News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

KR Hood hinges

Started by Steve Meltzer, April 05, 2024, 10:47:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Meltzer

I believe that one of the hood hinges on my KR is defective and I want to replace it. can someone give me a paint color in rattle form, to make these look appropriate. I believe it is some kind of gray, but a specific maker and paint number would be great. Thanks Steve Meltzer.

Royce Peterson

Quote from: Steve Meltzer on April 05, 2024, 10:47:02 AM
I believe that one of the hood hinges on my KR is defective and I want to replace it. can someone give me a paint color in rattle form, to make these look appropriate. I believe it is some kind of gray, but a specific maker and paint number would be great. Thanks Steve Meltzer.

The original finish on the hood hinges is phosphate and oil. I have not tried this but it is supposed to resemble the original finish.

https://www.eastwood.com/search/?q=eastwood%20zinc%20phosphate%20aerosol%2012%20oz
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

J_Speegle

Be aware that paint will not outlast plating. In both cases the hinges will rub the bases and on the painted surfaces will rust. On plated (if cared for with the use of preserving oil) will not or should not rust if you keep up the application

For the painted don't clear coat it. And if applied to heavy it will leave a smooth somewhat glossy finish neither something you are looking for. Also using paint will take more effort when it comes time to repaint and is much more difficult to touch up if it can be  where the P&O can be touched up in place (depending on where the issue is)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

shelbymann1970

Phosphating isn't that expensive to have done and is highly recommended over paint which will rub off when opening and closing the hood. Usually a bulk price so gather up a bunch of parts or split the bill with a friend like I did a few years ago getting some hinges, springs, fasteners and other part plated.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Royce Peterson on April 05, 2024, 11:41:02 AM

The original finish on the hood hinges is phosphate and oil. I have not tried this but it is supposed to resemble the original finish.

https://www.eastwood.com/search/?q=eastwood%20zinc%20phosphate%20aerosol%2012%20oz
The Eastwood product is typically too dark.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

OldMil

Has anyone ever put together a list of all the parts that should be phosphate. or a good start to a list?

Steve Meltzer

Okay, I've learned that all hood hinges are the same for 1968 Mustangs. However, KRs with their fiberglass hoods, require different springs. Having said, that I now see that the repro hinges available don't look like the originals on my car, one of which is defective. Is there someone who can  recondition and refurbish my old hinges? Thanks Steve

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Steve Meltzer on April 16, 2024, 08:14:58 PMOkay, I've learned that all hood hinges are the same for 1968 Mustangs. However, KRs with their fiberglass hoods, require different springs. Having said, that I now see that the repro hinges available don't look like the originals on my car, one of which is defective. Is there someone who can  recondition and refurbish my old hinges? Thanks Steve
Most of use find another set of original hinges and recondition them so they look like the rest of the parts under the hood.Junk yards,swap meets ,parts cars etc.I would suggest you contact Marcus since you have done business with him before and source the hinges through him. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Coralsnake

"However, KRs with their fiberglass hoods, require different springs. "

Not correct.

The springs and hinges are stock Mustang parts and not unique to Shelbys or KRs.

The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

68stangcjfb

Quote from: Steve Meltzer on April 16, 2024, 08:14:58 PMOkay, I've learned that all hood hinges are the same for 1968 Mustangs. However, KRs with their fiberglass hoods, require different springs. Having said, that I now see that the repro hinges available don't look like the originals on my car, one of which is defective. Is there someone who can  recondition and refurbish my old hinges? Thanks Steve

There are early and late hood hinges. From what I've been told, 1967 style hinges were used until around March of 1968 depending on the plant. (I lost points for having the early hinges on my May 7th, 1968 built Dearborn Mustang in MCA concourse trailered). The late hinges were used from around March 1968 until the end of 1970 production. Most original hinges are date coded. There are also reports of some cars having an early hinge on side and a late hinge on the other. Do your homework before spending any money on hinges.
https://anghelrestorations.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/hood_hinges_v1.1.pdf
68 1/2 CJ Mustang GT FB auto 3.91s 68 1/2 CJ Torino GT FB 3.91s 60 Thunderbird 64 Falcon Sprint conv. 4Spd 65 Falcon Sedan Delivery 67 Fairlane 500 SW 428 4Spd, 68 Torino 4dr 95 Thunderbird SC. 89 F250 Supercab 2wd, 98 Mustang conv. 99 Jeep Cherokee 2002 Thunderbird. 96 Harley FLSTN Heritage Special

Steve Meltzer

Thank you all for your input on this post. Having looked over all the information you've provided, the situation with these hood hinges is now clear as mud. Let me go back to square one. This car, number 03661, is the Ben Wagoner car. Three times a Gold Crown winner, and thus as accurate as it could be.

When I got the car, the hood sat significantly proud to the left fender. I was told by several people that it would not be easy to repair, and that I probably would be best living with this problem. However, I spoke with Ben, who told me that it was not like that when he owned it and probably the hinge on the driver's side needed adjustment. My guy agreed, and adjusted it as much as he could, but thought that the hinge was defective. That's where this whole saga began.

Indeed, replacing the hinge, with the only thing available, a reproduction hinge with a "KR fiberglass hood spring", yielded an excellent result, but not quite as good as I would like. (another downside to being OCD!)

My question now is, if I have the original hinges rebuilt, and those pictures are attached, might I expect an even better result? And if I replace the repro hinges with rep built originals, I assume I should use the large diameter springs that were on it originally. Is this correct? I'm guessing that the springs are really unrelated to the hood alignment. Is this correct? So that is why I'm trying to find someone with expertise in rebuilding these hinges and Marcus does not do it. (I know because I asked.)

Thanks again for helping me. Steve.

Steve Meltzer

I wanted to post pictures of my orginal hinges. thanx again. steve

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Steve Meltzer on April 18, 2024, 10:10:17 PMThank you all for your input on this post. Having looked over all the information you've provided, the situation with these hood hinges is now clear as mud. Let me go back to square one. This car, number 03661, is the Ben Wagoner car. Three times a Gold Crown winner, and thus as accurate as it could be.

When I got the car, the hood sat significantly proud to the left fender. I was told by several people that it would not be easy to repair, and that I probably would be best living with this problem. However, I spoke with Ben, who told me that it was not like that when he owned it and probably the hinge on the driver's side needed adjustment. My guy agreed, and adjusted it as much as he could, but thought that the hinge was defective. That's where this whole saga began.

Indeed, replacing the hinge, with the only thing available, a reproduction hinge with a "KR fiberglass hood spring", yielded an excellent result, but not quite as good as I would like. (another downside to being OCD!)

My question now is, if I have the original hinges rebuilt, and those pictures are attached, might I expect an even better result? And if I replace the repro hinges with rep built originals, I assume I should use the large diameter springs that were on it originally. Is this correct? I'm guessing that the springs are really unrelated to the hood alignment. Is this correct? So that is why I'm trying to find someone with expertise in rebuilding these hinges and Marcus does not do it. (I know because I asked.)

Thanks again for helping me. Steve.
Typically the hinges are taken out of service and considered bad because one or both become loose where they pivot. I have had good luck by putting the hinge at the rivet joint in a hydraulic press and taking the loose clearance away by press smashing the rivet down more. This solves most of the possible problems but not all. The hole that the rivet is pressed into can become enlarged which can be fixed but much more effort and cost. Good hinges are still plentiful on the used market and is why I would never consider the 250.00 plus charge each I hear tell of for rebuilders. Of course it is easier for me to replace and restore hinges then you. If you decide to go the rebuild route then you would have to do both so that they match each other. I doubt they will come back with a finish like what was on them when Ben did the car however.

Bob Gaines

I have never used repro hinges but I can only imagine that there is a compromise in ether look or performance like there is with most repro parts.

Royce Peterson

The reproduction hinges are a joke. Typical Scott Drake lack of quality. If you were in space looking at them through a telescope they might be acceptable. Otherwise restore a set of originals.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock