News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Carroll Shelby

Started by FL SAAC, September 23, 2019, 01:04:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6972boss

Cool post! I met Mr Shelby at the palm springs vintage races in 1994(?) I had my GT500  there and he walked up, noticed my engine had some oil seeping from the valve covers and head gaskets and also had rock chips all over the front end.
He looks my car over and asks,  "is this your car?" I reply yes sir, he says "looks like you drive the SOB, i like that"
In 2004 i took my GT500 to his open house in Vegas.  I got got the chance to walk with him through the show field.  I cant repeat most of the things he said but he did say this of a certain (nameless, of course) shelby mustang restorer, " that idiot couldnt pour water out of a boot if the instructions were written on the heel" i lost it and had to walk away to wipe the tears from my eyes.  No filter, no worries! What a great man! Those short times are cherished.

1967 eight barrel

I was with Chrysler Corp, but It was 1991. I am sure you remember the Skiltons.  Eric Holder?

Side-Oilers

Yes, I knew Clive.  Great to work with.  I don't recall a Eric Holder.

Who did you work with at Chrysler?  Joe Tetherow was the Chrysler PR guy out here in the '80s-'90s, then went to Toyota.   
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

1967 eight barrel

I don't have much positive to say about Darren or Clive.  Eric was driving until Clive decided to give Darren the driver's seat.

Side-Oilers

We just have our own experiences to go on, and Clive was always easy for me to deal with.

Who did you work with at Chrysler?

Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

FL SAAC

drive them, love this guy !

Quote from: 6972boss on September 28, 2019, 12:41:58 AM
Cool post! I met Mr Shelby at the palm springs vintage races in 1994(?) I had my GT500  there and he walked up, noticed my engine had some oil seeping from the valve covers and head gaskets and also had rock chips all over the front end.
He looks my car over and asks,  "is this your car?" I reply yes sir, he says "looks like you drive the SOB, i like that"
I
n 2004 i took my GT500 to his open house in Vegas.  I got got the chance to walk with him through the show field.  I cant repeat most of the things he said but he did say this of a certain (nameless, of course) shelby mustang restorer, " that idiot couldnt pour water out of a boot if the instructions were written on the heel" i lost it and had to walk away to wipe the tears from my eyes.  No filter, no worries! What a great man! Those short times are cherished.
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

FL SAAC

DG JG DT AG JS BJ KM CS CA II

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

6'1'' it is thank you

Quote from: 1967 eight barrel on September 23, 2019, 02:47:55 PM
He was 6'1". I used to sit around in the Gardena, Ca tire Goodyear tire warehouse and talk with him and Lil' Joe.  I am 6'0" and he was slightly taller than I was.
Probably one of the most direct and opinionated individuals I've ever met.  You never had to second guess what he was thinking.

-Keith

I have all UNGOLD cars