance that men wanted it too. The current board at Ford has gone full green new deal and is blurring the lines of what their historical names represented and what they will become. They learned from the pure and simple fact that SVT Mustangs didn't sell well. When they stuck the Cobra name on it they sold a little better. Finally they hired Shelby to front for a car he had zero input in the development and Mustang sales were reborn. It was the history of the name that drove sales not the car itself. The Mustang is still such a hot seller they are hoping some of it's magic will rub off on what is nothing more than a stodgy utilitarian grocery getter. I'm waiting for the Stroppe Bronco - if it has 2 doors and a V8 I'm in.
All cars are created with one goal in mind... To be sold! There was a massive amount of excitement surrounding its introduction and all of America got the memo! ;) It was for the younger crowd with a flair to newer design not the hard working poor laborers driving Falcons. my family was on both sides of that fence. There were GT,S K codes 4 speeds and not a secretary in sight.

98SVT - was 06GT

Take a look at the ad push. Probably 80% of the ad budget was aimed at the female buyer.

https://www.lamag.com/driver/lady-driver-how-the-mustang-shifted-gears-toward-women/

Before it was a brand or a lifestyle or a club (with jackets), Mustang was one of the first cars to challenge a male-dominated auto market and reach out to female consumers.

"Life was just one diaper after another until Sarah got her new Mustang," reads one advertisement from 1965. Another boasts how Mustang means big excitement, but with big enough trunk space for all a sweetheart's groceries.

Ford even reached out to single ladies, who hadn't previously been considered potential car buyers, lacking access to a husband's bank account. Playing on the bestselling, head-turning Sex and the Single Girl (written by Cosmopolitan's longtime editor-in-chief Helen Gurley Brown), one ad reads, "Six and the Single Girl." The six refers to the 'Stang's V6 engine: a "husky, suave brute" that will be "extraordinarily considerate of a girl's feelings." Hmm, sounds like a perfect boyfriend.

While I did see the Mustang at the World's Fair in NY my first ride was in my uncles in 1965. He was the casting plant manager in Cleveland and it's always stuck in my head that the car cost him $989. As upper management part of his perks was cost +10% for a new car. I loved his retirement as a VP car deal too. New Lincoln with insurance and service $135 a month - just add gas. When it hits 20,000 miles call we'll bring you a new one. We didn't get out first Mustang until early 66. First little Ford it had been Ranch Wagons and Tbirds before that.

From Motor Trend - Aug 2020:
Be part of the proud team to deliver Ford and Lincoln quality on the current model Mustang (S550) and the final sign off on the Ford 2023 S650 vehicle program,"
Yes, according to Ford's own job listing the next Mustang is due to arrive within the next few years as a 2023 model. Consider us surprised, because last our pals at Automobile heard, the S650 Mustang's on-sale date was pushed back to the latter half of the decade due to difficulties adapting the new Explorer's CD6 platform for pony-car duty. - at least it will be RWD but will the V8 be gone? The platform has only been I4 V6 and Hybrid so far. Maybe they will do a new Bullitt with the Gorilla motor. Nah they dumped the Bullitt so they could quit paying the McQueen family a royalty and revived a free name they already owned Mach1 - and to further blur the line between the true Mustang and the SUV Mustang Mach-E-dsel. 
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

gt350hr

Jim Farley knows racing sells.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

427heaven

Farley loved to race... and Bob Marley loved to to toke.. People loved to do that in the 60s as well as today... Whoda thunk?

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: gt350hr on April 26, 2021, 01:40:45 PM
   Jim Farley knows racing sells.
It's a hard sell in todays boardroom. Also his background has been more along promoting Ford's green image. Ford did hire him away from Toyota at the beginning of their eco push. Maybe that's why just this morning they announced their latest "track" ready car is the MachE-dsel https://performance.ford.com/enthusiasts/media-room/2021/4/mach-e-gt.html
They have realized youth is the future and back the NHRA kids program. The old boy network is still alive too - when Tasca's kid wanted to go drag racing the pulled sponsorship from proven winner John Force and funneled it to Tasca.

Farley also represents Ford on the U.S. China Business Council Board of Directors and has been appointed co-chair of the Future of Mobility Commission.
Previously, Farley served as president of New Businesses, Technology and Strategy. In this role, he led Ford's strategic transformation into a higher growth, higher margin business by leveraging smart, connected vehicles and breakthrough customer experiences. In this role, Farley oversaw Corporate Strategy, Global Data Insight and Analytics, Global Partnerships, Research & Advanced Engineering as well as Ford Smart Mobility and Ford Autonomous Vehicles.

Yeah I know Bill Ford gave him a waiver so he could go vintage racing. His paycheck has allowed him to add some neat stuff to the garage. 289 Cobra GT350 a couple street rods a Boss 302 (new 2012 gift from Ford), 66 GT40, 4 cyl Lola Cosworth, I don't know if he still has the 427 he bought right after he started at Ford. They also still have his wife's 87 BMW she bought new.

Bottom line he's one voice in the room and has to show the shareholders why producing excess carbon sells cars.

gt350hr

Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Side-Oilers

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on April 25, 2021, 05:41:37 PM
Take a look at the ad push. Probably 80% of the ad budget was aimed at the female buyer.

https://www.lamag.com/driver/lady-driver-how-the-mustang-shifted-gears-toward-women/

The six refers to the 'Stang's V6 engine

C'mon Brett, you know better.   ;D

BTW: Your uncle's perks of FoMoCo cars at cost + 10 is quite the perk.  So, that means a Mustang, at $989, was 10% over what it actually cost to build.

They made a few bucks on a million Mustangs in just two years.

Ford even reached out to single ladies, who hadn't previously been considered potential car buyers, lacking access to a husband's bank account. Playing on the bestselling, head-turning Sex and the Single Girl (written by Cosmopolitan's longtime editor-in-chief Helen Gurley Brown), one ad reads, "Six and the Single Girl." The six refers to the 'Stang's V6 engine: a "husky, suave brute" that will be "extraordinarily considerate of a girl's feelings." Hmm, sounds like a perfect boyfriend.

While I did see the Mustang at the World's Fair in NY my first ride was in my uncles in 1965. He was the casting plant manager in Cleveland and it's always stuck in my head that the car cost him $989. As upper management part of his perks was cost +10% for a new car. I loved his retirement as a VP car deal too. New Lincoln with insurance and service $135 a month - just add gas. When it hits 20,000 miles call we'll bring you a new one. We didn't get out first Mustang until early 66. First little Ford it had been Ranch Wagons and Tbirds before that.

From Motor Trend - Aug 2020:
Be part of the proud team to deliver Ford and Lincoln quality on the current model Mustang (S550) and the final sign off on the Ford 2023 S650 vehicle program,"
Yes, according to Ford's own job listing the next Mustang is due to arrive within the next few years as a 2023 model. Consider us surprised, because last our pals at Automobile heard, the S650 Mustang's on-sale date was pushed back to the latter half of the decade due to difficulties adapting the new Explorer's CD6 platform for pony-car duty. - at least it will be RWD but will the V8 be gone? The platform has only been I4 V6 and Hybrid so far. Maybe they will do a new Bullitt with the Gorilla motor. Nah they dumped the Bullitt so they could quit paying the McQueen family a royalty and revived a free name they already owned Mach1 - and to further blur the line between the true Mustang and the SUV Mustang Mach-E-dsel.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: Side-Oilers on April 28, 2021, 12:27:01 AM

BTW: Your uncle's perks of FoMoCo cars at cost + 10 is quite the perk.  So, that means a Mustang, at $989, was 10% over what it actually cost to build.

They made a few bucks on a million Mustangs in just two years.

They did limit him to 1 car every 2 years. But he got the A plan if he wanted more. He was also able to let my mom use that plan.  It's the old retail rule. They sell it to the dealer for twice what it cost them to build and then the dealer sells it to you for twice what they paid. It got to $3,600 real quick when you also added 300 for national advertising and another 150 for shipping.

Lincoln spent nearly $2,000 on each car they sold last year for ads. There is also 5,000+ in legacy costs per car to pay for retiree health care and other services. They also claim about $4,000 per car for engineering to meet safety and emissions. Then there is the $1,200 delivery charge. That means nearly 1/3 of todays car price is indirect costs.

Today's Ford's car perks have been pretty much set in the A/X/D etc plans - but there are still those contract deals for the VP and above and if you are able to become one of Ford's top 5 you'll never buy a car again which is a moot point when you're making 8-17 million a year.

BTW: The V6 gaff was theirs not mine. Our first 66 was the tried and tried and true Inline 200 cuin 6 so I know it wasn't a "husky, suave brute" either.

Side-Oilers

^^^^  And, that's why car companies keep such a top-secret ruling on any particular car's actual cost to build.   The customers would revolt.

Almost as crazy as the mark-ups in the jewelry industry.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

427heaven

So speaking for myself and the group I run with, no one cares about the NEW and improved Mustang... It is a far cry from where we began, The masses are not lining up at dealerships with orders to get one. An electric soccer mom car doesnt excite the senses like our vintage cars do. In the words of BB KING the (thrill is gone) at least with that new crap. When Chevy quit making the Camaro there were a lot of converts jumping to Mustang for performance needs. The bean counter non car people running the automotive world will be replaced with those that understand what a small segment of car owners want. Hopefully! :-[

FL SAAC

the whole industry is gone,  soon no more fun cars.

everyone will be riding in a box

The Guess Who said it in their song:

She's come undone
She didn't know what she was headed for
And when I found what she was headed for
It was too late

She's come undone
She found a mountain that was far too high
And when she found out she couldn't fly
It was too late

It's too late
She's gone too far
She's lost the sun

She's come undone
She wanted truth, but all she got was lies
Came the time to realize
And it was too late

She's come undone
She didn't know what she was headed for
And when I found what she was headed for
Mama, it was too late
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: 427heaven on April 29, 2021, 10:13:38 AM..... no one cares about the NEW and improved Mustang... ..... The masses are not lining up at dealerships with orders to get one. ......The bean counter non car people running the automotive world will be replaced with those that understand what a small segment of car owners want.......
- - - The Mustang has been setting sales records since the 6th Gen came out. Europe can't get enough of them.
This Mustang Day – the nameplate's 56th birthday – Mustang can now celebrate two global sales crowns, earning world's best-selling sports car and its fifth straight best-selling sports coupe title. Mustang is also America's best-selling sports car of the last 50 years.

As far as fun to drive there is nothing like the comfort/handling/etc of a new Mustang. Yes there is romance/history with the old ones but if I want to go for a fast drive in the canyon I'll hop in one with IRS and 450+hp with air conditioning. The bean counters understanding what a small segment wants only means - if you are willing to pay for it. They are already keeping it on the market for a small segment. They sold 122,000 in 2015 and sales had dropped to 72,000 by 2019. In 2019 they sold nearly 900,000 F150s. The sales drop from 2015 is typical. The first year of production a lot of people want the latest and greatest after that those cars keep filling the used market and increasing the pool of cars available that are not that much different than one on the showroom floor for a lot less money.

67 GT350

Quote from: Side-Oilers on April 28, 2021, 11:01:04 PM
^^^^  And, that's why car companies keep such a top-secret ruling on any particular car's actual cost to build.   The customers would revolt.

SO, how about the price some have paid for their 65, 66, 67, 68, 69 Shelbys? Nah....no huge profit there when they go and try to sell.
Just sayin. LOL
RARE  Signature Delete

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: 67 GT350 on April 29, 2021, 09:12:35 PM
Quote from: Side-Oilers on April 28, 2021, 11:01:04 PM

SO, how about the price some have paid for their 65, 66, 67, 68, 69 Shelbys? Nah....no huge profit there when they go and try to sell.
Just sayin. LOL
This is about new not collectable. Whole different story - Unless you are talking Ford GT. With the 06-06 ones hitting twice their purchase price in just 10 short years. Ford took the lead and put those profits in the sale of the latest one. $400,000+ and since the ones hitting the market are getting a million the next round of GTs will start at a million.

Don Johnston

Not only has the Mustang name been bastardized with an electric model, Ford is resurrecting the Lightning truck name for an electric F150. Of course, lightning is an electric concept.   :-[

https://fordauthority.com/2021/04/2023-ford-f-150-electric-pickup-will-resurrect-the-lightning-name/